Why do i not have marker lights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im really wondering why i dont have rear marker lights??? Clearly a 82 would have them from the factory. The 42 was rebuilt 10-12 years ago with new side panels, but every aftermarket side panels i see have the holes for marker lights cut out already. I cant seem to find early enough panels that don't if they are even made.

Weird.

Guess i should have looked a little harder i found some from CCOT without the marker light cutouts. I should look to see if the wiring is still hiding somewhere in the back.

Guess it was redone with older side panels...

That's a Canadian BJ42 right? Not sure about Canadian, but JDM and other market 40s didn't come with markers. Wondering if you every had them and if so if the body shop used non USA panels.

Canada has required side markers since 1970 so pretty much in line with the USA
And what was available for panels ten years ago could be vastly different from today

It does make sense offering quarter panels without the cut out since prior to the 70 model there was no clearance lights but just reflectors. Easier to cut a hole than fill one. Never realized JDM did not have clearance lights. How did the handle the front turn signal after the 74 model? Those have a front clearance as of the light.

So i found the plug for the marker on the passenger side but cant seem to find the one for the driver side. Anyone have an idea or drawing or pic of where it runs? Does it pigtail off another wire somewhere in the rear area.

tmp_10315-20170203_151726450921918.jpg
It does make sense offering quarter panels without the cut out since prior to the 70 model there was no clearance lights but just reflectors. Easier to cut a hole than fill one. Never realized JDM did not have clearance lights. How did the handle the front turn signal after the 74 model? Those have a front clearance as of the light.

Later JDMs use front turn lamps like the US models have. Here's two BJ44s and a BJ46.

View attachment 1395036

Later JDMs use front turn lamps like the US models have. Here's two BJ44s and a BJ46.

Thanks Dan, so they have late model turn signal up front but no marker lights in the back? How the rear reflectors that bolt to corner of the tub? Interesting thought the fender mounted mirrors were standard on K While we're at it about infro on the M42 transmission in my 76?

Well the passenger pig tail is there but no dice on the driverside. It comes up from the wheel well where the license plate wire comes out. Anyone have an idea where it comes from to the rear? Im thinking now i really want the marker lights and will be cutting holes for them.

Well the passenger pig tail is there but no dice on the driverside. It comes up from the wheel well where the license plate wire comes out. Anyone have an idea where it comes from to the rear? Im thinking now i really want the marker lights and will be cutting holes for them.

I think that it comes up in the same spot on yhe drivers side, just inside the rear door behind the pillar.

I can add that to my list of pics I need to get for you!

Are you trying to bring it back to OEM?

Or, just make it functional... e.g. Make marker lights work?

Marker lights work if if the taillight wire...

To make it functional, you could just splice into the driver side taillight (solid green) wire. I would run a good ground as well. Done.

To make it OEM, contact @Coolerman to buy matching connectors.

Your driver side should have the same connector as the passenger side, but... It could be plulled back to the drivers taillight... Or to the bumper... Or anywhere in between.

Just want to have them ill tap into the twilight if i cant find it hiding anywhere.

Fingers crossed...

Some pics from my 79 wiring. Top side of fender well, bottom side of fender, driver's side frame cross member, then same thing on the passenger side. It ties in to the loom with the driver's taillight and then goes across the back and ties in with all the other looms. Good luck.

IMG_4617.JPG

IMG_4618.JPG

IMG_4619.JPG

IMG_4620.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom