Unobtainium (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1984_10.jpg
1983 1.jpg

:hmm:
IMG_20210113_200700817.jpg

If your into detail this is actually the correct knob for the 40 series H55F. Also the earlier round knob was never used with the H55F. I personally prefer the later shapes knob that matches the 60 series and 40 series H55F.

The 61180 is beautiful. USA got that dissy for 76.5-77 model years, but the vac advancers are dying on them and toyo discontinued the part, now that they're old enough to need replaced.

This would be a drop in for USA 75-77 2F, with the added advantage of converting the 75-76 from vac retard to advance. It would also drop into any earlier engine, though they theoretically should have the tiny 61080 F distributor.

The 61180 can be converted to pertronix electronic, but it takes a weird kit. Mark A knows which one to use for 75-77 dissy.
I think it is possible to drop in the Toyota electronic ignition by changing out the breaker plate and swapping the point cam for a trigger wheel. Haven't done it yet, but that's essentially what Denso did in 1978.

If the vac advancers could be bought from Toyota, it could be used to save a bunch of 75-80 USA dissys that either need swapped from retard to advance, or need a bad advancer replaced.

It's all good!
What coil setup do I need to run with the 61180?

The dissy doesn't care. The coil needs to match the vehicle:
straight 12v,
ballast & starter bypass,
Ignitor box & 12v,
Ignitor & ballast,
Or ...

The dissy doesn't care. The coil needs to match the vehicle:
straight 12v,
ballast & starter bypass,
Ignitor box & 12v,
Ignitor & ballast,
Or ...
Jim, on my `69 with vacuum advance distributor, I need to replace the coil and starter. If I get an external ballast coil, what toyota starter is best to pair with it?

Last edited:
Jim, on my `69 with vacuum advance distributor, I need to replace the coil and starter. If I get an external ballast coil, what toyota starter is best to pair with it?

this is a Ballast Coil type starter ,

the latest From DENSO , it's a compact direct drive or PS starter with .1 kw more then the traditional gear reduction one commonly used on a F, F 1.5, & 2F

1612682949795.png

1612692622962.png

Last edited:
@ToyotaMatt what are we to source the core from? I can't find much info on this starter from Denso or through Toyota for application info. IIRC the 84 dictates forklift application? I don't remember.

i simply put the OLD loaf of bread starters the big cone heads in the core box its a land cruiser starter , see the PS unit above is NON-USA i source in the Saudi spec region , i should of mentioned that earlier , it is super tolerant to heat and desert climate

due to compact size and increase distance from engine block and such it has a air gap if u will all around it now , so it can shed any self built up heat friction cause when it cranks

see tech pics below , the black cylinder part of my PS DENSO unit is the exact sixe of a simple 12ox pepsi can sid eby side

no joke i will proive it with a photo if any body doubts this size spec. .......

its real and its killer kool new state of the are technology

20200515_163609.jpg
DSCN2013.JPG
IMG_0928.png

Last edited:
@ToyotaMatt what are we to source the core from? I can't find much info on this starter from Denso or through Toyota for application info. IIRC the 84 dictates forklift application? I don't remember.
-84 indicates that it is a remanufactured part.

-71 would indicate forklift part.

It makes no sense to pay $245 for a starter and some hardware when the 2.0kW 28100-60070-84 starter is readily available from any Toyota dealer for less than a $100.00 :meh:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom