TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_0835.jpg
IMG_0834.jpg
IMG_0832.jpg
IMG_0831.jpg

Well this weekend has led to many NEW projects... Cruiser got hit by something on the driver side, sometime in the last couple days cause it's new, Cruiser also has a bad injector and is running like crap so i gotta do that. THEN 45 minutes ago my dad's truck was backed into...

Have fun sorting that!

Dude's background in accounting and forensics... it's like a vacation for Jon.

Question is, how can I get in on some of this treasure @S4Cruiser ? :)

Just kidding,

not really.

Well ,replaced the hoses on the 73, finally was able to change out the o2 sensors on the lx with the help of a dremel . Been a busy day.

Last edited:

How the hell do you know what bolt goes to what?

Memory?

Pictures?

Some sort of labeling you use?

I would love to fill a bucket of bolts off of my 40 and get them plated but there is no way in hell I would be able to remember what bolt goes where.

How the hell do you know what bolt goes to what?

Memory?

Pictures?

Some sort of labeling you use?

I would love to fill a bucket of bolts off of my 40 and get them plated but there is no way in hell I would be able to remember what bolt goes where.

Pics plus memory plus some luck. The bolts on the older trucks have unique markings on the heads so those are the ones I care the most about. There is also a spreadsheet somewhere that documents the size / length / use that helps too.

I likely won’t use half of these putting my yellow truck back together but I couldn’t bring myself to throw away good old hardware!

Pics plus memory plus some luck. The bolts on the older trucks have unique markings on the heads so those are the ones I care the most about. There is also a spreadsheet somewhere that documents the size / length / use that helps too.

I likely won’t use half of these putting my yellow truck back together but I couldn’t bring myself to throw away good old hardware!

Looks like there's some non OE stuff in there as well? Man, that's about as close to the TEQ original as I've seen - is it that good as I think the pics look? That's a hell of a deal.

Looks like there's some non OE stuff in there as well? Man, that's about as close to the TEQ original as I've seen - is it that good as I think the pics look? That's a hell of a deal.

Definitely some SAE and random stuff in there.

Some of it is super nice but some got tossed. First time having plating done and wasn’t sure how well stuff would clean up.

I would tumble a batch with walnut shells for maybe 24 hours then blow them off with compressed air. That got most of the dirt, grease and rust off but did t take all the paint off all the bolt heads. The plating brings out the imperfections and won’t stick to paint so some don’t look great.

The plating company tumble washes them in a high ph and hot cleaning solution then tumbles them in hydrochloric acid which also aids in rust removal. They then do whatever is required for the zinc plating (ac/dc current s***) and finally add the yellow chromate coloring. I can’t recall if they baked them afterwards or not.

If I had glass beaded each bolt/nut/washer they would’ve come out flawless...but I ain’t got time for all that! Overall they came out better then I anticipated.

@S4Cruiser Jon, try using the little green pyramids in your tumbler with water and some sort of agent to prevent rust. I let them tumble a couple of nights in the shop. I spray it down with light oil until use. You might like that better for plating prep.

Fixed the 80 today with its problems of being down on power and running with a misfire. Did injectors and spark plugs, couple of connectors and its all fixed and running like a champ. For the first time of me doing it i would say it went pretty smooth! Now to wait till the end of August for the 80's annual breaking time before Logan's Run.
IMG_0856.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom