What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not done yet, but better. Re measured mounting points (about 10 times) 31 3/8" from the center of bolt hole in mount on top of frame to center of bolt hole in bumper where sill bolts up. That lands me damn near in the center of that tack 5" or so from this side. I'm within 1/8" either way front to rear, side to side. Got plenty room for the mount to clear the back edge of the mid and rear bed junction. This is an old pic but it shows what I'm talking about.

Looking real goooood but what's all this 32 3/8" & 5" & 1/8" Businesso_Oo_O Will you guys ever get with the times & understand METRIC??
Bwahahahaha doing a great job even if your hampered by using Imperial measurements:)

@pngunme
Belated condolences for your loss. It's a sad fact of life... I still miss the dog I lost 10 years ago.
I came across this dog cloning service. Not sure if it's for real or just a scam, but I wish I can have the exact same dog again. What do you think, @TractorDoc ? (He's a Vet)

Last edited:
@pngunme
Belated condolences for your loss. It's a sad fact of life... I still miss the dog I lost 10 years ago.
I came across this dog cloning service. Not sure if it's for real or just a scam, but I wish I can have the exact same dog again. What do you think, @TractorDoc ? (He's a Vet)

Thanks!!

I've had and lost a number of "best friends" over the decades.

They've all been Golden Retrievers and all different in many ways.

Gunner was the one who was always content to simply lay his head on my shoulder or chest and hang on every profound word I uttered.

I went through a very dark period, after I was diagnosed with cancer, in 2005. I didn't sleep much, partially because of the meds and partly because I was burned out, after about 40 years of software development.

Every morning, at 3am, Gunner would come to my side of the bed and lay his head on my chest to let me know he was ready.

We'd head out and walk about 1.25 miles, to the track at an elenentary school. We'd run 3-6 miles, depending on the day and the weather, then sit in the bleachers and talk. Gunner was a great listener!

We'd walk back home and I'd get ready for the day and make my 56 mile commute to work... or log in from home, depending on the day.

I used to write poetry about Gunner... I recall titling one poem, "A White Knight on a Dark Night"... he made life bearable again.

Sorry for the dark digression, but Gunner was special!!

Chester is too... in a somewhat different way... as enticing as it is, I wouldn't want a clone. I'd rather keep those memories of Gunner and make new memories with Chester.

Thanks again!!

sorry for the loss @pngunme

feel your pain. at least memories dont die.

I added a fuel pressure gauge and some toggle switch labels

View attachment 1419366

The bad news... Gunner is gone... I had him euthanized this afternoon.

He's been going downhill quickly... He still looked good three days ago... But, was rapidly growing wider and wider.

View attachment 1419365

This morning, he seemed the same... He ate well and was somewhat active. Then, he started fading, so I fed him an orange Dreamsicle

And Chester and I took him for his last drive out to the DNWR... When we stopped to stretch our legs, Gunner got out and laid right down. I got him back onboard and drove home, swapped him to the Tundra and left Chester at home.

Gunner and I went right to the vet and she agreed that his organs were shutting down... This is my last picture of my old best friend.

View attachment 1419364

Chester is very depressed... He seems to understand... Dianna is at her sister's house, on the other side of Vegas... She's upset as well... We'll get over it... But, not today.

Sorry about your loss. Is amazing how good of a buddy a animal can be.

Sorry about your loss. Is amazing how good of a buddy a animal can be.
I told my wife this morning how special dogs are. All they want is your approval. Their lives are always too short.

All I did this week to the Fj40 was drive it and wave back to folks.

Thanks guys!!

@pngunme

I feel your pain... it is a tough thing to do

On another note this white stuff fell from the sky and my wife forced me to make pi day treats ... and... added more gas to the cruiser

The white stuff was up to the door practically

IMG_2077.JPG
IMG_2078.JPG
IMG_2080.JPG

I love snow, and I love dogs, lost my Roscoe last year he was 16 y/o 1/2 blue healer 1/2 Australian shepard. His mother Minnie was my dog so he was my hound even before birth..Hell of a dog. But...moving on... I have a 2.5" Pro Comp lift kit to be delivered tomorrow. I have been running on dual front shock setup and old Man-A Fre coil overload rear shocks with lifetime warranty since appoximately '85. and it has served me well. I have been over some rough stuff over the years with my old Cruiser with no failures. I'm still not sure I'm doing the right thing. It's kinda stiff I just jumped up and down on front and back today no major bounce just decent solid suspension. The dam MAF's still work no leakage but as always not much articulation as is with the front with the dual shock setup. But as mentioned previously if you follow my posts, my BFG 9.50x33r15's MT's are cracked and aging out and will soon be replaced by the 10.50 version...So the lift is apparently a must to get the clearance needed . Well to make a long tail short I sprayed copious amounts of Advance Auto cheapass engine degreaser all over involved suspension parts in order to act as penetrant in prep for the suspension change.

So unlike my Good Ole Sorely Missed dog Roscoe, who is occupying a permanent spot in my back yard. My 40 is not going to be the same as it once was, but is slowly being reborn...It has ongoing rehab and a lot of other grudginglyl added stuff that I reluctantly have to do as time goes by. Still has all the old bones and flesh...but some stuff just has to be done.

Looking real goooood but what's all this 32 3/8" & 5" & 1/8" Businesso_Oo_O Will you guys ever get with the times & understand METRIC??
Bwahahahaha doing a great job even if your hampered by using Imperial measurements:)

Thanks man, I think I'll stick with our good old American way of measuring @Strategic1 . You ever work on any of the old British bikes? Worked on an old Norton Commando or Thumper...hell I can't remember, anyway like to have never found the right bolts for that thing.

Back on track, rolled the edges of the quarters over the sill then put a little stitch on them. Reformed the curves on either side. DSCN0719.JPG
DSCN0718.JPG

Put the tub back on the chassis. Wanted to make sure it lined up and it did! Marked where the last support channel needed to be welded. Removed 4 broken off 1/4" bolts the PO had used to bolt the top down with, chased all the bolt holes around the top of the tub.
DSCN0724.JPG
Welded up all the bolt holes for the roll bar and rear seats then re drilled them. Removed the seam sealer at the top edge of the wheel wells (1/8" plate), where they meet the quarters. Only thing holding them to the quarters was aluminum angle and seam sealer. No weld, no screws nothing but sealer. I couldn't believe it.
DSCN0732.JPG DSCN0729.JPG
Tried to get a hold of Real Steal today for the wheel well tops, maybe I'll get somebody tom.

Last edited:
@gator25 you are rolling along at one helluva pace! Must be nice to have that warm place to work, I haven't touched mine in a couple weeks now. It has been cold here! If you keep up that pace you can drive your 40 up here and help put mine back together.

Keep up the good work, it is looking awesome.

Thanks man, I think I'll stick with our good old American way of measuring @Strategic1 . You ever work on any of the old British bikes? Worked on an old Norton Commando or Thumper...hell I can't remember, anyway like to have never found the right bolts for that thing.

Back on track, rolled the edges of the quarters over the sill then put a little stitch on them. Reformed the curves on either side.View attachment 1422323
View attachment 1422324

Put the tub back on the chassis. Wanted to make sure it lined up and it did! Marked where the last support channel needed to be welded. Removed 4 broken off 1/4" bolts the PO had used to bolt the top down with, chased all the bolt holes around the top of the tub.View attachment 1422325 Welded up all the bolt holes for the roll bar and rear seats then re drilled them. Removed the seam sealer at the top edge of the wheel wells (1/8" plate), where they meet the quarters. Only thing holding them to the quarters was aluminum angle and seam sealer. No weld, no screws nothing but sealer. I couldn't believe it.
View attachment 1422327 View attachment 1422328
Tried to get a hold of Real Steal today for the wheel well tops, maybe I'll get somebody tom.
Looks like you are in the zone.
All decisions made in the past not to tackle certain area's are reversed don't they?

You ever work on any of the old British bikes? Worked on an old Norton Commando or Thumper...hell I can't remember, anyway like to have never found the right bolts for that thing.

"Whitworth" threads. I still have a set of Whitworth open-end wrenches somewhere. :zilla:

Looks good powderjay! Cruisercorps has Freeborn red in a rattle can. Good luck!

@gator25 you are rolling along at one helluva pace! Must be nice to have that warm place to work, I haven't touched mine in a couple weeks now. It has been cold here! If you keep up that pace you can drive your 40 up here and help put mine back together.

Keep up the good work, it is looking awesome.

Looks like you are in the zone.
All decisions made in the past not to tackle certain area's are reversed don't they?

"Whitworth" threads. I still have a set of Whitworth open-end wrenches somewhere. :zilla:

@rkymtnflyfisher I'd help you in a min. man, your a good guy. I can't take all the credit, my uncle, cousin, and my .50cal gunner from OIF1 helped me flip it over and sit it on the chassis. My uncle stayed and helped till dark yesterday, damn nice to have help. We have been real lucky with the weather so far. Thank you for the kind words.

@waiting for time yes they do, didn't know what I was going to do with the wheel wells. They have been in the back of my mind the whole time. There's a helluva gap between the tops and the quarters, I knew it was bad but not how bad till I uncovered it. I tried to do all the welding I could while it was upside down before flipping it and putting the roll bar and seats in to mark the holes. I didn't want it to stall my momentum, got new tops coming from real steel and I'll put them over the plate and tie it in. When I flip it again I'll drill thru the skins mount the supports and add the captured nuts.

@1911 I couldn't remember for the life of me what they were called, I went back thru some old pics. and it was the old Norton. Friend of mine put it in a racked hard tail frame, along with 8" or 10" over springer. Damn nice scoot.

Thanks guys, for the words of encouragement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom