TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

THoff in Raleigh knows those heads well, you just can't be in a rush.

Take it to Dover in Greenville and pay 70ish bucs for them to ship back (plus cost to RnR) and it will be done in a week! I think they were done with @BretwithoneT in like 2 days after I dropped it off.

Or take to thoff, expecting it to take a real long time...then when it takes only 1-2 months your expectations will have been exceeded! Like Johnny mentioned, they do fine work just s l o w.

Last edited:
This past weekend my engine started leaking a decent bit from the water pump. I thought maybe a hose at first but turns out I need a little bit more gasket material between the block and the pump.

A1D8CE02-6C1C-44E6-943E-5CB0AF218320.jpeg
0DDB95EA-10AD-4CEC-9809-A30AED6D9DEA.jpeg

Take it to Dover in Greenville and pay 70ish bucs for them to ship back (plus cost to RnR) and it will be done in a week! I think they were done with @BretwithoneT in like 2 days after I dropped it off.

Or take to thoff, expecting it to take a real long time...then when it takes only 1-2 months your expectations will have been exceeded! Like Johnny mentioned, they do fine work just s l o w.

I called Thoff and asked how much it would be to at least get it checked I figure this could save me the trip and let me know if the head is a good candidate or not. Told me 60 bucks and things were slow right now so he could have an answer by Monday after thanksgiving if I drop of off this next Monday.

Side note...
EF711716-DDF8-4E76-9E32-D7549AECE361.jpeg
image.jpg
22683B8E-49A9-4866-9CE6-81B4022142D9.jpeg

Cleaning up so good I found more goodies... need to learn to weld

That carpet looks nice.

You'll want to put seam sealer on that patch from the outside as well, to keep water from coming in.

That carpet looks nice.

You'll want to put seam sealer on that patch from the outside as well, to keep water from coming in.

Thanks Johnny, and I put that same stuff on the back I’m going to undercoat right there just to double over and make sure it’ll be ok for now.

I hear there was an engine-turned titanium hood prop stick vendor at Expo East. Even says Overallsland on it. Ribbed on 2 sides to double as a maxtrax. But it uses the softest of baby sheep wool and the finest rich corinthian leather for the support ends. Anything less is practically Neanderthal. But I hear they do have one coming out with Neanderthal skin for the most well-heeled of clients. Like @Izzyandsue.

EDIT: Ricardo Montalbán link.

Last edited:
Santa came early on Saturday, well on time at 11am... its the heaviest whitewater kayak I've ever lifted.

20181119_205506.jpg

The enabling is working hard today! Thanks for the code...but I am holding out for a 20% coupon that likely won't hit on cyber Monday.

Also...I see this one from Holley for ~900 but looks to not include the extra gadgets like fuel pump and stuff maybe?

Holley Sniper EFI 550-851 Holley Sniper EFI 2300 Self-Tuning Kit - Classic Gold Finish

Man that’s the color I’m going for! Haha as far the kit from what I read in this thread
1985 FJ60 Gets a Holley Sniper EFI Setup
the stuff it comes with doesn’t seem to work very well and even suggested just get it all separate but not sure the difference between doing it on a 40 vs 60.

Real wrenching note (sorta) OEM gasket kit ordered and the head is finnished with the exception of stem seals and will be picked up Monday! Thanks again to Jon @S4Cruiser for helping me out on this.

Also will be testing to see if my jb weld holds up to the crack gonna start it and see if it leaks!

Man that’s the color I’m going for! Haha as far the kit from what I read in this thread
1985 FJ60 Gets a Holley Sniper EFI Setup
the stuff it comes with doesn’t seem to work very well and even suggested just get it all separate but not sure the difference between doing it on a 40 vs 60.

Real wrenching note (sorta) OEM gasket kit ordered and the head is finnished with the exception of stem seals and will be picked up Monday! Thanks again to Jon @S4Cruiser for helping me out on this.

Also will be testing to see if my jb weld holds up to the crack gonna start it and see if it leaks!

Cool!

Yes, read that thread and noticed folks were running an in tank fuel pump but was 60 specific. I need to do more reading on this stuff before I buy something I might not need or have to sub another part for.

Cool!

Yes, read that thread and noticed folks were running an in tank fuel pump but was 60 specific. I need to do more reading on this stuff before I buy something I might not need or have to sub another part for.

Jon, knowing you the way I do, I'd recommend going ahead and planning on a in-tank solution. It's on my long-term list. External pumps are far less reliable and can be noisy. My $0.02

Jon, knowing you the way I do, I'd recommend going ahead and planning on a in-tank solution. It's on my long-term list. External pumps are far less reliable and can be noisy. My $0.02

I agree with Ramon, Jon. In tank is the way to go.

I have been using setups from Tanks Inc with good luck

This one has a build in baffle tray
High Flow In-Tank Fuel Pump Module - PA-Series

Is there such a thing as a drop in pump for a 40 series tank? My hunch is likely...no. :(

make it, happen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom