What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (89 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It never fails but as soon as I sell my last of something I end up needing it. Got a cruiser with a rusty tank and no good ones to swap in so gotta clean it up
PXL_20230205_212932732.jpg

Cheap cargo box complete. I mean, I still had to mortgage my house to afford the lumber, but it is cheap, relatively speaking. Pocket screws and glue. I will build the wings and the second row sleeping platform next.

A250BE7D-60D2-4B06-87FB-0AEB18E7B7AF.jpeg
8C521887-8243-4EF9-A4D1-3E7312A1D188.jpeg

Did my 67th oil change today. Replaced the transfer case neutral position switch and both rear door courtesy switches (2nd time for the door switches). In a snow storm, no pics...:p

So I'm assuming this cleans out the rust in the tank but what is this process exactly?
Electrolysis. It uses a current (battery charger) anode rod (old lawn mower blade) and a sodium carbonate mixture (water and washing powder) to remove the rust and collect it on the rod. It's not the fastest method but it does work.

Took 2 old blades and keep swapping them out after I grind all the rust back down. Just leave them in there for a few hours and come back to them covered in rust.

Electrolysis. It uses a current (battery charger) anode rod (old lawn mower blade) and a sodium carbonate mixture (water and washing powder) to remove the rust and collect it on the rod. It's not the fastest method but it does work.

Took 2 old blades and keep swapping them out after I grind all the rust back down. Just leave them in there for a few hours and come back to them covered in rust.
How deep is the solution level inside the tank? The battery charger clamp looks to be pretty low on one of the ports on the side.

Stupid vent trim thingie behind the stupid rear sliding window got all broken. Stupid Mesquites…

So I drilled some little holes and punched in these little nylon body trim plugs.

582D7029-77D3-4380-A61C-CD626408B7E5.jpeg

Maybe slow but definitely the best method. Good old chemistry!!!!

Stupid vent trim thingie behind the stupid rear sliding window got all broken. Stupid Mesquites…

So I drilled some little holes and punched in these little nylon body trim plugs.

View attachment 3240604
Kind of stealth. I broke this brand new piece almost immediately after installing it. LOL

Wife took care of the kid all day today so finally got to spend a little time on a few things

Tested out a few different methods of cleaning the headliner and carpet which were both pretty rough- Griots interior cleaner spray and some steam seems to work the best of what I tried. A few patches are looking nice and clean lol

Went to top off the camper’s tires in preparation for setting up the WDH to get ready for Spring camping- killed the cigarette lighter outlet with the 12v inflator. Thought I popped a fuse but fuse was good. Found a thread here and took apart the dash, removed the lighter assembly, removed the paper washer/fuse in the lighter assembly and put back together.. what an odd thing that little guy is lol

Finally removed the battery box and adjusted the steering box screw, took care of basically all the steering wheel slop. Great success!

A couple weeks ago I found out I have a pretty gnarly leak in both bottom corners of the windshield after about a week’s worth of rain, passenger side carpet was sopping wet. Amazon brought my Sikaflex 221 yesterday, will be resealing it as soon as we get a few days of 50° temps.

7 pole trailer wiring and brake controller should be here in time for next weekend. Luckily PO had a 4 pole harness already and plenty of info here on where to tap for brakes so should be pretty quick.

Slowly but surely getting to know this old broad 🤙🏼🤙🏼

Rear control arms. OOF

57FF5E58-7DB5-4FC2-B407-DAD5601A4DEC.jpeg

0237578C-FC46-43C3-B940-26A1B37FD28D.jpeg

A100E9DA-3BDA-4CC4-93C1-1ACB22E5DE08.jpeg

6FB60AE4-CE50-4F8E-A30F-4632ABCA7FDD.jpeg

Last edited:
Wheel speed and low psi are your friend in the sand
Yah it was actually a recovery training, they wanted us bogged so we can practice.

The desert is just mesmerising .....
20230204_135610.jpg
20230203_164450.jpg
20230204_135604.jpg
20230204_135559.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom