What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (60 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

E359A34D-680E-40A0-BA26-973C47399BFD.jpeg
E6693411-89A7-4FC6-9B68-41F96A1A9112.jpeg
Drawers are coming along nicely. Just have power distribution and inverter to install

28514387_2106386096044691_4914183584251563620_o.jpg

Replaced my CV axles over the weekend. Not a complicated job, but very labor intensive. I read all of the write-ups and appropriate sections of the FSM beforehand and still struggled in some areas:

1) The drive flange cone washers are a major PITA. For the first side, I was very careful with a brass drift and a 2lb sledge, hitting the end of the stud/nut, the outside edge of the flange and the face of the flange next to the cone washers. I got them out but it was very frustrating and I ended up mangling the threads on some of the studs (next time, I'll have some replacement studs on hand, since they screw right in). By the time I got to the second side, I just pulled out the air rivet gun, ready to give it hell. To my surprise, a few rattles on the face of the stud/nut made the cone washers pop right out, and no mangled threads or flanges (I had new flanges, anyway).

2) The axles take a lot more force to remove/install than I thought. I was able to remove the passenger side with a brass drift on the lip, but I didn't have anything non-marring to install it with that didn't fall apart (tried a wood 2x2 and it would just splinter on the edge of the CV). I gave up and used a length of heavy wall steel tube with the sledge and it popped right in. I used the same method on the drivers side.

3) Checking the snap ring gap was a three-handed job. I used a bolt threaded into the end of the axle and levered it out with a claw hammer against the 54mm hub socket while I used the feeler gauge.

For next time, I'll make sure to keep a half-dozen drive flange studs on hand, get a CV joint puller and buy the correct snap ring tool (the pin type works, but is very fiddly).

I used an air hammer to get the cone washers off. 2 seconds each washer.

Reactions: BEG
E11201B5-763A-4D3A-BFB6-94A74F01FF5D.jpeg
03972820-FCC8-4264-9A09-9CE31BD9455A.jpeg
Ran across a unicorn (black) that I had to have. 73,000 Miles, all records, no AHC, and 1 owner. Sad to be selling my current example (Grey) - wish I could keep them both.

ADD8955A-F9FB-4E27-B0D3-30DE2A184082.jpeg

Mounted a BlueSea fuse box under the drivers side dash for upcoming additions. Fabricated a c shaped bracket so it floats in front of existing harness and used an existing threaded insert to mount it.

2DC3DE7C-A180-4319-AF60-1919F9E72FCF.jpeg
Installed a powerwerx 4.2a usb charger in my center console. Pulled power for it from the accessory outlets line.

Imported my new to me 2007 LC from Tuscon to Portland over the weekend. Made it a scenic trip since I had some time and was solo. I may start a thread but here is where I slept Saturday night...
IMG_3755.JPG

Recently I upgraded the speakers and added an under-seat sub. I also made a bracket thing that will convert from the standard LC windshield button to a universal button. Was finally able to hook up my new rearview mirror and connect to the previously installed backup camera. Thank goodness! That ended up as a month long project... The rearview mirror install doesn't look perfect, but it works well.

I've had my Mud Flap Eliminators for a few weeks and finally sprayed them black and put them on. Bolted right on, no problems. Ready for some wheeling in Joshua Tree next week.

20180313_180147.jpg
20180313_180222.jpg

Last edited:
It looks great!

My steering wheel does not look so good at the moment. I put on a cheap universal steering wheel cover that doesn't cover the "spokes".
I would like to do what you did.

Where did you buy your steering wheel cover?

I ordered this one for an LC and after I placed my order I messaged the seller to request the perforated sides.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QLYA3XS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see they now have a black one for the LX's if I did it again I would order the LX and request the brown from the LC version as that brown matches perfectly even if it doesnt look like it in the photos.
https://www.amazon.com/Loncky-Genui...&ie=UTF8&qid=1521114368&sr=8-1&keywords=lx470

Replaced OEM springs with hand me down OME 866. Got about 1.75-2 inches of lift. The previous springs were likely from the factory with ~250K miles on them. I will measure again after a few days of driving to see if it settles a bit. Key for getting OEM springs out was our creative use of the bottle jack to get full articulation:
View attachment 1652341

Also changed oil, oil filter, cleaned MAF sensor and replaced cigarette lighter with dual usb port. Noticed a bit of grease potentially leaking from driver side CV axle, so add that to the list of spring maintenance items.

Some pics:

After installing OME 866 springs (thanks @AimCOtaco )
IMG_0352.JPG

Also got some recovery points from @reevesci :
IMG_0353.JPG

When I was under the truck pulling the oil filter on Sunday I also noticed some undesirable fluid on my DS CV. Doesn't look like grease from the boot. Any ideas?
IMG_0354.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom