Unobtainium (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmmm.......Can you still get the 19100-61080 dizzy? The reason I ask, should anything happen to my TH Dizzy, I was going to purchase the 19100-61080 Toyota points dizzy. But I would remove the points and install the Petronix #91662 kit.

Maybe you can install the Petronix in the 19100-61180 dizzy to make it electronic?

Why no love for points? If that's a drop in OEM replacement I'd keep it exactly how it is.

Why no love for points? If that's a drop in OEM replacement I'd keep it exactly how it is.

My '77 2F ran the points until..........I rebuilt and installed an '86 2F which came with the Big Cap electronic dizzy. I just figured if Toyota wanted the '86 2F to have an electronic dizzy, I'd give it one? :meh:

Hmmm.......Can you still get the 19100-61080 dizzy? The reason I ask, should anything happen to my TH Dizzy, I was going to purchase the 19100-61080 Toyota points dizzy. But I would remove the points and install the Petronix #91662 kit.

Maybe you can install the Petronix in the 19100-61180 dizzy to make it electronic?

Does the 19100-61080 dizzy have those same two plugs?

No the 61080 only has one plug. The other (on the 61180) is maybe an additional ground ? The Capacitor is inside the housing.

I'd be interested in one of the 61180. Is that a small cap or a mid-size cap?

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

I guess there is the bug out argument for points; pulse strike equals no electronic ignition............... Of course my '78 has electronic ignition;):confused:

Does the 19100-61080 dizzy have those same two plugs?

As Spike mentioned, one plug.....The only reason I mentioned the 19100-61080 dizzy and a Petronix kit, when I was asked about a dizzy with my engine installation, I told them I have the electronic TH dizzy. I asked what they typically advise. Typically they get the Non US Toyota points dizzy and install a Petronix kit for customers.....But what do I know, I'm just an Art Vandelay doppelganger.

The 61180 is beautiful. USA got that dissy for 76.5-77 model years, but the vac advancers are dying on them and toyo discontinued the part, now that they're old enough to need replaced.

This would be a drop in for USA 75-77 2F, with the added advantage of converting the 75-76 from vac retard to advance. It would also drop into any earlier engine, though they theoretically should have the tiny 61080 F distributor.

The 61180 can be converted to pertronix electronic, but it takes a weird kit. Mark A knows which one to use for 75-77 dissy.
I think it is possible to drop in the Toyota electronic ignition by changing out the breaker plate and swapping the point cam for a trigger wheel. Haven't done it yet, but that's essentially what Denso did in 1978.

If the vac advancers could be bought from Toyota, it could be used to save a bunch of 75-80 USA dissys that either need swapped from retard to advance, or need a bad advancer replaced.

It's all good!

Count me in as a buyer for the 61180 once you add it to the store. It'll be nice to know I'll get another 40 years out of it once my original 77 distributor dies.

Count me in for a 61180. That should work really well with my igniter set up. Have you looked into the availability of just the advance units? Like FJ40jim I would love to be able save my original distributor

The EPC list the 61180 with something Toyota calls an 'anti-over run' ... So maybe that extra connector is for some kind of rev-limiter ?

Would be nice to have a backup for the 60 series dissy if it fails, and the 61180 could be adapted for Denso electronics.

What an incredible source of information here. Thanks to Jim and everyone. I have 2 units on hand and I will add it to the store later today. It will be priced the same as what you'd pay for a 61080 at an online discounted place ($295).

I will also look into the vacuum advance unit.

It looks like the smaller of the two plugs is identical to the one on the 61080 unit. Any thoughts on what to do with the larger plug? Below is a picture of the TH dizzy, and I see that it has the same black plug.

image-jpg.943082

@Racer65 interesting your TH dizzy has that plug....mine must be an earlier version and doesn't, purchased 9/14 (+/-).

IMG_1678.JPG

If you could source those vacuum advance canisters, I'd be first in line. That way I could revamp my '77 points dizzy as a backup.

My CA spec 8/77 has a different canister with 2 vacuum line ports. I wonder if I can still drop in the 61180 and add a T connector for both vacuum lines? Or is mine different?
IMG_20161019_175306150.jpg

Last edited:
The 61180 will not be smog Compliant for 76 and newer Kalif but would work just fine. Some creative vacuum tube routing might make it look good enough to pass the visual, though.

IPTman, that dissy is both vacuum advance (yay) and vac retard (boo!).
To use the 1977 USA Fed (not Cali) vac advance only dissy, just remove the hose going to vac retard and cap it at the source.

To answer another question above, the extra black plug on some of these dissys is just a ground wire. Just remove it as it is not necessary. The dissy body is in the engine block and there is a steel clamp strangling the dissy & screwed to the block. The thing damn well better be grounded to the block with all that contact.

IPTman, that dissy is both vacuum advance (yay) and vac retard (boo!).
To use the 1977 USA Fed (not Cali) vac advance only dissy, just remove the hose going to vac retard and cap it at the source.

Showing some ignorance here.... which is the retard? Also, should I cap the retard vac line and port on my Cali distributor now?

I updated the later 76 to 77 dizzyFAQ with this new information...
Thanks to Jim C for most of the data on that page, thanks City Racer for the possible new addition to the parts you sell, and thanks Spike Strip for the pic of the 19100-61080.

Mark aka Coolerman

Just a quick update. I am 90% certain a new vacuum advance for the 61180 dizzy can be obtained, and I'll confirm by next week. However, what I'm not sure of is whether it's compatible with your existing dizzy. The part number is 19220-61160. Here's photo grabbed from the internet:

19220-61160.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom