Builds Trapper50's Build Thread - 99 UZJ100 "Penny" (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay, small little project on the passenger headlight assembly mounting tab.

I've seen this fix somewhere here on Mud but I can't remember where so I can't give full credit to whomever I got the idea from.

Parts/Tools:

- High Performance adjustable stick
- Staples from box my new grill was shipped in
- Tube of JB Weld
- Makita LXT Brushless Drill
- Makita Drill Bit
- Sharpie Pen

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

I'll remove the Performance stick after the JB sets up.

If anyone knows where I got this from, throw in a link.

Okay, small little project on the passenger headlight assembly mounting tab.

I've seen this fix somewhere here on Mud but I can't remember where so I can't give full credit to whomever I got the idea from.

Parts/Tools:

- High Performance adjustable stick
- Staples from box my new grill was shipped in
- Tube of JB Weld
- Makita LXT Brushless Drill
- Makita Drill Bit
- Sharpie Pen

View attachment 3444874

View attachment 3444875

View attachment 3444876

View attachment 3444877

View attachment 3444878

View attachment 3444879

View attachment 3444880

I'll remove the Performance stick after the JB sets up.

If anyone knows where I got this from, throw in a link.
Ooo this is great! I need to do this as well. 🍻

Big Weekend - for my temporarily handicapped ass anyway...

Got the roof rack as far back as it would go. These low profile racks are a little difficult to get
the inner rack to foot bolt along with washer and lock washer. But all settled in to it's new location.
Thank you, new Makita hand tool :) (in preparation for RTT install)

And the big day today:
1.25" Spidertrax Spacers on all four corners and
Trail Tailor Extended Swaybar Links all four corners.

The stance is so much better now, especially considering tall/skinny 255/85R16's just get
swallowed up by the wheel well when mounted to AUS OEM Steelies. The spacers just put
the wheels out closer to the edge of the fender and I imagine it will handle a bit better with
the 2.5" wider track...more stable side-to-side.

On to the pics:

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG

IMG_0283.JPG

Last edited:
Truck's looking amazing! I am a fan of Gamiviti rack and love mine for how low profile, strong and versatile it is! @nakman is amazingly helpful and comes up with new stuff for these racks all the time!

Mine is an earlier version and uses standard (SAE) sized hardware, instead of metric ones, which had caught me off guard a few times. Is the hardware metric now?

Truck's looking amazing! I am a fan of Gamiviti rack and love mine for how low profile, strong and versatile it is! @nakman is amazingly helpful and comes up with new stuff for these racks all the time!

Mine is an earlier version and uses standard (SAE) sized hardware, instead of metric ones, which had caught me off guard a few times. Is the hardware metric now?

Thanks! I think it looks pretty sharp as well. :)

Yup, metric - at least the hardware that was on there was. I can't speak to whether or not it's what came with the rack but I imagine so.

Quick question to my thread checkers, I'm also looking into it myself....

I'm feeling very slight, no uniform pulses in my brake pedal sometimes.

Is that cause for concern? Is it a side effect of the electronic booster?

Anyone experienced the same?

I readily admit that I sometimes overreact to the smallest perceived output or noise.

Quick question to my thread checkers, I'm also looking into it myself....

I'm feeling very slight, no uniform pulses in my brake pedal sometimes.

Is that cause for concern? Is it a side effect of the electronic booster?

Anyone experienced the same?

I readily admit that I sometimes overreact to the smallest perceived output or noise.

Can you say a little more? Want to see if I ever experienced it and is so, when/long.

Can you say a little more? Want to see if I ever experienced it and is so, when/long.
Well, I mean...it's what I said. Very small, non-uniform pulses in the brake pedal when applying the brakes. Like ABS pulse, but WAY smaller and not perfectly timed. They are very minute. And I've never driven a truck that has electronic brake booster rather than vacuum boosted so I'm not familiar with whether that is an attribute of that different system. I'm also way more perceptive of these things sometimes vs. the average driver. Same with noises. It doesn't ever feel like the brakes aren't working, just a little unnerving to feel a small pulse in a pedal I'm not used to feeling that in.

I will say that, in general, it's harder for me to modulate these brakes than others...like harder to vary between lots of braking power and a little braking power...when, for instance, coming up on a red light. They work fine but they are harder to "evenly let up on" when getting close to stationary.

I had a similar issue, but heavier pulsation than it sounds like you have. Mine went away when I repacked my wheel bearings and replaced front rotor and pads.

Interesting, Thanks! I wonder if the ABS sensors are just recognizing some little discrepancy and partially activating.

Interesting, Thanks! I wonder if the ABS sensors are just recognizing some little discrepancy and partially activating.
That's certainly possible. I wish I knew what was actually happening to mine to help draw a more accurate conclusion. I can't actually tell you what part(s) of that fix actually worked or why. All I know is that my brakes now feel normal.

I want to say it is not your ABS at all. I'd suspect either slightly loose front wheel bearings or slightly warped rotors or slightly poorer quality brake pads.
Of these three, the wheel bearings are easiest to test, lift up one corner at a time, grab at 12 and 6 o'clock and jiggle. If there is any play at all, that's coming from your bearings!

@ClassyJalopy

Yup, VERY familiar with that test, although not on IFS. I have to replace a corroded brake line bracket on Passenger side front, so I'll do it then. Parts inbound.

You know, now that you mention it...a couple weeks ago, the front brakes were building up enough glaze to start squealing and that has sense ceased, I wonder if it what I'm experiencing is "partial glazing" of the front pads where they are grabbing un-uniformly...

How are you liking the 255/85/16 Falken mt's and what's the overall height of them mounted?

I like them...I'm a big fan of tall/skinny tires. They are a bit noisy.
I bought the truck with them already on there and the rims are OEM steelies so they were fairly "inboard"
as far as offset is concerned so the truck was a little tipsy side-to-side until I put spacers on, now the
whole set-up feels fantastic. They are probably 85-90% tread depth and are just under 33" from ground
to top...that's with a little flex to the sidewall under weight/load.

We'll see how they do in the snow...MT's aren't really optimized for that but I've heard they do above
average in those conditions.

My next set of tires will probably be Cooper ST Maxx AT's but I will stick with the 255/85r16 size
unless someone actually releases a 34x10.5 then I will get those in any rim size and get steelies to match.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom