What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (68 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This being the season to take stock of things to be thankful for (all year would be better!) I realize that I certainly do not deserve most of what I’m blessed with and I have a pecking order of thankfulness priorities.... while certainly not in the top 5, I list involvement in this forum as belonging on said list!
I’ve not done a ton of selling/buying parts here but what I have has been a downright “thumbs up”.... a few things I’ve needed aren’t quite ‘unicorn’ status but have been difficult to find nonetheless and I am thankful for this forum and members willing to part with their stash for decent prices (hate to think I’d have to depend on eBay for some of the things I’ve purchased)
Also have to note that the willingness of knowledgeable members here to share cruiser info/insight is priceless...

Lately I’ve completed a quest to take my truck’s carb and and air cleaner from picture #1 (day after bringing it home)...
...all the way to picture #5 (15 minutes ago :D)
5567CB06-8110-4D46-9696-1E3E5E2AB5CC.jpeg

DC785413-6182-4B39-B7BB-7DCEA8D9CBD0.jpeg

E6B477C0-4B4C-47A4-A341-FE948AD4F4B8.jpeg

119F5E41-B6EF-4294-B154-0DA323C65DDF.jpeg

AF2CE847-4C9C-45FC-ABB9-72F5344E5360.jpeg

*Shout out to @GA Architect for the air cleaner assembly and just recently @wileycoyote for the intake hose/inlet!

Merry Christmas Mud Brothers all :cheers:

Last edited:
Last week I managed to clear some space in my basement junk storage room, which gives me a safe place to break down my carb finally.
IMG_2818.jpg

Everything went really well (except for the acc pump check ball that doesn't want to come of it hole), until it came time to remove the vacuum bolt to separate the top half from the bottom. I tried with all my meager strength the loosen it with a screw driver but it was clear I was just going to mess up the slot. So, for the millionth time, I had to make an SST which I did by sacrificing a 5/16" socket (which fits perfectly down the bolt hole). I cut a slot in the socket and cut the tip off a screwdriver and welded it into the slot. Then I could use a quick burst from my air wrench to shock it loose.
IMG_2828.jpg

Worked perfectly! The bolt came put undamaged.

When I had the wood shop business I made a custom counter top for a tasting room in a customers basement. I can't imagine what wasn't shown. I believe I could work on car parts there all day long!

Creveling 3.JPG

When I had the wood shop business I made a custom counter top for a tasting room in a customers basement. I can't imagine what wasn't shown. I believe I could work on car parts there all day long!

View attachment 1589268

Did you empty all those spaces, while installing that gorgeous counter top?!?

On the slow road here waiting for body and paint work in the Spring; but it's the little things that add up, too.

IMG_5884.JPG

IMG_5886.JPG

Only hitch in the above picture, the vacuum transfer switch casing parts got hit hard by one of the steps at the plating shop, even though they knew it was aluminum (at least it wasn't ferrous)- the result was that it ate away the threads so had to go up a size on the screws. Got it put together, except for figuring out how to attach the actuator cable in the now-too-big hole. Some kind of thin sleeve? Suggestions welcome.

Also think the heater blower turned out pretty slick. The motor's carbon brushes were pretty far gone, luckily easy thing to find at Ace.

IMG_0454.JPG
IMG_0454A.JPG

Sadly, This:

IMG_6812.JPG

The road crews have started to spray the liquid deicer and its finally time to button things up for the winter.

On the upside, @RockAuto found the 40 a worthy candidate for their monthly newsletter. Flamir sent me the archived link so if anyone cares to look. . .

RockAuto December Newsletter | Early Edition

This being the season to take stock of things to be thankful for (all year would be better!) I realize that I certainly do not deserve most of what I’m blessed with and I have a pecking order of thankfulness priorities.... while certainly not in the top 5, I list involvement in this forum as belonging on said list!
I’ve not done a ton of selling/buying parts here but what I have has been a downright “thumbs up”.... a few things I’ve needed aren’t quite ‘unicorn’ status but have been difficult to find nonetheless and I am thankful for this forum and members willing to part with their stash for decent prices (hate to think I’d have to depend on eBay for some of the things I’ve purchased)
Also have to note that the willingness of knowledgeable members here to share cruiser info/insight is priceless...

Lately I’ve completed a quest to take my truck’s carb and and air cleaner from picture #1 (day after bringing it home)...
...all the way to picture #5 (15 minutes ago :D)
View attachment 1589254
View attachment 1589253
View attachment 1589186
View attachment 1589257
View attachment 1589183

*Shout out to @GA Architect for the air cleaner assembly and just recently @wileycoyote for the intake hose/inlet!

Merry Christmas Mud Brothers all :cheers:

....And because no good deed should go unrecognized:

6A59E074-85DA-4B82-A5F8-D37941D9DBEF.jpeg

@wileycoyote included the koozie with the hose/inlet so I thought it should be put to good use! :beer:

*Of course he may have been using it while packing and it fell in by mistake :D

Sadly, This:

View attachment 1589356

The road crews have started to spray the liquid deicer and its finally time to button things up for the winter.

On the upside, @RockAuto found the 40 a worthy candidate for their monthly newsletter. Flamir sent me the archived link so if anyone cares to look. . .

Funny they were goin to feature my 42 last december, i did the write up etc. then they asked what products i used from rockauto and i hadnt bought any yet for the 42 lol. Needless to say they said another time hahaha!

And dont be sad its put away! Mine is sitting in the garage also. I will only take it out in -20c or colder that way i know there is no fresh salty slush on the roads haha. Driven it once since sept prob wont again till jan sometime. Now i can tinker on it. Hated to tinker in the summer in case it was down for a day or more and i wasnt able to drive it.

Spray painted the bumpers to clean up the dune beige over spray. Primed the inside of the quarter patch panels with Masterseries Coatings Silver . This stuff looks like it will do a great job of protecting the 40. Once they are dry I will spray with chassis black paint.
20171210_140515.jpg
20171210_140550.jpg
20171210_140532.jpg

Parked it for the winter.
First snow over the weekend, got caught with my pants down as they were pretreating the roads on friday.

20171210_131101.jpg

20171208_113903.jpg

Prepped it for daily driver duty this week. Sold my regular driver and my wife wanted her car back so the rusty trusty mobile is my ride this week.

Should be a nice week for it though with some temps in the 60s.

Sadly, This:

View attachment 1589356

It's weird out west this year. It has been so warm here, I've only had like 2 weeks worth of days this winter I couldn't drive my cruiser. Very strange. I would say I had far more days during the summer I couldn't drive it due to oppressive heat vs bad winter days with deicer on the road.

View attachment 1589268

Sadly, I was only able to ship the counter instead of delivering it directly. I would have been more than happy to deliver to CT from NC to sample some of the stored bottles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom