New Trail-Gear 80 series tube bumpers... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was looking at the bumper, was a little unclear if you had to have the winch plate to mount the tube bumper? Any one know the answer to that one

i was looking at the instructions. the bumper bolts on to the frame horns - eight bolts total.

I believe the bumper has the winch plate already. It doesn't seem to say anything about it being needed to mount the winch, even addressing that it does not support roller fairleads, only the hawse style.

Nice pricing. Tough decision now. BIOR or TG front bumper....:hmm:

I was thinking the same thing. i wonder which bumper extends more from the body. I think the BIOR tube bumper has the winch mounting lower and therefore more "tucked in" but cant tell for sure.

...and can anyone tell how the winch plate bolts in? Same 8 bolts as the front bumper, or something else? Is it drilled for the winch (and if so which winches), or just holes to mount the fairlead? https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/FJ80_Winch_Mount/i_0_0_4853/_303943-1-KIT.aspx#.Vx7tDkeUxGk
I think it's safe to say the winch plate is a fully welded part of the bumper. The TG bumper for my Tacoma was that way. TG has offered the winch plates as a stand-alone piece for the DIY guys that want to build something of their own but utilize a sturdy winch mount.

...and can anyone tell how the winch plate bolts in? Same 8 bolts as the front bumper, or something else? Is it drilled for the winch (and if so which winches), or just holes to mount the fairlead? https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/FJ80_Winch_Mount/i_0_0_4853/_303943-1-KIT.aspx#.Vx7tDkeUxGk

The winch plate is integral to the bumper. If you buy a bumper, that bumper is welded onto the winch plate and you get the whole package as one item.

They give you the option to buy just a winch plate (and no bumper) if you would like to make your own bumper using the winch plate as a starting point (or if you want to go mad max style and just have a winch hanging off the front of the truck).

It is drilled for a variety of up-to 9k winches, but you'll need to trim your grille or valence if running a larger winch.

Mounting looks to be two bolts on the top of each frame rail, and two bolts on the bottom of each frame rail (the holes the factory tow hooks mount to, factory tow hooks are eliminated with this bumper).

All the details you're looking for are on the TG website if you click through all the information tabs.

I think you could still use the factory tow hook with this bumper if you want. Just bolt them on with the bumper. Having had the TG bumper on my Tacoma, I really liked the hitch receiver and used that as my primary recovery point instead of the questionable factory ones.

True, the instructions say to remove them, but you could just bolt them back on. The tow hooks are the primary rock-anchor on my front end, so I would definitely lose them personally.

I checked with tg to see if the front bumper was compatible with a warn 8274. They told me it is not in case anybody else was wondering.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Shipping was super quick. It arrived sometime yesterday afternoon while I was at work.

Looks like the winch plate is included

Not pictured: hardware

Very tempting. Anyone have a picture of this installed?

Just saw the winch plate. That's sick. Looks way better than my ultra custom Harbor Freight shorty bumper! :hillbilly:

IMG_0177.JPG

I was actually considering going the harbor freight route before this TG bumper came up. I think I will definitely be getting the TG winch plate, if not the whole shebang.

Wow, thanks for the pics @HAAANK !
I can't wait to see it on your rig.

Sacramento/NorCal group buy on these?

They look good, the front especially. The rear hangs a little low impo but for the price it's a great deal!

Definitely like the front the best. The rear is functional but not to my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom