What's my motor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's my engine? I live in Ecuador and recently bought a 1967 FJ40 hardtop. I couldn't resist it, and after much negotiations I paid $4,500. US. I knew the motor needed work, as well as the body which has a lot of Bondo. My mechanic pulled the motor and we decided to rebuild it top to bottom. It's a straight six and we thought it was a 4.2 litre. Also it's got a three speed on the floor and 4x4 works. There is no such thing as a VIN in Ecuador, only a Frame Serial Number and Engine Serial Number. The machine shop that is doing the milling said they don't know what the motor is and are ordering the necessary parts by measuring them. I have been searching the Internet with the hope of finding a website that can identify my engine, but no luck yet. If anyone can help or send me in the right direction, I would sure appreciate it. Frame: FJ4046156, Engine: F1126CBJ12W212057 Thanks.

Check here - Land Cruiser Engine Numbers Look for the engine number stamped on the block b/w the distributor and rear of the engine.

Stock would've been the F135. Also, looks like based on your frame number, the truck was actually produced in late 1965, but titled as a 1967...which is not out of the norm for the way it was done back then. I have no clue if the truck being in Ecuador makes a difference.

If it’s petrol and the original engine, it’s an “F”

This information is from Wikipedia and appears to be pretty accurate... it lists displacement, etc. Toyota F engine - Wikipedia

Pictures of your engine would help identify any anomalies or specifics concerning your engine.

Welcome!!

Last edited:
I didn't find my engine number on the 'Land Cruiser Engine Number' website, so it is probably not the original motor. When the motor comes back from the machine shop i will post some photos of it. Thanks for everyones help.

A 67 FJ40 should have a F135 engine. Last model year for that engine. Oil fill should be on the right side in front of the distributor. The valve cover should not be flat but higher in the center. Intake manifold should be round. Cylinder 2/3 then 4/5 will share the same exhaust port.

A 67 FJ40 should have a F135 engine. Last model year for that engine. Oil fill should be on the right side in front of the distributor. The valve cover should not be flat but higher in the center. Intake manifold should be round. Cylinder 2/3 then 4/5 will share the same exhaust port.

I forgot that i took these two photos after we pulled the motor and removed the head. Anyone recognize it. I'll post better photos when i get the motor back.
IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3969.jpg

Hopefully you’ll be able to get new pistons and parts. Whereas a parts for an F motor has become obsolete and many parts are no longer available.

Plan on rebuilding the transmission and transfer case now. That GM motor has a lot more poop than the original Toyota one, and things need to be snug in there or they won’t last long with that extra power.

Plan on rebuilding the transmission and transfer case now. That GM motor has a lot more poop than the original Toyota one, and things need to be snug in there or they won’t last long with that extra power.
A lot more??? Not saying you shouldn’t rebuild them, but if they stood up behind V8s why the concern about a 155hp l6?

Three speeds have been said to be marginal behind a V8.... but I ran a 300 hp V8 in front of a 4 speed for twenty years, and now have a 200 ish hp V8 in front of it. The ‘72 350 was only rated at 165 hp with a Rochester Quadrajet..I’m curious to know where it sits now (RV cam, 1406 edelbrock...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom