TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pretty much anything from the Lawnmower Deth catalog should suffice. they did a version of weebles wobble that will bring a tear to your eye, which may be blood.

Had to fix my screw up from last night skipped the TDC step on the valve adjustment ..... so unfudged my mistake and now all seems good.

Depending on weather I’m hoping to get to the galley plug tomorrow and the recurve for the distributor Thursday or Friday when the party show up.

....found this little guy under the carpet as well.
95272234-95A6-493E-A4BD-6E7B7A275845.jpeg

Tell me about the recurve. Are you doing it yourself or installing a JimC recurved dizzy?

I will be doing it myself based off of what I read from your thread. That’s the hope anyways.

I will be doing it myself based off of what I read from your thread. That’s the hope anyways.
Well damn! Alright then. Let me know how it goes! PM me if you run into any issues.

Well damn! Alright then. Let me know how it goes! PM me if you run into any issues.

Will do I’ll let you know once I’m crying in a corner shouldn’t take to long.

But as far as I can see it’s just the sprink kit and the washer pack was all you needed correct?

Will do I’ll let you know once I’m crying in a corner shouldn’t take to long.

But as far as I can see it’s just the sprink kit and the washer pack was all you needed correct?
You got it.

Soooooooo looks like the P.O. did do a galley plug but also looks like it might be leaking.... jb weld to the rescue?

E3F1915C-9216-43F4-B7DE-991D0960C747.jpeg

3E433B7E-4BB8-4DA8-8B7E-D47461D621B1.jpeg

Well not sure but kinda looks like where you would thread in the set screw the bottom portion has a crack and leaking oil... well actually I’m pretty sure just don’t want to admit that. What do you guys think? Sorry for the poor pictures screenshots from a video
6F70FC59-626C-4FE8-BC68-220A25A9AF40.png

7B935FF6-9F8F-41F0-9775-CFBC72445681.png

Last edited:
Really can't see anything in those pics, but if it is cracked, better start searching for a new head.

Wow. Yeah, that looks like a crack to me. My guess is that the PO used a 1/8" pipe thread and plug to plug that hole, and by tightening it in the hole, caused the crack. That's bad news man. This is why all of the recommended oil galley plug fixes use machine thread plugs, not tapered thread plugs.

I can help braze that back together. Haven't brazed a cast head before, the upside is that it'll be free. Head will have to come off to fix. Might be easier to source a new head, have it checked out and rebuilt, then just swap the head out.

I figured it would be something like that I was all excited to use some of my fancy work stuff to tap a new hole and get it right, maybe I’ll get to on the new head though.

Thanks Johnny i really apprised it and I’ll let you know I’m gonna look around and see what I can find and how much it might be to get it all done this will be the first big motor repair I’ve had to do on a cruiser. So we’ll see how it goes.

This sucks but at he same time I’m pretty stoked on getting he experience and learning alittle more about these trucks.

I figured it would be something like that I was all excited to use some of my fancy work stuff to tap a new hole and get it right, maybe I’ll get to on the new head though.

Thanks Johnny i really apprised it and I’ll let you know I’m gonna look around and see what I can find and how much it might be to get it all done this will be the first big motor repair I’ve had to do on a cruiser. So we’ll see how it goes.

This sucks but at he same time I’m pretty stoked on getting he experience and learning alittle more about these trucks.
Is that a 1F or a 2F? I have a 1F head lying in my garage that could be yours for the low cost of free.

Is that a 1F or a 2F? I have a 1F head lying in my garage that could be yours for the low cost of free.

Hey thanks man I’ll have to look into that I’m not sure but I thought there was a diffence between the two cooling or oil but do you know if it’s an early or late 1f? I’ll do some searching on it

Hey thanks man I’ll have to look into that I’m not sure but I thought there was a diffence between the two cooling or oil but do you know if it’s an early or late 1f? I’ll do some searching on it
The oiling is different between a 1F and a 2F, this is a late 1F. It came out of our '73 so should be the last year before the F.5.

I have a random spare 2f head but no clue if it’s domed or flat piston style. I can check if you’d like - @WhiteTiger911

I want to say there's a serial number on the head that will tell you what year range it came from. If not, then combusion chamber picture will help get us close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom