Why Not Camber Plates on 2.5 - 3 Inch Lift as Opposed to Camber Bushings? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
EDITED: I feel like the answer is right under my nose, but I am not seeing it......why do caster plates seem to be designed for +4 inch lifts but not smaller? This crossed my mind after reading a couple recent threads about caster bushings falling apart and the thought that OEM bushings have the best longevity. So, when adding a 2.5 lift, why not keep the OEM bushings and go with caster plates?

Thanks

Last edited:
believe you are confusing castor and camber..... big difference.

Only camber adjustments Im aware of are the offset trunion bearing races Autocraft has detailed and Slee sells 1* or 3*

but for your ? sometimes on less lift they will cause contact with the relay rod and front control arms.
I would not be concerned about the amount of castor added if they did not cause any interferance.

one option would be to use OEM bushes and do the washer mod to dial in castor.

believe you are confusing castor and camber..... big difference.

Only camber adjustments Im aware of are the offset trunion bearing races Autocraft has detailed and Slee sells 1* or 3*

but for your ? sometimes on less lift they will cause contact with the relay rod and front control arms.
I would not be concerned about the amount of castor added if they did not cause any interferance.

Yes, as soon as I hit submit I noticed I had the wrong term.......cant figure out how to change the title.

Should be a thread tools button at top on right side across from title.... it might be a silver star privelage. ask nice and im sure a moderator could take care of you.

To your initial q -- I've been on both & really you can get caster plates for less lift but OME doing those offset urethane bushes became a norm I guess.

I'm not surprised if you saw threads about wearing them out, but without looking myself I bet the owners have 60K+ on them, or swaybar disconnects. They are due for new bushes.

If you're handy you could make some plates yourself, or a vendor here might chime in with his plates - either way I prefer them to either the washer mod or those Man-a-Fre drop brackets, but for strictly a mild use / road 80 they probably give better road manners.

Washer mod is less reversible than those drop brackets, so there's that.

My 80 isn't a DD, so YMMV.

To your initial q -- I've been on both & really you can get caster plates for less lift but OME doing those offset urethane bushes became a norm I guess.

I'm not surprised if you saw threads about wearing them out, but without looking myself I bet the owners have 60K+ on them, or swaybar disconnects. They are due for new bushes.

If you're handy you could make some plates yourself, or a vendor here might chime in with his plates - either way I prefer them to either the washer mod or those Man-a-Fre drop brackets, but for strictly a mild use / road 80 they probably give better road manners.

Washer mod is less reversible than those drop brackets, so there's that.

My 80 isn't a DD, so YMMV.

Good insight. Thanks

The bushings are cheaper, but of course you must replace when they wear out. @sleeoffroad actually has adjustable caster bushing and caster bearings too which sit top and bottom of the knuckle housing (i think). Not sure if either option is good or bad. Never used em

The bushings are cheaper, but of course you must replace when they wear out. @sleeoffroad actually has adjustable caster bushing and caster bearings too which sit top and bottom of the knuckle housing (i think). Not sure if either option is good or bad. Never used em

Regardless of whatever solution you go with, OEM rubber will NEVER fail or deteriorate the way non-rubber/poly bushings or non-OEM rubber bushings do.

There are 2-3" lift caster plates in the works, from what I hear ;)

Oh and they retain OEM rubber bushings.
Need someone to test them out?

I have a set of slee caster plates that I plan to install with stock bushings on a 2" lift whenever I get around to it. I'll let you know how it goes :eek:

non-OEM rubber offset bushings should last longer than poly, however.

But.. to directly answer the question about why the current plates are only offered for 4+.. they add too much caster to a 2" lift, because they assume the radius arm is turned downward the amount required for a 4+" lift. With only 2-3" lift the currently offered plates tilt the axle backward too far.

IMO, as long as there aren't any parts rubbing (tie rod on suspension arms), the more caster the better. And if these parts don't rub at 4" lift, they shouldn't rub at 2" lift or even stock height, since the relationship of the axle/knuckles to the radius arms doesn't change with lift hight, just the radius arms to the frame. So I'm gonna give it a shot. :hillbilly:

I also really like the idea of the offset trunion bearings (rich man's cut and turn), but with no knuckle job in sight, I would hate to do all that work just to install the bearings.

Hey...good question. I think it would be so much easier not having to do the urethane bushings. Don't Jeep (do I get banned for the 'J' word?) owners do this when they lift?

There are 2-3" lift caster plates in the works, from what I hear ;)

Oh and they retain OEM rubber bushings.
How many projects "in the works" does that make for you? 349? In all seriousness though, your commitment to developing products for a 20+ year old truck is what makes this place so great.

Appreciate the spectacular service the other day as well (I am the guy who had to exchange the shirt.) I will be ordering a few more things within the upcoming weeks and will continue to do so as long as I have my 80 (which we all know means forever.)

Keep up the great work, you have at least one more loyal customer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom