What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (57 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm more partial to the white stuff in the last picture!

When it's 90 degrees in March like it's been in Phoenix I'll take the white stuff in the second picture. Now if I had to work in it that would be a different matter. Of course I'm probably one of a very few in the Phoenix area that have a snowplow to mount on a FJ40. I'll be ready for the next ice age.:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I love the snow, it just makes life a b*tch to work on a 40 when it is in the low 30s all the time. Not so much the working in the cold but the other things that slow you down, can't paint in the cold.

But it is easier to keep the beer cold.:beer:

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I love the snow, it just makes life a b*tch to work on a 40 when it is in the low 30s all the time. Not so much the working in the cold but the other things that slow you down, can't paint in the cold.

But it is easer to keep the beer cold.:beer:

Pretty lucky our second home is at 7,000' in high desert. Don't understand high desert as we have few small cactus but a bunch of Ponderosa pine trees. My internal thermostat has changed to where low fifties is Tee shirt weather. Keep a thermometer in the garage and never gets to freezing inside. We do get subzero weather. Even in the summer when it's in the mid eighties outside cooling off at night only gets to the mid seventies inside. In the Phoenix when it's 110 degrees lucky to keep it in the low eighties inside with a cooler running and then want to be directly if front of the cooler. I'll take the cold over the heat any day. Plan is to add a wood stove to the garage up north now that will be spending more time there. Five dollars a cord to cut firewood in the forest it' cheaper to heat then cool with A/C in the desert which is also in the works.

I saw an entry in a thread about a coolant recovery tank. This is something I have been putting off for a while, why I don't know. So I ordered one another member mentioned, @Racer65 I believe, so I ordered it on Monday and it arrived yesterday. I went to a local welding shop I frequent and had him make a custom bracket that could be removed if needed. It attached with the shroud bolts to the radiator support and is out of the way. Since the weather is cooperating today, above 50, I decided to get this done and over with. Thanks to MUD members for helping me to get things done I need to do. And, I removed the rear heater, it was leaking badly.

DSCN0273.JPG

Round 1 of the Rust-Ole um topside paint.2nd coat should be better.

1489782550075558243160.jpg

Decided to run rear tank only with the new Downey tank.

Glued the studs for the Holley Hydramat.
Setting-the-stud.jpg

Studs in.
Bare-stud.jpg

Inserting the Hydramat.
Inserting-Hydramat.jpg

Hydramat installed.
Hydramat-on-stud.jpg

Tank is ready to install tomorrow.
Tank-ready-to-install.jpg

@Living in the Past highway 69 has been getting salted the past two years

87 south of Winslow to Clint's Well has been salted as long as property in the area, almost twenty years. The it was from Payson to Clint's Well. Probably fifteen years. Last was 260 out of Camp Verde up to the junction with 87. That was well over 10 years. Interstate 40 was the late eighties. All maintained by ADOT. Subdivisions in the area and forest highway 3 are maintained by Coconino County that does not us salt. Only thing that has helped is with budget cuts they have cut back on the amount they use. About eight years ago we headed up north of a supposed big storm. 260 out of Camp Verde was white from the salt sprayed on the road just past Fossel Creek Road. Have some pictures of my 100 series that looks like a vehicle in the rust belt with all the white salt on it. Crawled underneath and sprayed ever nook and cranny, then off to Costco car wash for a final rinse. It's Arizona's dirty little secret, any state road maintained by ADOT that gets snow is salted.

I finally had a few minutes to briefly look at the wiring harness @Coolerman made for my FJ45. As I opened the box, it was as if the skies parted and heavenly trumpets rang out in my shop. What an absolute thing of beauty! I was most nervous about working on the wiring for this frame off, not anymore. Every wire is individually labeled with nice, easy to read stickers. Everything is so neat and new... Here is a before and after picture. Thanks @Coolerman!
20161130_135156.jpg
20170318_085420.jpg

Last edited:
I finally had a few minutes to briefly look at the wiring harness @Coolerman made for my FJ45. As I opened the box, it was if the skies parted and heavenly trumpets rang out it my shop. What an absolute thing of beauty! I was most nervous about working on the wiring for this frame off, not anymore. Every wire is individually labeled with nice, easy to read stickers. Everything is so neat and new... Here is a before and after picture. Thanks @Coolerman!View attachment 1423108 View attachment 1423110

I wish coolerman do wiring for 1984.

Looks great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom