What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (39 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed new Ron Davis radiator today. It’s beautiful.
77F89347-9306-43D5-87E5-6ABC08CB34F9.jpeg

Installed the latest and greatest in Fire extinguishers. (Thanks Herman) Complete with a glass breaker and seat belt cutter. Last 5X as long as a traditional 5lb extinguisher at less than a 5th of the weight. Mounted for quick access without being the way or taking up useful space.

Still carry cable cutters because NO fire extinguisher will put out an electrical fire without killing the power source.

View attachment 2102160

Not an Element but same concept

as soon as I saw writing I knew it was Herman lol

I was driving my 1 ton van pulling the trailer up I-5 toward Lassen and my daughter was, a few miles back, driving the 80 with her always present male friend. The front driveshaft sheered off at the u-joint on the transfer case end while going about 60mph. The driveshaft then began flapping about with quite a bit of force and immediately cut the brake lines. Next, a 5” wide hole was smashed open on the transmission. Lastly the driveshaft attempted to come through the floorboard to access the legs of my daughters always present male friend. Floor board was split and pushed up about 3” hitting only a back pack, thank God. This whole disturbance in the force caused the airbags to deploy in both their faces(the boy was sleeping at the time). Daughter pulls off the freeway but has no brakes. Boy pulls E-brake, no human damage. Not even her arms(10 and 2) were damaged. The windshield had been cracked for years from a very fun trip pushing through trees on the trail. I am guessing the passenger airbag deploying sent the crack into overdrive finishing off the windshield.

It has been a fun ride. I'm ready to start on a new platform. For sale ad here.

20191007_082147

Curious, was the front DS a double cardan using a Spicer yoke where it attached to the transfer case?

Installed new Ron Davis radiator today. It’s beautiful.

What did that run you and what advantages does this have over an OEM rad?

What did that run you and what advantages does this have over an OEM rad?

I'm on my second; one in a supercharged LX and now one in a turbo'd LX. The RD rad is 100% aluminum, Made in USA, 12 fins per inch vs 7 on OEM. Its two row but wider than OEM. The longest lasting OEM radiator I had was the very first it came with which lasted 80k. I'm now at 100k with the RD and it still looks new with zero issues. When I was going through all my overheating issues with my SC'd truck, I credit the RD rad for dissipating enough heat to prevent another headgasket issue.

Cost out the door is $1100. But then I clear anodized it and got further stupid with it :p

IMG_3019.jpeg

Stock driveshaft

We did a transmission replacement for @bpassmore due to a double cardan failure on the road. Fortunately it missed the brake lines, but it dented the floor and knocked a hole in the transmission.

The folks driving it were doing 70 on the interstate passing a truck when it suddenly let go. No warning.

We did a transmission replacement for @bpassmore due to a double cardan failure on the road. Fortunately it missed the brake lines, but it dented the floor and knocked a hole in the transmission.

The folks driving it were doing 70 on the interstate passing a truck when it suddenly let go. No warning.
No warning, unfortunately. BTW how much did you charge just for the transmission replacement. Big surprise, no one wants to buy an expensive truck that doesnt run. Fix it or part it out . . . hmmm

No warning, unfortunately. BTW how much did you charge just for the transmission replacement. Big surprise, no one wants to buy an expensive truck that doesnt run. Fix it or part it out . . . hmmm

I'm not going to go into that on cost and such.

Here's the thread on it. Click on the other threads embedded so you can see more of the story.

I will tell you it took about 60-70 man-hours total. Pulling a transmission separately from the engine is difficult, to say the least. All the time was donated in this case.

I'm on my second; one in a supercharged LX and now one in a turbo'd LX. The RD rad is 100% aluminum, Made in USA, 12 fins per inch vs 7 on OEM. Its two row but wider than OEM. The longest lasting OEM radiator I had was the very first it came with which lasted 80k. I'm now at 100k with the RD and it still looks new with zero issues. When I was going through all my overheating issues with my SC'd truck, I credit the RD rad for dissipating enough heat to prevent another headgasket issue.

Cost out the door is $1100. But then I clear anodized it and got further stupid with it :p

You had overheating issues? :popcorn:

Oh ya, look kind black in the above picture but they are not.

View attachment 2102323

Cheers
I got the same tires on my rig a few months back. Really impressed with how quiet they are compared with my Coopers STT Pro. Winter is coming, so we will see how they do.

Picked up the cruiser from the upholstery shop today. I had them install my l seat kit. It only cost $250 for the installation and he had it done by lunch today. So it took him 4 hours. Pretty impressive. Overall he did a great job and the seats are comfortable. He wasn't impressed with the quality of the L seat leather but for $300 it's hard to beat and it's a night and day difference. He even fixed the pockets behind the seat.

20191009_184656.jpg

20191009_184658.jpg

20191009_184703.jpg

I was driving my 1 ton van pulling the trailer up I-5 toward Lassen and my daughter was, a few miles back, driving the 80 with her always present male friend. The front driveshaft sheered off at the u-joint on the transfer case end while going about 60mph. The driveshaft then began flapping about with quite a bit of force and immediately cut the brake lines. Next, a 5” wide hole was smashed open on the transmission. Lastly the driveshaft attempted to come through the floorboard to access the legs of my daughters always present male friend. Floor board was split and pushed up about 3” hitting only a back pack, thank God. This whole disturbance in the force caused the airbags to deploy in both their faces(the boy was sleeping at the time). Daughter pulls off the freeway but has no brakes. Boy pulls E-brake, no human damage. Not even her arms(10 and 2) were damaged. The windshield had been cracked for years from a very fun trip pushing through trees on the trail. I am guessing the passenger airbag deploying sent the crack into overdrive finishing off the windshield.

It has been a fun ride. I'm ready to start on a new platform. For sale ad here.

20191007_082147

Damn. So glad everyone’s OK.
This is my nightmare. I am having my driveshafts rebuilt... may even buy new OEM ones because I don’t trust anyone to rebuild them😝

Installed Joey's useless cubby insert and fitted it out with an iPad (1st Gen w/ cell) and my phone. Had some of the Ram mount gadgets already ordered others. Pretty excited about how well I can navigate to the mall now!

View attachment 2102639

View attachment 2102640

View attachment 2102641

View attachment 2102642
How sturdy is it?
It’s pretty rigid considering the rotational weight that’s now mounted to it. I wouldn’t stand on it or anything but the vibrations are almost nihl when driving over speed bumps or crossing the railroad tracks at the mall!

It’s pretty rigid considering the rotational weight that’s now mounted to it. I wouldn’t stand on it or anything but the vibrations are almost nihl when driving over speed bumps or crossing the railroad tracks at the mall!

Same experience here. I have an ipad mini 4, so a little less rotational weight. I have the two standard length ram arms and have zero complaints with over a thousand offroad miles on it. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom