What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (98 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you repaint or cover your side trim? Looks nice and getting tired of my black plasti dip strip. Also man that tire is close to the fender, 285/75R18 Duratracs on 200 series wheels?

Actually, the trim is totally factory, just a nice even fade. if you look closely at those pics, you can see the far back trim is newer and still has the unfaded color. I am planning on wrapping them with some vinyl in the near future (just needs to cool down a bit, too hot here in AZ still, and the adhesive is heat activated)

These are the 275/50R18 (so, just a hair smaller than 285/75)... but yup, they get real close. This was the first trip out with them, they rubbed a bit on the fender liner, but worked well otherwise. And yes, the rims are from a 2016 200 series

Our 2004 front drivers door needs to be adjusted and I can't seem to adjust it by myself, any advice on how you did it?

Somewhat related question. Our 2003 rear drivers door doesn't close as easily as the rest. It seems aligned well, but requires slightly more force to get the door completely closed, thoughts?
My passenger rear was just like your rear door. It was adjusted too far forward (maybe 1/6"-1/8") and was pinching the seal against the pillar too tightly. That was causing the door not to shut easily, and kinda "popped" open when you pulled the handle. Lower hinge bolt is behind the trim and seat belt assembly, and the other hinge bolt is from the outside. Not always the solution, but they are old vehicles and probably sagging a little. Front doors, haven't done yet, but looks like the access to the bolts are through the fender well.

4.5 hour trip North to Page/Lake Powell area for my sons football game. No time to explore but still a beautiful drive. Will be back this winter for a basketball tourney so maybe with better planning will get around a bit.

20180915_123714.jpg

20180915_131422.jpg

Finished the wheel repaint job today. The old paint was in terrible shape and I think may have been a really bad repaint by someone else. Not 100 sold on this color, wish it was a few shades darker but couldn't find anything darker that was still gray and not bronze. I guess it's fine for now. Sliders should be arriving soon so that's the next project coming soon!

IMG_20180916_162747.jpg
IMG_20180916_172622.jpg

What did you remove the FC for? I really like this feature in my 100, helps when there's a lot of traffic.
Yeah, but the 88 mph requirement is a bit tough. :)

Put it through a day-long paint correction. I started with a Porter Cable and quickly realized I didn't want to spend 12 hours buffing such a big car. Had to break out ol' trusty Makita and get it done. I wasn't going for perfect, just tolerable. Soon enough it'll have new stripes.

View attachment 1790506

View attachment 1790507

Makita 7”?

What products did you use and what was your process? Phenomenal!

Makita 7”?

What products did you use and what was your process? Phenomenal!

Yes, the 9227C. I've had it for years but rarely use it. My cars generally don't get to the point of needing big correction.

Nothing crazy. I haven't been up on new products for a while; there are all kinds of way cool polishes and sealants available now. I went old school/locally available with some Meguiar's Medium cut cleaner on a yellow foam pad with the rotary, then fine cut cleaner on an orange pad, and their ultimate compound with a white pad. I did the last step with the PC because admittedly, I've not used the high speed in a long time and I was never the best with it to begin with. I left some holograms behind with it that I needed to clear up. I sealed it with a base of Klasse AIO on a white pad and then a quick shot with Banana Wax. Eventually I'll put a layer or two of Klasse SG on top of the AIO.

Not perfect, but better than 90+% of cars on the road including new model year cars. I'll at least have a good baseline to see how much pin striping I can pick up on the trails.

With help from @flintknapper and @Ohiolc100 i replaced the front Evaporator, expansion valve and receiver/dryer. Added refrigerant and got the pressures correct. I have nice cold AC again.

These two mudders helped me save $900 that I was quoted for the work.

Thanks to both for their expertise and guidance. :beer:

^^^ That's what this forum is all about. Glad to hear you got it working, but check back in a month and let me know if it's still holding the charge. I gotta do mine too.

Finished the wheel repaint job today. The old paint was in terrible shape and I think may have been a really bad repaint by someone else. Not 100 sold on this color, wish it was a few shades darker but couldn't find anything darker that was still gray and not bronze. I guess it's fine for now. Sliders should be arriving soon so that's the next project coming soon!

View attachment 1791035 View attachment 1791034
@ERMB What was the process you followed to get the wheels painted? I need to do mine and I am planning to DIY this.

@ERMB What was the process you followed to get the wheels painted? I need to do mine and I am planning to DIY this.
I removed each wheel one at a time and threw my spare on as I rotated them so it didn't have to stay up on the Jack the whole time.
I cleaned the wheel with soap and water. Wet sanded the surface. I didn't even try get it back down to bare metal. Wiped it all down with a tack rag and cleaned it with soap and water one last time. 2 coats of primer, 3 coats paint, 3 coats of clear coat. 10min between coats. Ideally idI like 24 hours between paint color and clear coat, but I was in a hurry. I let them dry in the sun for about an hour and then did the clear coats with 10min intervals.
Keep the coats light and build them up to your desired finish. If the coats are too heavy you'll get wrinkling in the thicker areas that will require much more work to fix.
Best of Luck!!!

Thank you for the details!! @ERMB

^^^ That's what this forum is all about. Glad to hear you got it working, but check back in a month and let me know if it's still holding the charge. I gotta do mine too.

I’ll let you know in two weeks. That’s how long refrigerant lasted before needing a refill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom