What did you do on your 70 series today? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wish I had taken "before and after photos" to fully demonstrate the difference. The factory daytime running light was a faint yellow glow at best. That's no longer the case. :) The 8" Aurora driving lights also have a daytime running light feature so there is little doubt folks can see me coming.

I also plan to upgrade the small amber marker lights on the fenders as well as install Aurora fog lights in the new brush bar. I want to at least even the odds with the local deer population.

Last edited:
sorry charles, I just don't like it when people put LED's in a housing not designed for them. it never turns out good for either the installed vehicle or those that have to encounter such modified lights. I hope they work out for you and those who are now oncoming will not be blinded. I have yet to see one vehicle that has LED's in a non-led designed headlight that has not blinded on coming traffic. Hope your headlights do better, sorry just a pet pieve of mine when it comes to LED's in headlights not designed for LED's. c2dfj45 has the right idea. Good thing I live 4200mi from you ;)

sorry charles, I just don't like it when people put LED's in a housing not designed for them. it never turns out good for either the installed vehicle or those that have to encounter such modified lights. I hope they work out for you and those who are now oncoming will not be blinded. I have yet to see one vehicle that has LED's in a non-led designed headlight that has not blinded on coming traffic. Hope your headlights do better, sorry just a pet pieve of mine when it comes to LED's in headlights not designed for LED's. c2dfj45 has the right idea. Good thing I live 4200mi from you ;)
First of all I agree that the newer LED (aka severe white) headlights can be a pain to oncoming vehicles especially when the approaching vehicle has been lifted like so many of the pickups down here.
However there are other factors at play in my decision. I have LED driving lights already installed and will be adding LED fog lights in the brushbar. As I learned with my 77 Series, when you mix "white light" with "yellow light" the yellow light has a tendency to get washed out (certainly not a scientific term) and becomes very ineffective. It also alters what the human eye is perceiving. Hopefully my headlights can be aimed in such a way that others don't find them offensive and don't feel the need to move 4,200 miles away to avoid them.

Last edited:
Update.. fender flare installation..
Hi all.. figured out the fitting & bolting... you'll see some blue putty like stuff.. actually such the flares to the body.. pilot drill.. drill & install riv-nuts.. fit up.. tuck in gasket & tighten..
Flares follow body profiles well
dislikes: pocket area where bolts tighten seem a little thin.. I'm going to design a reinforcing pad to evenly distribute tensioning forces..

rps20190217_164334.jpg

rps20190217_164633.jpg

rps20190217_165122.jpg

rps20190217_165024.jpg

rps20190217_164949.jpg

Update.. fender flare installation..
Hi all.. figured out the fitting & bolting... you'll see some blue putty like stuff.. actually such the flares to the body.. pilot drill.. drill & install riv-nuts.. fit up.. tuck in gasket & tighten..
Flares follow body profiles well
dislikes: pocket area where bolts tighten seem a little thin.. I'm going to design a reinforcing pad to evenly distribute tensioning forces..

View attachment 1907011

View attachment 1907013

View attachment 1907014

View attachment 1907015

View attachment 1907016
I think that's why the ones I sell are so nice....the 5mm thickness of the flare does not bow or distort at all. We use a washer on ours.

Thanks Dan!

My new 79 build might get some flares on it this week so we can all have a look at them on a 79....

dismantled my storage drawer and started the rethink/redo. Basing it around a Drifta car-back kitchen and floor mounting the fridge.

33255060778_271ffebaff_z.jpg

This photo doesn't do the LED upgrade justice but the difference in brightness is "significant".View attachment 1906495

I'm looking for a complete LED replacement .. or at least a LED " panel " did you came across of something like that ..?

Planning to upgrade my turning bulbs too along with the LED flasher ..

I'm looking for a complete LED replacement .. or at least a LED " panel " did you came across of something like that ..?

Planning to upgrade my turning bulbs too along with the LED flasher ..
P.M. Sent

Hey Clint, Anything in particular cracked your springs or just wear and tear? I Want to go back to NZ.

Bad steel from new most likely, you just can see the line of rust where a crack is in the pic:

i-WLjxKpK-M.jpg

The other one broke. They were custom made by a local springmaker when I did the 80 series axle swap. To their credit they made me some new ones quick smart, no fuss, no charge. Apparently they'd also had the same issue on a couple of other springs that were made at the same time.

It's been a great summer here, been making the most of it with some 4wd, MTB, motorbiking etc. We're heading down to the South Is in a couple of weeks too, can't wait!

Cheers
Clint

G'Day Fella's,

Clint, I think they refer to this problem, as De-lamination?
Not sure if it is caused by poor quality steel, or maybe it's heat treatment?
As long as your back up and running, thats the main thing.

Enjoy the South Island, It's a Slice of Heaven!
I need to get back over their myself, and chase another Chamois/Chammy and maybe a Red.

D'oh!
Homer

Decided to try and see what was going on with my wipers on the BJ74 after seeing @beno repair his. It appears just a bolt was loose on the wiper, as I tightened they both moved together and not alone. I still can't 100% test until I put the batteries back in, but I'll take a tiny victory right now.

Since my Cruiser has somewhat of a Middle Eastern heritage I thought these would be cool. :)

Sometimes you can simply look at a Land Cruiser and tell it was a product of a "quality build" and then there are times when you can tell that "quality" was not in the builders vocabulary. This is an example of the screws that were used on my rear taillight assembly. (actually this is one of the better ones, the rest had to be drilled out).
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom