Fairey Overdrives (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Living in the Past

SILVER Star
Threads
Both the three and four speed overdrives have been sold.

I have decided to sell off a couple of the Fairey Overdrive I have. One three speed and one four speed. While they are not new in the box they are both unused.

The story with the three speed it was a unfinished high shop project. It was installed to a 350 or 400 trans. Not sure which but I do still have the adapter for it. The rig (73 FJ40) never got close to being finished. The trans never got install to the engine. While this sat outside the inside was still like new.

The four speed was bought for a 79 FJ40 that it wouldn't fit because of the gas tank. When I bought it years ago it was in storage shed in a backyard in some decaying boxes. A few pieces were missing which I replaced with new pieces.

Things I don't have for these overdrives-floor boots-emblem for the shift knob-gaskets for the two halfs
I do have install manual for the four speed that I not sure how complete it is, SOR sells the manuals for both three and four speed. Three speed still has the gasket between the two halfs but used. I will include a sample of the thickness and type of gasket. This is from the four speed overdrive, it was brittle and cracked. One of the knob does have a used emblem if some one wants.

I am selling these as used and as is, but these are complete units and unused. The price is $1,000 each plus shipping. I don't charge any handling charge, just what it cost to ship.

The three speed is the far left in the picture and the four speed is next to it.

John

0001.JPG
0002.JPG
0003.JPG
0003.JPG

Last edited:
Strictly a cash deal, or trades for unobtanium considered? I'm toying with the idea of building an OD for the 45 in lieu of the H55 project I abandoned two years ago.

:)

I am looking for new syncros for a four speed version Fairey Overdrive.

Do you know where I can get them (E-Mail spmltd@gmail.com)?

Thanks,

Steve

From what I can tell the only difference between the three and four speed one piece case overdrive is in the pieces that fit on the tranmission tail shaft. The rest look the same. The output gear can be switched between the two. So my guess is the syncros are the same. I don't know of any source for these parts. I was able to pick up the stock of one of the parts houses that drop them because Fairey went out of business. Syncros and the double gear in the lower end seems to be the parts that were hard to get. So I would check to make sure the bearing in the lower end are in good shape. It might get hard to shift with bad syncros but if the lower end gear goes bad there is no replacement. I have shafts, bearings and O-rings but no gears.

John

Strictly a cash deal, or trades for unobtanium considered? I'm toying with the idea of building an OD for the 45 in lieu of the H55 project I abandoned two years ago.

:)

Mark I'm really looking for cash and the only unobtanium I would like to find is the F135 block that matches the number on my FJ45 VIN plate. But it doesn't hurt to try. What you got?

John

What do you use in a truck that has a 4 speed tranny and the three speed transfer or is that not possible?

John
there is a wikipedia web page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Aviation
that says the fairey OD's are being made in the US ?
has anybody contacted Super-winch for parts or OD's ?
In 1975 Fairey designed and manufactured a mechanical overdrive unit for Land Rovers. Vehicles fitted with the unit carried a badge on the rear saying 'Overdrive by Fairey', with the Fairey logo (see above).

This branch of products effectively ceased in the early 1980s when new product development at Land Rover and a trend for manufacturers to build accessories in-house forced Fairey to drop out of the sector. The American company Superwinch bought the Tavistock works and continued making the Fairey-designed winch for a few years. The site is now Superwinch's European base and manufacturing facility. The Fairey Overdrive is still in production in America.

What do you use in a truck that has a 4 speed tranny and the three speed transfer or is that not possible?

I plan on doing that myself with a H41 and three speed transfer. I might have the Extra parts to fit the four speed tail. If I do I could change those parts. That's only if they are new, I not selling any used that may be damage. Mark (65swb45) has the PTO gear if needed.

John

I plan on doing that myself with a H41 and three speed transfer. I might have the Extra parts to fit the four speed tail. If I do I could change those parts. That's only if they are new, I not selling any used that may be damage. Mark (65swb45) has the PTO gear if needed.

John

All my trucks have the PTO gear. One, the FJ45LV has the H41 and a three speed transfer and the FJ55 has an H42 and the three speed transfer case. Maybe I'll wait till I see what you put together before I try anything.

Does the overdrive work with a factory PTO winch setup?

All my trucks have the PTO gear. One, the FJ45LV has the H41 and a three speed transfer and the FJ55 has an H42 and the three speed transfer case. Maybe I'll wait till I see what you put together before I try anything.

Does the overdrive work with a factory PTO winch setup?

Your PTO gears will not fit in the overdrive. You need the one that Fairey made for these. They will work with the PTO winch setup. The Fairey Overdrive for the split case won't work with the PTO winch.

John

Next time I go to the cabin if I have room I'll bring back the parts and put one together. H41, 72/73 three speed tranfer, PTO unit and the overdrive. I know it will work, I've compared all the parts between the three and four overdrives. All the parts that fit on the transmission tail shafts are different between the two but the rest are the same. The out put gear has the same spline count and will interchange. It's really a nobrainer if you have the parts. Another advantage of the Fairey overdrive is that the overdrive's splines ride in a different location on the tail shaft. My H41 has a worn tail shaft where the drive gear rode but the Overdrive's splines are a further back on the tail shaft.

John

John
i am interested in the 3 speed
& does the adapter come with it ?
the three speed was installed to a 350 or 400 trans. Not sure which but I do still have the adapter for it.

John
i am interested in the 3 speed
& does the adapter come with it ?

I still have the adapter, and can go with the overdrive. I don't know anything about it other than it's shorter than most the ones I see selling now. It has a Advance adapter AA number on it. I will post some pictures and the spline count when I get home. I'm sure other people will know more about it. The big advantage of this one is it has a full tail shaft so the overdrive will work with it.

John

Here are a couple of pictures of the adapter. AA on one side 1107 on the other. I'm thinking it's for a 350 but I could be wrong. I think the spline count is 55?

John
0006.JPG
0007.JPG

John, don't want to be an alarmist, but red flags go up when I hear AA and Fairey in the same sentence. IT would be beyond slim odds that an aftermarket mfgr would duplicate ALL the spline reference points of a stock shaft [i.e. lots of extra machining] unless they felt there was a need to do so. Generally all they provide is the splining necessary to replace the gears.

AA typically uses a shorter than stock shaft with just enough stub thru the rear bearing for a nyloc. I'm not saying it's impossible that the spud shaft you have is an exact replica of a 3 speed tailshaft, but I kind of doubt it. Also, that particular design [spud shaft type] often has a special companion tailshaft that is required to be installed into the transmission, as opposed to cutting the end down off a stock tailshaft. This is something that also needs further investigation.

Hth

Mark A.

John, don't want to be an alarmist, but red flags go up when I hear AA and Fairey in the same sentence. IT would be beyond slim odds that an aftermarket mfgr would duplicate ALL the spline reference points of a stock shaft [i.e. lots of extra machining] unless they felt there was a need to do so. Generally all they provide is the splining necessary to replace the gears.

AA typically uses a shorter than stock shaft with just enough stub thru the rear bearing for a nyloc. I'm not saying it's impossible that the spud shaft you have is an exact replica of a 3 speed tailshaft, but I kind of doubt it. Also, that particular design [spud shaft type] often has a special companion tailshaft that is required to be installed into the transmission, as opposed to cutting the end down off a stock tailshaft. This is something that also needs further investigation.

Hth

Mark A.

Mark I don't know if the tailshaft is from AA but the housing has AA on the other side. I do know that the tailshaft is of the length needed to work the overdrive. It was mated to the transmission when I bought it. The guy really wanted be to buy the transmission too. But I don't run V8s in any of my old cruisers. I also had a SM420 adapter to three speed transfer that had the full tailshaft. That I bought from DannyWarren years ago and sold it a few years later. That shaft along with this one look like a stock tailshaft is cut and welded to the front end. This one is new as far as I know. But SM420 was used and was holding up fine. I don't run any cruiser V8s unless they came from the factory that way. Like I said I not the one to ask a AA adapters, all I can says is this will work with the Fairey Overdrive.

John

syncros for a four speed I am also looking for these. I am going to do Mike Faheys and want to replace them

Here are a couple of pictures of the adapter. AA on one side 1107 on the other. I'm thinking it's for a 350 but I could be wrong. I think the spline count is 55?

John

the adapter there is for a th400 .

aa part # for ordering is 50-1500 (711015) th400 . th350 has 4 mounting bolts on the tranny side

aa part # for ordering is 50-1500 (711015) th400 . th350 has 4 mounting bolts on the tranny side

Thanks the infro. Is that the current part number? I know the newer adapter looks like it has two bearings instead of one and the housing is longer, along with a short spud shaft. This thing I guessing could be twenty years old. The guy I bought it from had a fence yard full of unfisinhed high school shop projects that is was slowly selling off for extra cash. He had is name stamped into both the adapter and the overdrive.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom