What the hell is goin on in Jimmy's Barn (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

499019.jpg

If you haven't picked up on sure shot bottles yet, you need to do it. I get them from McMaster. I use one with acetone as a substitute for brake cleaner in almost every situation. Way, way cheaper than buying brake cleaner.

For penetrants like kero/atf, you can just use a reg spray bottle, but a sure shot is pimp. Same thing, buy chem resistant regular spray bottles from McMaster.
Sureshots are great. Best thing I did. Have one for acetone and one for thinner.

Great intel Coop and Johnny @samc2447 @GLTHFJ60 . Quick question…anyone using the Vapor Shot version? Looks to be about half the price of the Sure shot version. My initial concern would be the quality of parts on the trigger mechanism. Can’t see any other wear parts or potential failure points.

I love Kroil, here is the homemade recipe I use whenever I need Kroil. It’s actually a gun bore cleaner invented decades ago by a fellow named Ed. Hence…Ed’s Red. I mix a gallon at a time, in a metal 1 gallon container…Coleman fuel can.
I’ve found it to be as effective as Kroil for rusted nuts/bolts.

And as far as gun cleaning, I like it as well as Hoppe’s 9.

CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner
 1 part Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.
 1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1 (such as for burning in heaters)
 1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits (Varsol)
 1 part Acetone
 (Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

MIXING INSTRUCTIONS:
Mix outdoors, in good ventilation. Use a clean 1 gallon metal, chemical-resistant, heavy gage PET or PVC plastic container. NFPA approved plastic gasoline storage containers are OK. Do NOT use HDPE, which is permeable, because the acetone will slowly evaporate. Acetone in ER will attack HDPE over time, causing the container to collapse, making a heck of a mess!
Add the ATF first. Use the empty container to measure the other components, so that it is thoroughly rinsed. If you incorporate the lanolin into the mixture, melt this carefully in a double boiler, taking precautions against fire. Pour the melted lanolin into a larger container, rinsing the lanolin container with the bore cleaner mix, and stirring until it is all dissolved. I recommend diverting up to 4 ozs. per quart of the 50-50 ATF/kerosene mix to use as "ER-compatible" gun oil. This can be done without impairing the effectiveness of the remaining mix. Label and safety warnings follow:

I love Kroil, here is the homemade recipe I use whenever I need Kroil. It’s actually a gun bore cleaner invented decades ago by a fellow named Ed. Hence…Ed’s Red. I mix a gallon at a time, in a metal 1 gallon container…Coleman fuel can.
I’ve found it to be as effective as Kroil for rusted nuts/bolts.

And as far as gun cleaning, I like it as well as Hoppe’s 9.

CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner
 1 part Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.
 1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1 (such as for burning in heaters)
 1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits (Varsol)
 1 part Acetone
 (Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

MIXING INSTRUCTIONS:
Mix outdoors, in good ventilation. Use a clean 1 gallon metal, chemical-resistant, heavy gage PET or PVC plastic container. NFPA approved plastic gasoline storage containers are OK. Do NOT use HDPE, which is permeable, because the acetone will slowly evaporate. Acetone in ER will attack HDPE over time, causing the container to collapse, making a heck of a mess!
Add the ATF first. Use the empty container to measure the other components, so that it is thoroughly rinsed. If you incorporate the lanolin into the mixture, melt this carefully in a double boiler, taking precautions against fire. Pour the melted lanolin into a larger container, rinsing the lanolin container with the bore cleaner mix, and stirring until it is all dissolved. I recommend diverting up to 4 ozs. per quart of the 50-50 ATF/kerosene mix to use as "ER-compatible" gun oil. This can be done without impairing the effectiveness of the remaining mix. Label and safety warnings follow:
Mr. McVickers, this is a great write up. But I’m gonna have to request that you visit me in person and teach me this process. You lost me about half way through your thesis. :).
Would love to have y’all stay here at the casa. You know the Lonestar Roundup is just around the corner.

I will take half a gallon Jimmy of McVicker moonshine.

My Man…would love to get out there for the Round Up…BUT…timing just isn’t good, not impossible but for now at least, it won’t work.

Working feverishly right now to be certain the ole 60 is ready for SAS. Making good progress over the last several months (front locker, new radiator, new shocks & some other minor stuff) & almost there. Again, not impossible…we shall see.👍👍👍

Maureen is returning tomorrow from a little over a month back in Texas.🇨🇱🇨🇱🇨🇱

Definitely understand John. You and Maureen are welcome anytime. No need for us to use Roundup as an excuse :).
And look forward to seeing your war wagon in August fully locked.

Thanks, not impossible.👍

And fully locked…Scary.🙈😱🙈

16264CB6-5713-42B5-96E6-A64ECB7A3DF3.png

EF98278E-27A6-4A36-8014-F8B97FAA162D.png

Last edited:
Received a new output shaft from @orangefj45 for Daniel’s @LETSROLLEM T-case. BTW…I know we have many good vendors to source parts from and all are really good. From my experience the service and tech support from George and his team is hands down the best of the best IMO. Will build this case back onto the H55 & get it loaded under the truck today. Drive shafts should be back from getting resized today as well. As a diversion I installed this incredibly nice bumper made by Dave Gore @lcwizard on my brothers @kmj64 40 yesterday. Glad to help anyone local obtain this look if interested.

5E21AE75-D037-4F67-BA72-0F62EAE57B87.jpeg

DA243AF6-1BD8-4F6F-B369-0C7094E89F33.jpeg

BAC39E57-F165-4685-A618-4116D0C2F2E9.jpeg

My Man…would love to get out there for the Round Up…BUT…timing just isn’t good, not impossible but for now at least, it won’t work.

Working feverishly right now to be certain the ole 60 is ready for SAS. Making good progress over the last several months (front locker, new radiator, new shocks & some other minor stuff) & almost there. Again, not impossible…we shall see.👍👍👍

Maureen is returning tomorrow from a little over a month back in Texas.🇨🇱🇨🇱🇨🇱
You sir, are my roadmap for a great human life on this earth.

Looking forward to seeing you at SAS7

Carry on

Thank you Sir…Maureen however, is not only my pillar but my glue. She never runs out of glue.🎯💅🎯

Thank you Sir…Maureen however, is not only my pillar but my glue. She never runs out of glue.🎯💅🎯
Behind every good man, is a better woman.

I have that too

Had Ben @BigHighBlue in for the weekend so he could do the timing belt on his sweet Gen 3 runner. Was fun looking over his shoulder as it brought back memories of the few I did years ago. Also, spent the latter part of the day wrapping up an error that @iansplatinum Ian found when he stopped by the shop today. First time meeting in person and what a sharp young dude. I’ve done several t-cases and always attach the bolt and spacer washer back to the hi/lo selector when I tear down a case. For some reason I did not do it this time and just threw everything loose into the coffee jugs and into the parts washer. So earlier this morning the bench is about empty and I’m wondering what this washer/spacer is doing sitting there. Ian had a similar error on his truck so that was one of the first things he checked out when he entered the barn. Then it was the dreaded “what do I do to avoid dropping the lever into the case”. Scratching my head I call one of my “go to” friends @POTATO LAUNCHER and Casey and I brainstorm. He had a great idea to get welding wire to stick to the top of the rod. Well…he’s one of the few I know that can make the mig dance the way he wants. Needless to say I could not make it happen and then it hit me…cut a piece of hanger and tack it. Was able to hold the lever up and get the washer installed. Filed off the excess and all is good. Ian had a great suggestion as well so I appreciate all the cruiser wisdom.

9C76682E-111B-4754-B325-32B4D1B8BAE3.jpeg

697F99CF-81CE-4248-9E2F-4A2760A425A3.jpeg

43F5DB9A-49F2-493B-9493-53F753680611.jpeg

Great meeting you as well Jimmy! Thanks for the hospitality and beer. Great solution, glad it worked.

After having to crawl under my 60 a few dozen times on muddy trails in colorado to man handle the t-case lever to shift it from low to high, it's the first thing I look for now.

Last edited:
Enjoyed the Lonestar Roundup. From there had the pleasure of having Zach @Zjohnsonua and Casey @POTATO LAUNCHER at my my place. Zach is on now on his way to Alabama and I have Casey here at the Casa all week. More to come.

7741A553-5078-44D0-915E-E7D463917211.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom