What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (40 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my re-soldered heater cores back. Unfortunately there is only one radiator shop left around me that is still in business. The owner, Dick Wilson, is about 85 years old and still doing it (I think at this point just to have something to do). He’s a great guy - very old school, and charged me $85 to repair both cores, which I felt was pretty fair. He was able to seal up my leaking rear core (with a LOT of solder) and patch a couple of weeping places on the front core.

With the front core back, I added some new 1/4” neoprene foam to all the doors and the core with 3M adhesive. Then, screwed it all back together.

I’m pretty happy with the results.

C3B752F2-442A-421A-ACCF-B6B0BB5482FD.jpeg
E1FFED5B-5D0D-45BB-91D4-7978C37E2851.jpeg

I had to flex the sheet metal of the heater box quite a bit to get the core to fit with the new foam, which cracked the paint at a couple spots so there will be a bit of touch up, but otherwise I think it came out good!

Last edited:
And to top it off, took apart the rear heater fan, lubed it, checked the brushes (they looked good) and reassembled.

885147CE-F53A-4D39-A009-5F0A891BB955.jpeg

About ready to go back in! It feels good to be finally reassembling some pieces instead of tearing them apart.

Last edited:
Finally got a friend to come by so i could put the top back on!!! It is Dec and there is 8" of new snow on the ground Hahahaha. (Snow pics coming soon) Haha kinda sucks having no gearhead buddies around.

Last edited:
Progress while the new passenger door window is made.

Found out all the hardware in the rear hatch was junk, cobbled together by a PO which was no where near to what it should have been. While I wait to get everything I installed the weatherstrip around the hatch and installed the Toyota emblem I purchased from another MUD member several months ago. I think it looks good.

DSCN0492.JPG

Progress while the new passenger door window is made.

Found out all the hardware in the rear hatch was junk, cobbled together by a PO which was no where near to what it should have been. While I wait to get everything I installed the weatherstrip around the hatch and installed the Toyota emblem I purchased from another MUD member several months ago. I think it looks good.

View attachment 1586169
Send me a list / diagram of what you need. It may be in storage in Cary. I am almost positive the strikers you need are there. I will just need to dig through the boxes.

Tie rod ends after knuckle rebuild.

View attachment 1586262
After my powder coated wheels get finished, will put on new shoes and I’ll be done for a bit.

hOOter

Hoot, you had better paint those new tie rod ends quickly.....just say'in. Looking good, brother.

Last edited:
Send me a list / diagram of what you need. It may be in storage in Cary. I am almost positive the strikers you need are there. I will just need to dig through the boxes.

Here is the SOR diagram. I need parts 27, 35, 46, 45, 25, 36, 33, 34, and 28. The back plate would be useful as well, it was missing and the hot rod shop made a replacement without the handle hole.

Rear Hatch Exploded View.gif

That is one shiny 40 Nolan, when you start driving it you must use feet protectors ro keep it from getting dirty.:hmm:

I’m not sure since the seller doesn’t list any part numbers, but this may be it.

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER HEATER BLOWER GRILL USED landcruiser fj | eBay

Michael, your absolutely right. Went a little overboard, sad but it won't be used as intended. It'll probably be a long time before it ever sees another mud hole, or rainy day. We never intended to go this far, the plan was to get it running and fix all the lights. Before you know it's a year and half later and it's rebuilt from the ground up. Mission Creep at it's worst! But it was a deceased family members unfinished farther and son project.

Thanks @Wes , already got one coming.

Michael, your absolutely right. Went a little overboard, sad but it won't be used as intended. It'll probably be a long time before it ever sees another mud hole, or rainy day. We never intended to go this far, the plan was to get it running and fix all the lights. Before you know it's a year and half later and it's rebuilt from the ground up. Mission Creep at it's worst! But it was a deceased family members unfinished farther and son project.

Thanks @Wes , already got one coming.
You make them proud, she looks great.
After the first scratch it will be easier to get her dirty.

And to top it off, took apart the rear heater fan, lubed it, checked the brushes (they looked good) and reassembled.

View attachment 1585534

About ready to go back in! It feels good to be finally reassembling some pieces instead of tearing them apart.

Looking good man, you've been putting some work into that thang.

Looking good man, you've been putting some work into that thang.

Thanks! It's A bunch of little "while I'm in there" stuff. Big stuff is coming...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom