What did you do to your pig today? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Out with the old Longfields in with
20170514_115232.jpg
the new ones

What was bad with the old longs? How long did they last. I've got them in my axles, too and wondering what their life span is.

I am full time 4x4 so they take a beating . the outer bell is softer than stock and the balls wear a grove ,after about 20k miles they are worn enough that i have concerns about breaking one if i am too hard on it . so she get new ones every 2 years

I am full time 4x4 so they take a beating . the outer bell is softer than stock and the balls wear a grove ,after about 20k miles they are worn enough that i have concerns about breaking one if i am too hard on it . so she get new ones every 2 years

Do you ever just switch sides so you are spinning them the other way?

no switching sides , judging from the 80s honda car axle sound the wear is above normal . in years past i have dissembled and measured the wear .mixed and matched parts to extend wear .. now that the price has come down i just throw in a new set every couple of years and call it maintenance. by then it alwayse needs axle seals any way

Pablo,

You're ahead of me. Transmission out, rear axle out, steering column out, dash out and that's just the big stuff. I'll see you there! :)

WTH Scraps? I thought you were going to rebuild the transfer not the Pig.
Why is all the new stuff coming back out?

Transfer case rebuild with lower gears, rear ARB pushing oil out the line ( new o rings again ) with me involved this time. Steering is weird, hanging up sometimes, dragging? I'm checking it out. Dash is apart just to replace a switch that the light blew. I'm pissed about the rear axle, I paid a "pro" to rebuild it after I had the Poly axle shaft go south and now it's blowing oil. Little stuff includes new brake line that was leaking and trying to figure out why the new e brake isn't holding tight.

I guess it's par for the course when building one from the ground up, but I'd like it to end one day.

"I guess it's par for the course when building one from the ground up, but I'd like it to end one day."

Dream on, Ron. My to do list seems to get longer, not shorter, seven years after getting mine together. To quote the esteemed musical philosopher Robt. E. Keen: "The road goes on forever and the party never ends!"
See you in Rico in a few weeks...

Did you pressure test the locker?

If it holds pressure then I would assume you are seeing some residual oil in the line, if it doesn’t hold pressure and is pumping oil out the air locker line I would assume you not only have some O-ring issues but also a venting issue with the rear housing.

Something isn't adding up..

"I guess it's par for the course when building one from the ground up, but I'd like it to end one day."

Dream on, Ron. My to do list seems to get longer, not shorter, seven years after getting mine together. To quote the esteemed musical philosopher Robt. E. Keen: "The road goes on forever and the party never ends!"
See you in Rico in a few weeks...
I got scuff plates :)

J Mack,

I was told last time he did pressure test, but this time in Moab the compressor kept turning on, I thought an air leak and I had oil coming out the solenoid. I have a new vent ( hose barb) and new line, so vent is fine. I took it apart and we'll see what's up with it. Hoping he just screwed up the seals putting in? I took everything apart and started over, seals, repacked bearings, etc.

J Mack,

I was told last time he did pressure test, but this time in Moab the compressor kept turning on, I thought an air leak and I had oil coming out the solenoid. I have a new vent ( hose barb) and new line, so vent is fine. I took it apart and we'll see what's up with it. Hoping he just screwed up the seals putting in? I took everything apart and started over, seals, repacked bearings, etc.

Sum bitch...

Hoping he just screwed up the seals putting in?

In my mind it’s going to take more than a bad ARB seal to pump gear oil up to a solenoid through a small air locker line, saying the seals are totally FUBAR if the housing is vented properly there shouldn’t much if any pressure to push the oil that direction.

ARB compressors are oil-less so the assumption would be gear oil from the diff, are you running the Puma compressor and is it also oil-less design?

Yes, it's a Puma and oil less. Seems to be a common problem looking on the internet. Vent, o rings or the o ring housing are the main problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom