What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (25 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

didn't the KM3’s come out like…3 years ago?

Could be; I may have my model numbers switched - in any event they're the BFG MT tire available in 2008.

Is that a Belgium made Fabrique Nationale FN? I bought one back in the eighties new before the foreign import ban in 1989. Heard about the replacement dust cover to mount a scope. Back then spare magazines were dirt cheap, $50 for 10. I cut one down to only hold five rounds to make it legal to hunt with. Mine was a match grade and very accurate even with open sights. Liked mine so much also bought a FNC.

I wish mine was, but alas, only a metric-pattern Imbel-made (under license) rifle from Argentinian military surplus. I would love to have a Belgian-made inch pattern, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money for one.

I remember when you could get magazines for cheap at gun shows. I passed on many because why bother, they were so common! Wish I had bought more now.

Speaking of the import ban, I bought a brand-new HK 91 in 1980, was only 5 or 6 hundred dollars. Sold it for 4x that after the ban, because I needed a new engine for our family car at the time, but I really regret selling that rifle now.

More KNOBS ....................restore

DSCN1177.JPG

DSCN1179.JPG

DSCN1182.JPG

DSCN1183.JPG

I wish mine was, but alas, only a metric-pattern Imbel-made (under license) rifle from Argentinian military surplus. I would love to have a Belgian-made inch pattern, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money for one.

I remember when you could get magazines for cheap at gun shows. I passed on many because why bother, they were so common! Wish I had bought more now.

Speaking of the import ban, I bought a brand-new HK 91 in 1980, was only 5 or 6 hundred dollars. Sold it for 4x that after the ban, because I needed a new engine for our family car at the time, but I really regret selling that rifle now.

In the early eighties it was so many guns so little money. Remember in the mid eighties up to the ban on full autos in May of 86 you could buy a new Colt AR15, have it converted to full auto and pay the $200 stamp for under $1K. Wonder what one of those would sell for now? After the 86 full auto ban and 89 ban on import semi autos I dropped my membership in the NRA and stopped believing either party is interested in protecting our gun rights. Still waiting for those who want to blame only the Dems to bring up anything like what we lost in the eighties. The real thing that made me drop the hobby was the cost of ammo. Eighties if you bought it by the case it was ten cents a round. Doesn't seem to matter which party is in office ammo prices are ridiculous.

Pulled doors and hardtop off the '73 and dropped the windshield to check for rust. Tub is clean, windshield frame is clean, only very slight surface rust on cowl under windshield frame. A light sanding, hit it with rust convertor and paint will take care of it.

IMG_6548.JPG
IMG_6556.JPG
IMG_6557.JPG

Fixed that welded shackle. I didn't bother with flipping them because I am going to go a different route on the shackles and suspension in the near future. But I feel much safer now. Also got my vintage air AC working, tuned the holley sniper, and fixed the switch on the electronic front locker. Nit a bad morning. Found the rear diff is leaking oil. I'll repair when I put a locker in it in a month or 2. I'll probably slap a soetan or similar in the rear.

20210717_174013.jpg

16261475034176552194473008664132.jpg

My daughter was supposed to do a Girl Scout camp this summer up north of Magic Mountain off the 5 but it was canceled due to the ongoing presence of mountain lions in the camp area.
Saw a few while doing my MS thesis in Angeles Forest. Spent a summer on a gold lease when I graduated HS, saw a lot of tracks!

Things are changing here locally, mainly because the entire forest around town has been burned by seven major forest fires dating back to 1977. Back when I was growing up, all you ever saw were an occasional deer on the highway. Now we see deer in the yard almost every day, a coyote a couple of times a week, bobcats in the back yard, bears in the backyard and at the elementary school, and a mountain lion now and then (in broad daylight).

No wild boars, though. But we have seen javelina twice in the median and on the shoulder of I-40 between Albuquerque and Kingman. We didn't realize they were that far north.

My daughter was supposed to do a Girl Scout camp this summer up north of Magic Mountain off the 5 but it was canceled due to the ongoing presence of mountain lions in the camp area.

Saw a few while doing my MS thesis in Angeles Forest. Spent a summer on a gold lease when I graduated HS, saw a lot of tracks!

Seen javalina earlier this week south of I-40 at 7,000'.
IMG_20210711_185202634.jpg

Been over twenty five years seen I first seen javalina in the Northern Arizona. I was hunting turkey over 7'500' on a mountain south of Flagstaff. Was surprised to find them in a pine forest.

Don't have to go anywhere to be in mountain lion country. Last summer a lion kill was found less than a 1/4 mile from our home. A number of people have caught them on their game cameras by they homes. Game and Fish has a few with tracking collars in the area and says there is quite a few more. We also have coyotes, foxes, lynx and black bears. Game and Fish said collared wolf was tracked a wolf from the New Mexico/Arizona border that traveled thru our area then north of Flagstaff. Said he is a young male in search of a mate. Our most common visitor are these.
20210717_074911.jpg

This was this morning. They hung out for over three hours. Got within 20' of this guy, he never got up. Was the biggest of 6 bulls and one cow.
20210717_081828.jpg

Last edited:
In the early eighties it was so many guns so little money. Remember in the mid eighties up to the ban on full autos in May of 86 you could buy a new Colt AR15, have it converted to full auto and pay the $200 stamp for under $1K. Wonder what one of those would sell for now? After the 86 full auto ban and 89 ban on import semi autos I dropped my membership in the NRA and stopped believing either party is interested in protecting our gun rights. Still waiting for those who want to blame only the Dems to bring up anything like what we lost in the eighties. The real thing that made me drop the hobby was the cost of ammo. Eighties if you bought it by the case it was ten cents a round. Doesn't seem to matter which party is in office ammo prices are ridiculous.

I'm right there with you on these issues, and both parties being worthless.

I still have in my hoard, South African mil surp 7.62 NATO that I bought by the case years ago; I remember it seemed expensive at the time (19 cents/round) but now seems ridiculously cheap. I found some Czech-made FMJ at a local retailer the other day for $1/round.

I'm right there with you on these issues, and both parties being worthless.

I still have in my hoard, South African mil surp 7.62 NATO that I bought by the case years ago; I remember it seemed expensive at the time (19 cents/round) but now seems ridiculously cheap. I found some Czech-made FMJ at a local retailer the other day for $1/round.

What makes it's hard all the 7.62X51 surplus was berdan primers and 7.62X39 were copper washed steel cases. Only the 5.56X45 were reloadable.

Rebuilt my carb with the Keyster kit from Cruiser outfitters. Was simpler than I thought. My '75 has never run better. Replaced rubber fuel lines and installed new fuel filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom