New Trail-Gear 80 series tube bumpers... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's a fantastic price... Is this a case of "you get what you pay for"

I have no experience with Trail Gear stuff

I have used their cheapo sliders and they held up extremely well. I think this is a case of, "get a chinese factory to bend DOM tubing in bulk and the price drops like mad."

I have used their cheapo sliders and they held up extremely well. I think this is a case of, "get a chinese factory to bend DOM tubing in bulk and the price drops like mad."
...and if the Chinese bumper price isn't mad enough for you, the Metal Tech front bumper is on sale through April 29th for $450. Sales and Specials if you miss the sale, call and talk to them. They gave me a sale price a day or two after one ad ended an another started. (...so I could buy sliders and shocks advertised in two different month's ads.) The BIO front bumper looks great IMO, and is $550. 80 Custom Tube Front Bumper for Toyota Land Cruiser Both of those US made bumpers include sturdy locations to attach a shackle.

Not to say I'm not considering the Chinese bumper, but there are US made options for similar pricing.

Not saying anything about quality or material used, but I prefer the look of the TG front tube bumper vs. the MT one.
Plus I have used the TG sliders before and they worked great.

Of the $400-500 bumpers I think the better looking is BIO. It also has the AC drier protection.

The AC drier protection is nice but I think a shop that does welding could build you one out of scrap pieces for less than the difference in cost between the two bumpers.

I have their sliders on my 80 and they've been great, just wanted to share that anecdotal evidence.

There is value in having recovery points included. I was just looking at a thread in the winching section, where they were discussing pros and cons of some. Possible recovery points For people who don't trust the factory tie down points as recovery points (those loops on the bottom of the frame were for securing the vehicle in transit, not recovery points), spending $75 - $90 per bracket is a consideration. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/universal-recovery-brackets-urbs.634825/ The MetalTech and BIO bumpers have them built in.

I'm glad to see Trail Gear came out with front and rear bumpers for the 80. The front bumper looks good, and I bet it's plenty sturdy. I think too sturdy is a bad thing for a bumper anyway. I want it to bend before my frame goes. The TG rear is not appealing to me. I hope they consider a redesign, or perhaps they'll sell a ton to people who think it looks awesome.

There is value in having recovery points included. I was just looking at a thread in the winching section, where they were discussing pros and cons of some. Possible recovery points For people who don't trust the factory tie down points as recovery points (those loops on the bottom of the frame were for securing the vehicle in transit, not recovery points), spending $75 - $90 per bracket is a consideration. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/universal-recovery-brackets-urbs.634825/ The MetalTech and BIO bumpers have them built in.

I'm glad to see Trail Gear came out with front and rear bumpers for the 80. The front bumper looks good, and I bet it's plenty sturdy. I think too sturdy is a bad thing for a bumper anyway. I want it to bend before my frame goes. The TG rear is not appealing to me. I hope they consider a redesign, or perhaps they'll sell a ton to people who think it looks awesome.
The design is partially to support "branding" since it's the same basic tube design they've been using on their other Tacoma/4Runner/Minitruck bumpers. Again, I was extremely pleased with my TG bumper on my Tacoma. I've now had 3 sets of TG sliders made from the same material as this bumper that I have abused with zero issues.
As for the recovery points, the front receiver is an excellent recover point. So the TG is definitely not "missing" recovery points.
I realize the styling is not for everyone, but that's the case with any other option too. Some will like it, some will not. Neither opinion is wrong.

Get this mounted already pls!. Trailgear Canada has a 20% of sale until May first and I am super close to pulling the trigger but want to see this mounted!!

Isn't that what's on the first post?????

303941-1-KIT_ID_1_LR.jpg

The rear should look more like this if the want to keep the same TG look but better.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445563850.449698.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445563822.090127.jpg

Not this.
Granted they are doing their best without cutting the rear cross member.
Maybe they should offer both types.
20160406_121111-jpg.1237500

Last edited:
Sorry if someone has already talked about this earlier but does anyone know if this winch plate would fit under the stock front bumper?

Thanks!

The rear should look more like this if the want to keep the same TG look but better.
View attachment 1250578 View attachment 1250579

Granted they are doing their best without cutting the rear cross member.
Maybe they should offer both types.
I understand reasons why so few merchants want to market car parts that require modifications to the frame. I'd be pretty interested in the bumper pictured above, at the same price point as the current TG rear bumper offering.

painted and mounted, imho my rig doesn't do it any favors but the bumper looks great. super easy install. View attachment 1250840 View attachment 1250841 View attachment 1250844 View attachment 1250850 View attachment 1250851
I really like the look of the front bumper, despite the concerns I and others have mentioned. (No AC drier protection, and needing to use an unrated 2" receiver or the bumper tubes as anchor points.) Neither of those concerns are deal breakers for me, but they are concerns.

Sorry if someone has already talked about this earlier but does anyone know if this winch plate would fit under the stock front bumper?

Thanks!
I don't think that was what they intended, and it sits high enough that you'd certainly need to cut some of the stock bumper out to clear the top of the winch. It looks you'd also need to cut the front of the bumper. Not just for the winch line to pass through, but also because the plate appears to project well past the front frame horns

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure if you install the winch plate, you'd cover up the holes for mounting up the stock bumper brackets, but not positive. Maybe HAAANK can help you out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom