Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A buddy of mine put some in his 22RE. A few months later he needed a new heater core, new radiator, etc. He might as well just cracked a couple eggs in there for all the good it done.
I’m really disappointed that Richie would suggest it after the things I read online and here. I actually knew it was a bad idea but you know how easily it is to get sold. After all I’ve done it’s kinda sad hed steer me to such a potentially bad cheap fix.

58380595_10217607650879507_3256404836156964864_n - Copy.jpg

Years ago a friend had a corolla with a 4age and a leaky head gasket we used to put crc stop leak in it every couple of weeks it did around 40thou ks like that being utterly thrashed but definitly not a permanent fix.
I'd pull the gaurd it's fiddly but not hard. Nice bonus is its not your daily driver.

F, you can do without a fender. :)

Years ago a friend had a corolla with a 4age and a leaky head gasket we used to put crc stop leak in it every couple of weeks it did around 40thou ks like that being utterly thrashed but definitly not a permanent fix.

The stuff does work to stop leaks (or at least it used to.) Sprung a leak far from home in my 77 Pinto. Turns out the rad was simply corroding away to a slimy green mess. I bought that stuff at a truck stop and dumped it in. Not only did I get home but it held for at least another year. But will will fully clog passages that are already starting to close up due to corrosion or buildup.

Anyone ever hear of Blue Devil for stopping leaks? I was told you drain your coolant, fill w/ water, add the bottle of blue devil. Bring it up to temp and it goes to where the oxygen is bubbling in, seals that spot. Then drain out and refill w/ coolant. Edited! Ack! Multiple bad reviews as of just a few months ago! Forget it. Nothing to see here, skip ahead!

The plug is definitely leaking. Not as much while trick is running, more once shut down which makes sense. I’m still just thinking a lot. This is a photo of the plug before I started the engine earlier.

Kept getting a dribble from my top hose where it connects to the radiator, adjusted it and might add a worm gear clamp next to the stock clamp if I find one.

I would like to get the truck rolling even just across the street but still fighting a soft brake pedal. Adjusted the drums out a bit more, I think I hadn’t enough when I put them back on. Rain increased from a mist to a steady gross drizzle and I’m back inside to eat a late breakfast.

Working 3-11 today, Sat and Sun. Weather forecast will be better tomorrow.

1F559943-AFF4-4AD9-BB1C-64D0CB7287E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Couple drives across the street to the church lot which is maybe a 1/10th of a mile circle... shoes making a nice swishy noise when braking. (Drums were turned). Adjusted shoes. Still make a rubbing sound but less when braking. Get up and go is hard to gauge after driving the Mazda. Drove around church a handful of times. Goosed it and it’s def peppy but not as much from a stop when pulling out of driveway. Turned up diz a smidge and tried again. Maybe a bit better.

Freeze plug def needs to get changed out. Steady drip drip, 1/2c in about 30 mins.

Drippy drips from front crank oil seal or possibly more from timing cover plate.

Almost comical, there is no perfect in a 2F.

Felt awesome just sitting at the end of drive, cars all zooming by knowing this hunk of Japanese steel tho drippy, is running and rolling by my hands.

Figured a couple pics w/ the hood up would be kinda hilarious.

4814500B-E988-41F7-95A0-F1CDEED321D9.jpeg

F0F555A2-F55B-4969-8F0D-D7B39A901F50.jpeg

Last edited:
Couple drives across the street to the church lot which is maybe a 1/10th of a mile circle... shoes making a nice swishy noise when braking. (Drums were turned). Adjusted shoes. Still make a rubbing sound but less when braking. Get up and go is hard to gauge after driving the Mazda. Drove around church a handful of times. Goosed it and it’s def peppy but not as much from a stop when pulling out of driveway. Turned up diz a smidge and tried again. Maybe a bit better.

Freeze plug def needs to get changed out. Steady drip drip, 1/2c in about 30 mins.

Drippy drips from front crank oil seal or possibly more from timing cover plate.

Almost comical, there is no perfect in a 2F.

Felt awesome just sitting at the end of drive, cars all zooming by knowing this hunk of Japanese steel tho drippy, is running and rolling by my hands.

Figured a couple pics w/ the hood up would be kinda hilarious.

View attachment 2495166

View attachment 2495167
I did my timing cover and front main last month and it’s nice and sealed up... but the timing plate gasket has sprung a leak now.... our friend karma....

I went and looked at a 87 tonight. Frame good, 230k, 5-speed, rusty quarters and fenders, desmogged with a Webber for $3k. Sold two hours later... I shoulda jumped. Oh well.

I went and looked at a 87 tonight. Frame good, 230k, 5-speed, rusty quarters and fenders, desmogged with a Webber for $3k. Sold two hours later... I shoulda jumped. Oh well.
Too bad silly. I even have a carb w/ a rebuilt throttle bushing.

Directline of sight.

715175C7-D8FF-481F-B639-EEBB5E19016A.jpeg

Had come across this new thread on weird freeze plug failure in the HAMB site which I love.

Last edited:
Making it happen.

0C058DA4-451D-4E5C-91C1-3B13E9F2E3F2.jpeg

697A6FFE-BEBF-4D32-9A12-602D210F9D90.jpeg

image.jpg

It’s in. I’m not going to discuss it further. It was a fowking BEAST to do. 600 grit sand paper to the ID. Worked on it until 2pm. Flew out the door at 2:25 w/ not 100% clean nails for work. At least I have to wear gloves for all patient care so no one except my coworkers will see.

3491B1A2-BA6D-4BE3-8304-2E15FA71B0CC.jpeg

34A65D4A-6222-4B8F-9842-DFB38CC98BF3.jpeg

27B4EA18-9CE2-481B-879E-5305028FED75.jpeg

Those were my friends plus a 2lb mallet.

25F275A5-03EF-479E-85C4-F89416F38E60.jpeg

That's one helluva contraption! Look at you, taking care of it like a boss. Re-working things sucks but at times it has to be done. Nice going.
Just so it makes more sense... tape was to keep the wobble adapter from wobbling too much. Pipe slide over extensions was to make the act of hammering more effective from at fender height.

F452405E-FBBA-49F2-8A69-4592EFE02796.jpeg

Just came across this tool designed for installing freeze plugs in situ. Basically the same thing I made. ABN Diesel Freeze Plug Remover 10pk Frost Plug Installation Tools Installer | eBay

In background, I cleaned up booster and gave it a spray or three of black paint.

Last edited:
Homemade Ace Hardware cut your own paper gasket material suffice to replace this sad one for the booster?

F3BDC240-BFE5-49F6-B1C9-4F444CC8072A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom