What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (23 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks. It's not perfect - but better than it was and good enough for who it's for. In the fall of 2021 I decided to patch a few holes in my floor.

It escalated quite a bit from there. Lots of new OEM parts, all new weatherstrips and a few resto-mod upgrades.

Last edited:
Dismounted my worn out BFG Mud Terrain Km2 and dropped off my stock wheels at the powder coat shop. Started on the brake job. New tires are Kenda Klever 9.5x33-15. Tires By Design is holding them for me.

CE690893-58D4-44DE-8B5D-3D34E73175BA.jpeg

361A6BFC-9757-467C-8656-B8748A5D6985.jpeg

D79B2E4E-9EB4-452C-B77B-F973B66ED67F.jpeg

Thanks. It's not perfect - but better than it was and good enough for who it's for. In the fall of 2021 I decided to patch a few holes in my floor.

It escalated quite a bit from there. Lots of new OEM parts, all new weatherstrips and a few resto-mod upgrades.

Do have a build thread? I bought a 82 tub, frame and gas tank years ago. Bought it to trim pieces off the tub for my 79. Years later thinking of building versus cutting it up. Like you want it to look nice but not too nice to use. what body parts did you patch and which parts did you replaced?

My 5/79 is at the top of the windshield. The one in my hood is a blank “dummy”, original hood. The tubing in the windshield frame has a habit of clogging, I ran a new hose all the way to the nozzle. You have the option of running to the hood if you decide you like that location better.
Thx. Mine is Jan 79 so I will go with mounting it at the top of the windshield.

been working on a little reassembly this week. I've owned this one for 20 years and it's always had a bit of a swiss cheese floor. Looking forward to driving it without water or mud splashing up the back of my seat.

View attachment 3337664View attachment 3337665

I'd like to finish installing everything but all the parts look great in my office (painting parts in my office basement).
View attachment 3337667
She looks great. I'm insuring and tagging my '79 next month to put it on the road with just a bikini top for the summer. Come winter she will come back into monster garage for me to do the body work and repairs/paint on the hardtop.

That’s a really old Land Cruiser

I’m guessing mid-63 to early ‘65, I’d bet ‘64. Body that is, who knows about the rest.

Spotted this guy and his family going through BC and the Yukon a few days ago headed towards Anchorage. The 40 looked right at home cruising the Alaska highway.
View attachment 3338081
Thats a cool one! Glad I am not the only one who has put a passenger side mirror on one of the older fj40s. I dont think they came with those from factory. Just a drivers side one.

I was trying to find the hospital that my grandmother was in on Saturday down in The Woodlands, but I got sort of lost, there are like 5 hospitals down there and I was just taking a tour of all of them apparently. Grandma is fine and I eventually found her, but the detour proved fruitful. I saw this gem in the parking lot of the Home Depot:

Blue45.jpg

This was the first time I ever laid eyes on a 45, other than on here. The license plate says it is a 77. I knew it was later than 75 due to the wipers, but the cowl vent threw me off; my 78 40 doesn't have one, so I'm guessing that either 45s did have them, or this guy is a mix of years :D. Either way it is looking SHARP! Check out those 70 series turn signals! Other than that I drove my 40 and broke down. After my Pertronix/Distributor woes, I think I have figured out that the "FlameThrower" coil is really the issue. The symptoms are fairly consistent across 2 igniters and now points as well, but with the points it died completely. So, I have a OEM Denso coil coming from ToyotaMatt, that should get it fixed. Back to the 45, does that beauty belong to anyone on here? Have a great weekend everyone!

Do have a build thread? I bought a 82 tub, frame and gas tank years ago. Bought it to trim pieces off the tub for my 79. Years later thinking of building versus cutting it up. Like you want it to look nice but not too nice to use. what body parts did you patch and which parts did you replaced?
Sorry, don't have a build thread. I probably should have made one. Maybe one day I'll compile photos and summarize it in a thread. If your tub is shot, using that replacement 82 tub seems like a great option.

I ended up using a real steel drivers floor patch which wasn't even close to fitting. I ended up using about 1/4 of it to replace some ribs on the passenger side and maybe 1/2 to replace a piece of flat steel the PO had used to replace part of the drivers floorpan. I just wanted the floor to look stock again with ribbing. I formed a few pieces on my own to replace some spots in the front pans, rear sill and wheel wells. In the rear I ended up ordering a CCOT replacement floor, so that is all brand new. Wheel wells in the rear were mostly good so I patched a few areas there. My quarter panels were replaced professionally soon after I bought it 20 years ago - they were really bad and I couldn't afford to fix the rest of it at the time. They were still in excellent shape. I ended up replacing my front fenders with NOS fenders one of the parts suppliers had available a while back.

I painted my fj55 a few years ago (only one small rust patch was needed on that one) then got overly confident and tore into this... I've been learning a lot as I go.
Anyway, what started as some quick patches in the floor has turned into a complete repaint, all the new weatherstrips and rubber, rebuilt motor, sniper EFI, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom