What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (74 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I stole the battery from my son's '69 project; my optima red top is dead. I used the truck to get 6 bales of crappy grass hay until I can get better stuff in a week and then hosed off the chunky mud from playing in an adjacent corn field (harvested) so I can swap out my bent front springs and shocks. I mangled them while getting unstuck during a wood cutting/hauling incident this winter.

I also need to find some shallower bucket seats for it. I have fj60 buckets on factory 40 bucket seat brackets, and I can hit my head on the 4x4labs cage. Any suggestions?

cut your head off :doh:

I always thought they mount to the bumper, no :confused:

I believe the man-e-fre one mounts that way.
The con-fer one uses two of the lower bib/fender-bolts and requires drilling two new holes in the top of the bib above the bezel and below the hood in the open area in the forward center of the hood. The holes end up being opposite the bracket where the top captive nuts for the expanded metal radiator cover are located. I can post up pixs if you're curious.
I used a nylon spacer between the top brush guard brackets and the bib. Wingnuts on the inside for easier install/ removal.
The PO of the brush guard also extended the mounts a few inches so the brush guard floats forward of the bezel and is less of a damage multiplier.

hmm. I'll have to try this. I might have some quick fists that would work, but now i'm thinking that they're too small b/c they're for tool handles and whatnot. Simple way to attach/detach the basket while keeping some rubber isolation.
Do you run a bike lock for theft protection at all, since it is so easy and quick to detach?
To prevent it sliding rearward, I'm also going to attach it to the b-pillar hoop. This should locate the basket in a fixed position.

The "original" model didn't work, even though they're supposed to be spec'd for 2". These are the go-between model

No lock. I don't leave it anywhere for long and this part is pretty specific to a cruiser. If anyone wants to get it from my back yard they have to get past a couple of terrifying dobermans. Bring salami.

BTW, if you didn't read my thread, the cargo net is cut down from a pickup-sized one from Harbor Freight that was on sale for $10.

I pulled the body off my FJ and welded up my frame. Now I will finish the cage and frame supports.

IMG_3482_zps372a6f44.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_3475_zps54e84a0a.jpg
[/IMG]

Frame

RockTactics,

Looks like some really nice welding skills. I do have a question for you though. Do you have plans to stiffen up the frame on the forward and aft ends where the frame consists of a tubular cross section? I am wondering if you are not going to have some bending stress issues where the frame ties into the box section. Just a consideration.

-Chris

RockTactics,

Looks like some really nice welding skills. I do have a question for you though. Do you have plans to stiffen up the frame on the forward and aft ends where the frame consists of a tubular cross section? I am wondering if you are not going to have some bending stress issues where the frame ties into the box section. Just a consideration.

-Chris

Yes Sir! This will basically be a tube buggy but with a full body, leaf sprung, and street legal when I am done. Once I set the body back on I will final weld the cage section to the frame. Then I will run the bars out through the firewall that support the front section. This is just my weeks progress.

Thanks for the compliment! :beer:

Well for one weeks' progress, I am thoroughly impressed. Please keep the pictures coming.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Getting the exhaust bung welded in today for the wideband air fuel ratio sensor install tomorrow.

While it was on the lift, I took a picture of the Ironman springs I installed 18 months ago at full drop.

image-3866643287.jpg
image-3866643287.jpg

Mounted my sand dune whip in preparation for local club run to the Coral pink sand dunes.
IMG_5731.jpg

My baby for 35+ years!!!

red.jpg Opened the garage door-- just stared and wondered how lucky i have been to have owned this vehicle for so long they is no way to describe it :)
red.jpg

The 78 series had a service, finished building drawers in the 76 series, and now trying to remove the flares off the FJ45 in the shed :)

Got a '76 delivered on Thursday, hadn't run in years... buddy and I got it running that afternoon, got it to move on its own power Friday. Got great help from Fast Eddy tonight (er... last night) and will continue in the morning.

Had a little time this week to take care of some rust spots. Got the fenders and rocker panels cut and patched. Wish I had a gas shielded welder, but with some time, and patience, I got it done with the flux core stuff...
0404030824a.jpg
0404030827.jpg
0406031309a.jpg

Wow, that Piggy is sweet lookin'. Jealous.

Used my 40 and my wife's pickup to drag my 55's and my buddies 4 runner down out of the way until I have money to get them running again. :( The 4 Runner was interesting as we pulled the rear axle off of it a few months ago.

Wow, that Piggy is sweet lookin'. Jealous.

Used my 40 and my wife's pickup to drag my 55's and my buddies 4 runner down out of the way until I have money to get them running again. :( The 4 Runner was interesting as we pulled the rear axle off of it a few months ago.

Thank. It's my baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom