What is the best motor oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I got a 1994 Land Cruiser with 190,000 miles. Thinking of doing a full service. What would you recommend that I use for the following components. (In CA).

Engine: 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
Transmission: AMSOIL Synthetic Transmission Fluid
Differential:

Am I missing any other part that needs an oil change?
AMSOIL or Mobil oil?
Will 10W -30 work for my engine with 190,000 miles?

Thanks,
Harsha.

There are probably a hundred threads on Mud about Motor Oil. Read the FAQs first and then search.

I use Mobile 1 10W-40 High Milage (Synthetic) on my 80 and I have 250K on it.

If you are doing a full service, you'll need to change the gear oil in your diffs and transfer case. I use Mobile 1 75-90.

You'll also need to change your transmission fluid and you should probably consider your brake fluid, steering fluid and coolant if you don't know what the previous owner did regarding vehicle maintenance.

Again...read the frequently asked questions. It will tell you everything you need to know to maintain your vehicle.

Shell Helix Ultra :)

At $60 bucks a quart, it must be good, right? ;p

I hear the high end unobtainium additives include dinosaur sperm and unicorn urine :hmm:

Honestly, I cringe every time someone posts this question because they'll never get a straight answer :doh:

Everyone has their own opinion on oils, but the mere fact is our Cruisers will run just fine with anything you find on the shelf :cheers:

My only real suggestion is to choose one brand and stick with it for the life of your engine :cool:

For me, I use Toyo branded 10w-30 conventional (bottled by Exxon/Mobil) and have been using it since day one, mainly cause I get it dirt cheap from my local dealer :)

fzj80oilstock.JPG

And although I do frequent changes, the folks at BlackStone actually suggest I push my intervals to 12,000 miles :eek:

With that in mind, I just don't see the need for Sythetic :meh:

What is the best motor oil?

The stuff that is in your motor, not having it would be bad!:hillbilly:

If you prefer to have your oil selection recommended by engineers, use the for everyone else but USA chart.

AU viscosity chart
1FZFE motor
20w50 oil- -7C deg to 38C plus ; 19F to 100F plus
15w40 oil -10C deg to 38C plus; 14F to 100F plus
10w30 oil -18C to 38C deg; 0F to 100F
5w30 oil -30C to 8C deg; -22F to 46F

oh crap here we go........
:flipoff2:

:D

great question. I dont think its been asked a million times on here yet.
but if you dont want to search, Rotella 5w-40 FTMFW

Let your motor make up its mind what oil to use.
Mobil One did not work in my motor. It drank it real fast at high rpms, 1 qt per tank of gas. Tried many brands till I started using Rotella T 5w40 many a years ago. I believe the Rotella T formula changed several years ago to meet new diesel emissions requirements. I noticed that it didn't last as long as the older formula before it started to be consumed in my motor. I still use it in winter but use Liqui Moly MoS2 Antifriction Motoroil 10 W-40 with Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver oil additive in the summer. I have startup smoke and this combo results in the least blue cloud at startup. Its barely a blue puff if any till the oil starts to get old.

So there is no best oil, its just the best oil works with your motor.

Check out Bobistheoilguy.com for an education on oil.

great question. I dont think its been asked a million times on here yet.
but if you dont want to search, Rotella 5w-40 FTMFW

We're getting closer to the millionth!!!! I'm so excited:D

tella 5w40 x2 FTMFW

Rottella 5w 40 here.

Switched from M1 to AMSoil last night. See if it makes any difference. AMS says I should be able to go 25K miles with the filter and oil. With M1 I was losing like a qrt every 12K miles...changing oil every 15K miles.

Rotella 4w40 synthetic with WIX (NAPA Gold) filter here. Mobil 1 since truck was new, until they invented this stuff. 240k and not even a puff of smoke on startup. But I'll admit its overkill and Blackstone also recommended I extend my changes waaaay out. I immediately went to a dark corner and rocked for a while, then continued with my 7k changes....

DougM

240k and not even a puff of smoke on startup.

DougM

240k, thats about the miles I started using Rotella T 5w40 in 2003 220k). I started getting startup smoke in 2004 when the weather was warm then went away in cold weather. Its slowly worked its way to smoking in all weather temps.

I haven't noticed how much startup smoke there is with the Rotella T as I park in a garage at night and cant see the exhaust at startup. I will have to check at work after it sits all day.

The Rotella T somehow rejuvenated or swelled the seals the motor where I had oil leaks on the oil pan and a front cover. Wounder if it also swelled the valve guides too? Thus the swelling would be countered with wear from the valve movement and then later they shrunk down??? Not sure if the oil could affect the material of the valve guide but it did affect the material of the oil pan and other gaskets to the point that they stopped leaking.

We're getting closer to the millionth!!!! I'm so excited:D

tella 5w40 x2 FTMFW

me too. what happoens after the 1 millionth?

:cheers: zombies Yay!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom