TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today’s progress
Not done but my small welder started straining with the 3/16 plate.
Certainly not finished but good for now.
BFF5BB0C-077C-4952-87FF-F93C0085A3D7.jpeg
6B865EC5-85A8-45BA-AEF9-A7A80C645C83.jpeg
371C6A1D-C49F-4762-A38C-26B94B33B11C.jpeg
7821B131-7E6D-44A8-BEF5-854D65A2F08E.jpeg

nice work Del. I can see you trying to squeeze down big sluice in that rig...

Still struggling with wiring. Made the decision to stay with my harness for now and probably fully rewire in the winter. New fuse block from CityRacer to replace the original (to this harness). I have headlights (high and low) one running light, and one LED tail light, with one that is flashing even though the flasher relays are not even in the truck and the directional circuit is not hooked up.
Slow going, but getting there.
Anyone near Mooresville want to earn some beer and pizza?

Late post but I finished the cruiser about a week and a half ago. Loving it to be in this bad girl again. Going to get an alignment next week to do the caster and to Uwharrie Labor Day weekend. Axle job wasn’t as bad as I thought it was. Just tedious. But we got it done. Dad Also got some new front springs. 3” progressive heavy dobinson springs. Things are huge. Kinda soft in the front though. Need rear springs next. Here’s everybody’s favorite. The pics

Left: 2.5” OME heavy springs. Right New
42AA91FB-9540-46D9-AFCD-6C9487E42D2F.jpeg

094F903A-9BB7-4125-919B-ACC9A47B7F4A.jpeg

F4C79A04-D972-421B-8B59-A6D6136B1A38.jpeg

78A043A2-E265-4940-B644-61CCE77EF435.jpeg

We also got a trailer. Hopefully won’t be used anytime soon :love:
24B6F329-9B90-461D-9937-2307C841CBCE.jpeg

Not sure if this is the right place to ask; let me know and I'm happy to move the question(s). Just bout a '96 FJ80 with a P0402 code:
- I don't have a FSM so this has been via thread searches and YouTube. Is there an online FSM available?
- I used this method (again, not sure if it's right). Pulled a vacuum on the EGR and...
- pinched the 1st hose and engine did not stumble
- pinched the 2nd hose and engine did not die

Does this indicate my EGR is bad? I'm a little weary to replace it since there are three (3) recent instances on the CarFax service history stating the EGR was replaced just before I purchased it. I'm unable to tell from looking at it if it is new or original. Can anyone help??

EGR.JPG

looks like they keep replacing the wrong part, hence the same issue comes back..

hard to tell with out seeing it. have the vacuum hoses been replaced, are they stiff or split on the ends? could they have been replaced with a SAE size hose that is a little loose and leaking instead of the 3.5MM hose that is called for. could be a bad VSV (under the intake)

Not sure if this is the right place to ask; let me know and I'm happy to move the question(s). Just bout a '96 FJ80 with a P0402 code:
- I don't have a FSM so this has been via thread searches and YouTube. Is there an online FSM available?
- I used this method (again, not sure if it's right). Pulled a vacuum on the EGR and...
- pinched the 1st hose and engine did not stumble
- pinched the 2nd hose and engine did not die

Does this indicate my EGR is bad? I'm a little weary to replace it since there are three (3) recent instances on the CarFax service history stating the EGR was replaced just before I purchased it. I'm unable to tell from looking at it if it is new or original. Can anyone help??

View attachment 1978767
Pull the throttle body and make sure it isnt clogged. Here’s a before and after.

E01E3739-ED74-492E-8244-0803D36EB018.jpeg
DF80F15A-6221-4D99-9619-FED9FF5BD01A.jpeg

3DF3B592-1C0E-4DA5-9FEE-5FA157192BDB.jpeg

Thanks you for the suggestions, I will check the hoses and throttle body this weekend and report back. I'm curious though, the P0402 (as I can tell) indicates too much flow (as opposed to the P0401 which is too little). From what I've read, most occurrences are the valve being stuck open or flow when the computer is not expecting it. Would these be leading causes of too much flow from the EGR?

I'll check a little further and post some pics this weekend. THANKS again for all the help!! Much appreciated...

I think I might have some of the resistors in my junk pile to defeat the EGR system on the 1FZ-FE. It can be made to look stock w/ minimal investment of time so no state inspection issues. I always thought my 80 ran stronger w/ EGR disabled, but what do I know...

Thanks for the offer @little_joe! I deleted the EGR on my 2nd Gen 4Runner with this and really couldn't tell a difference before/after. I'm going to try to get it operational as intended but if that proves too difficult/costly, I'll certainly consider the alternative. I had ZERO time to tinker with it this weekend so it will likely be next weekend before I can look at it again.

From a complete stop. If I take off fast enough I can hear a rumble coming from below the passenger seat.
I just checked all my bolts and they are all tight.
I can’t remember when or if I replaced the ujoints in the rear drive shaft.

I did replace the ones on the front drive shaft when I put it in since I bought it used.

The only thing I can think of is that the catalic converters are toast and they are the ones making the rumbling noise.

Or
The roof rack rattles possibly (just reinstalled it yesterday)

Again, it’s only from a complete stop and I have to press the gas pedal pretty good.

It started today.

I had a similar issue with Jolene. Roof rack cross member was a bit loose.

More boost is always good..... esp when it comes to stopping. New seiken booster from cruiseryard.

EE1ABD86-8EB1-4F71-BBF7-EB9C43067B5E.jpeg

And had to replace another y pipe gasket to pass inspection on last day before deadline. Hopefully next time im in here will include new Y, cat, and resonator.

6E3F3DE2-E6B7-43D1-8AD5-59E38C7AF72A.jpeg

sweet

Looks awesome man!! What did you replace with, sheet stock or a stamped replacement panel? Kinda looks like a stamped replacement

Looks awesome man!! What did you replace with, sheet stock or a stamped replacement panel? Kinda looks like a stamped replacement
Thanks! I left as much as the original floor as I could (mostly in the middle) and used 16 ga. sheet for all the rest. The whole underside was replaced from the rockers going in. Rockers replaced with 2x4 rectangle tube. 1/2” angle welded to the inside of the rocker to create a “shelf” for the outer edge of the floor to attach to. Floor support ribs under the sheet are 1.25” C Channel. It ain’t pretty, but I’d say it’s pretty much bomb proof. I created a build thread on the 55 Preservation forum if anybody wants to track my progress: 1971 FJ55, "Bucky"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom