TTT -- The Tool Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Highs and lows come with life. What tool have you used SUCCESSFULLY to install a lower ball joint on a 100 series? Using the Advance Auto loaner universal ball joint c-clamp and as expected, it is not made to deal with the 555 lower ball joint based on my limited understanding. I can get it started from the bottom but as soon as I try any of the sleeves on the tool, it all goes south.

Highs and lows come with life. What tool have you used SUCCESSFULLY to install a lower ball joint on a 100 series? Using the Advance Auto loaner universal ball joint c-clamp and as expected, it is not made to deal with the 555 lower ball joint based on my limited understanding. I can get it started from the bottom but as soon as I try any of the sleeves on the tool, it all goes south.

Just purchase new lower control arm with ball joint already installed!! Easy peasy...maybe not on the wallet.

Just purchase new lower control arm with ball joint already installed!! Easy peasy...maybe not on the wallet.
Wallet has taken a hit already on the front third member gears. Looking at cheapest way to conserve coin. I am beginning to understand the easy way, never something I have been good at. Ha!!

Was walking around at Lowe’s and noticed that they are now carrying craftsman tools. The new drive ratchets are very nice. The way they are packaged, you can turn them to test how tight they are and it shows u how well they work. Drastic improvement from the old craftsman drive ratchets that I have.
I have always hated the slop in the gearing of my craftsman drive ratchets and have been contemplating getting two nice snap on ratchets in 3/8 and 1/2 sizes.
I think I am just going to get these new craftsmans. I prefer the price of these than the snap on tools and I think they will work for my needs.
Any opinions?

Was walking around at Lowe’s and noticed that they are now carrying craftsman tools. The new drive ratchets are very nice. The way they are packaged, you can turn them to test how tight they are and it shows u how well they work. Drastic improvement from the old craftsman drive ratchets that I have.
I have always hated the slop in the gearing of my craftsman drive ratchets and have been contemplating getting two nice snap on ratchets in 3/8 and 1/2 sizes.
I think I am just going to get these new craftsmans. I prefer the price of these than the snap on tools and I think they will work for my needs.
Any opinions?

I haven't heard any reviews one way or the other since Lowes bought Craftsman. What's the warranty like these days?

They're most likely made in china/taiwan/whatever, but if they feel good and work, who cares!

Craftsman does make a few products in the US but you're probably right, the ratchets are overseas. My Craftsman ratchets are from the early 90's and are in desperate need of replacement. I've also considered pony'ing up for a top-brand ratchet but just haven;' pulled the trigger. I did buy some cheap Harbor Freight ratchets in the interim. I'm been pleased with them for light duty use but can easily see them breaking under extreme use. I asked about the new Craftsman warranty last time I was in Ace Hardware and was told they are still LifeTime guaranteed but don't know if that is REALLY the case. They used to just give out repair kits for broken ratchets... Looking forward to hearing more on the subject here

Ace sells Craftsman too?

I have a number of USA made craftsman tools. The Craftsman Pro line (catalog/online order) is largely made in the US, including ratchets, but they're prohibitively expensive. For in-store warranty claims, if they do exchanges, you'll get a non-usa made equivalent of whatever you're bringing in.

I think you can buy the ratchet repair kits if the store doesn't have them. They're really easy to fix.

Yeah, they are Stanley tools

Any opinions?
Look into the Gearwrench 120XP. I have two of the long handle 1/2" drive ratchets and one long handle 3/8" drive. I absolutely love them.

This swivel head Snap-on ratchet might be my favorite single tool I own. (and I have a lot of tools) (it was a gift)
I'm not a professional mechanic so my Snap-on collection is a little limited. Ratchet handle, wrenches, then screwdrivers are about the extent of it. Mostly Craftsman for the rest.

I'm disappointed that every Craftsman tool I could find in Lowe's was made outside the USA but they did feel pretty solid. I have a few older Craftsman ratchets that I really like and honestly they felt close. (polished and really old professional)
Craftsman was the brand I'd recommend to friends. It was quality with a real lifetime warranty. Then Sears went away. I hope they'll get back to where I trust them that much.

Last edited:
I personally don’t care where they are made and or who makes them. My main concern for wanting a better set of wrenches is the slop in the ratcheting motion.
My current craftsman’s have so much slop that it take a 1/4 then just for the gears to catch. No big deal in the open but def a pain in the butt when your in a tight spot.

The only reason I mentioned the craftsman wrenches at Lowe’s is because I was able to test them and there is a night and day difference between them and the ones I currently own.

Obviously I have no basis for comparison because I have never used a snap on or a gearwrench but I would assume that there is significantly less slop in the gearing since they are more expensive. Especially the snap on.
Being that I am not a pro I don’t need the best wrenches for the most amount of money. Just really looking to improve what I already have.

I am definitely liking the extended 1/2 and 3/8 wrenches from gearwrench that jonathon mentioned. Online it says they sell them at advanced auto. I am going to go over there today and see if I can test one out. If they are as good as the craftsman’s I tested at Lowe’s I will probably give those a try but I will order them from amazon

I personally don’t care where they are made and or who makes them. My main concern for wanting a better set of wrenches is the slop in the ratcheting motion.
My current craftsman’s have so much slop that it take a 1/4 then just for the gears to catch. No big deal in the open but def a pain in the butt when your in a tight spot.

The only reason I mentioned the craftsman wrenches at Lowe’s is because I was able to test them and there is a night and day difference between them and the ones I currently own.

Obviously I have no basis for comparison because I have never used a snap on or a gearwrench but I would assume that there is significantly less slop in the gearing since they are more expensive. Especially the snap on.
Being that I am not a pro I don’t need the best wrenches for the most amount of money. Just really looking to improve what I already have.

I am definitely liking the extended 1/2 and 3/8 wrenches from gearwrench that jonathon mentioned. Online it says they sell them at advanced auto. I am going to go over there today and see if I can test one out. If they are as good as the craftsman’s I tested at Lowe’s I will probably give those a try but I will order them from amazon

About a year ago I purchased 2 snap on ratchets - one 3/8 and one 1/4 drive. They are both the dual drive 80 versions. Night and day difference from the craftsman raised panel ratchets (regardless if they are US or made wherever versions) BUT ironically they don’t feel as smooth as this random 1/4 drive AmPro ratchet I have that was purchased from autozone like 15 years ago. I also have a 1/2 Kobalt ratchet that is super smooth.

I like the gear wrench ratchets and plan to pickup a couple of them eventually. Maybe not the 120xp but the 84 tooth version. The 120xp isn’t ‘technically’ 120 tooth...it’s a 60 tooth gear with double stacked pawls to create a 120 tooth lash feel. They feel smooth for sure but the 84 ones are good too and cheaper...get more ratchets for the same price.

Regardless...almost anything you buy is going to feel so much better then the raised panel craftsman’s.

Most of my tools are kobalt from lowes at this point, but I've been looking more at KD and gearwrench lately with a smattering of HF for flavor.

I have a ton of 90"s era craftsman stuff that rarely gets used anymore, because the box they're in is in the barn and I mostly work in my garage. With new shop I may bring them out of retirement.

Had to make a Lowes trip this weekend so snapped a pic of a random craftsman box. I suppose as long as they keep the lifetime warranty China should not matter but I can say the ratchets don't operate as smoothly as in the old days.

20191026_101425.jpg

lowes will swap out any damaged craftsman hand tool as long as the part numbers are exactly the same.

lowes will swap out any damaged craftsman hand tool as long as the part numbers are exactly the same.

I had a clerk that was a little softer. My part number was NLA so he let me sub.

Good to hear but Lowe’s and Home Depot have about as good customer service as it gets. In all the years I have been buying at either store I have had zero complains about their return policy. Even when I have had to return thousands of dollars of material that I didn’t use.
I’m sure that if I bought any tool there and wasn’t completely satisfied I could get it exchanged or returned for my money back with no issue whatsoever.
And honestly I can’t beat the 10% discount I get at either store. Which is why I was looking at the new craftsman they have at Lowe’s.

I have lots of snap on and love it. However, not being a mechanic anymore, I can't justify the expense.
I really like the Ace brand ratchets, sockets, and wrenches. Look and feel like snap on, but 1/3 the price, or less. I set up my travel toolboxes with them.

And honestly I can’t beat the 10% discount I get at either store.
Yeah, it was nice to tell my dad when I needed something pricey and have him pick it up for me. Went in with my mom for some lights for her house recently and when they asked about military (and they always do around DC) she said "my husband was" and they typed in his number and gave her the discount.

Just curious @SFROMAN do they ask for proof in RDU? It seems 7 out of 10 people near DC are paying with USAA cards so maybe they just rely on the honor system because of volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom