What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (88 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had a broken hub stud for last few weeks so “MUD induced paranoia” caused me to change them all out including wheel studs. 😝
Put studs in freezer overnight then used wits-end tool and torque wrench set at 67 ftlbs to pull them home.
Shout out to wits-end @NLXTACY for the stud tool, the front axle reference poster, and the hub kits. Makes working on cruiser 10x easier.
SO nice to know studs are new and have NEVER been torqued past spec!
(Yes I like paint pens)
74F18F3D-8513-4186-93DD-ED68C4B7116D.jpeg
FC0C7207-F860-416B-904F-BB0A7A9A2A8E.jpeg

Drove it down to Albuquerque for the High Desert Cookout and Social Event.

Thanks to @Atwalz and @TYM4FUN we replaced my rear control arm bushings.

We realized that one of them was a bit bent though. We replaced them anyway.
I’ve seen folks on the Rubicon straighten a panhard rod over a log…

I’ve seen folks on the Rubicon straighten a panhard rod over a log…
So I savaged this telephone pole in my alley.

BFEFA491-47D9-4E8E-8037-8D93F83F5C84.jpeg

8021987C-37C7-4C43-A9F4-E6D3F7857665.jpeg

Does the head gasket typically fail on the #1 cylinder or does it fail on a random cylinder when it decides to go? (Just curious...)
Head gasket failed on #6 just like the last 4 motors I have rebuilt. The general consensus is from the egr gas recirculating into the back of the head. The #1 cylinder had some scaring from a middle broken piston ring. Extremely rare for 1fz’s. It will be bored .50mm over and new pistons.

Found out this light actually works

View attachment 3191704
If you don't know...when that light comes on and it's SOLID, you have approx 5 (US) gallons remaining.

For me, despite being that rare rig that gets 17.5mpg (Highway, all stock with 265/70R16 tires, no mods, and when I'm NOT running the AC), I'll go another 65 miles and fill up, just to be safe.
I know I can go a *little* more, but I don't want to chance it.

Found out this light actually works

View attachment 3191704

If you don't know...when that light comes on and it's SOLID, you have approx 5 (US) gallons remaining.

For me, despite being that rare rig that gets 17.5mpg (Highway, all stock with 265/70R16 tires, no mods, and when I'm NOT running the AC), I'll go another 65 miles and fill up, just to be safe.
I see that one a lot. I think it needs a bell or something for when it gets down to about a gallon.

:lol:

This weekend I found out I'm still getting water inside my Cruiser, down on the floorboards. It's not "standing water" but it's a little more than damp. Not sopping, like if you put your hand down there and push, but...you can feel it.

I recently had the windshield gasket replaced (OEM with a shop who knows 80 series cruiser glass gasket requirements) and thought this would alleviate my water issues...come to find out, the seal on the sunroof isn't getting the job done and the Portland rain seeps in, travels wherever it goes, down the A-Pillar and then into the floors. It's also seeping into the headliner.

So, I purchased some Gorilla Waterproof sealant tape (4" wide) and sealed the sunroof with it and threw in three moisture collectors.

I'd been thinking about doing the update on the carpet...there's a vendor here on MUD that cuts new carpets; I want to update the seats anyways to Audi A4s seats...might as well rip out the carpet, do the heat shielding/sound dampening mod, add the new carpet, and put in the seats, and then pull the headliner down, clean and sterilize the area, clean the headliner itself, and then put it back. This will wait until the summer though. Until then, the sunroof will stay sealed with the tape. I'll also order a new OEM seal for it and probably have the same glass place who replaced the windshield gasket do this work also. Might as well replace the rear glass gasket also at that point.

Damn.

I also ordered my full knuckle rebuild kit with Toyo bearings.

My buddies and I also drove out to the firs leg of the WABDR to see how much snow there is for a run we were thinking about doing next saturday...and that run is now on hold until summer due to snow and a lot of debris. We'll find another run for my 80, his Disco2, and the Gladiator.

There are times where I kinda think about just throwing in the towel to sell it and go with another rig; apparently the PO didn't take care of their 80 and the little things like the seals...and the front knuckles...and I know are general maintenance for a 25 year old vehicle but the electrical gremlins I have bug the jeebus out of me. But at the same time, working on this thing is half the (frustrating) fun.

5959FD2B-65D4-4068-83F1-9597E66450AD.jpeg

Last edited:

Oh I know. I usually fill up around 17-18 gallons which is why I've never seen it.

I averaged 18 when it was my dd with 315's. But now that it's just for errands I see closer to 15.

I've seen as high as 22 on a long road trip.

I have been driving mine since 1997. I have seen that light come on TOO many times. I mule deer hunt in west Texas. I have to take three full 5 gallon gas cans plus a full tank of gas to get out to the hunting ranch and back to the nearest gas station in Sanderson, Texas. It is truly in the middle of no where. It is very near where they filmed the movie "No country for old men". I am 66 years old and I can identify with that movie title everytime I go out there. The country is so rough that if you have a medical emergency, you have to get out to the main road for the Ambulance to pick you up. We found this out because one of our neighbors fell through his roof and broke his leg while making repairs. We had to put him in a pickup and drive for over an hour to get him out to where the ambulance could pick him up. If you look on the map "dark places" Light Pollution Map - DarkSiteFinder.com - https://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html#5/38.462/-89.780 it is one of the most remote places in the country. If you haven't been out to one of the dark places on this map, you should go! You won't believe what the starry sky can look like without light pollution!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom