Transmission oil analysis and particle counts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long post so take a pee, clean the sand out of your eyes, get something non-alcoholic to drink, get in a comfortable chair.

My goal is not to convince people of the "best" way to change your transmsision fluid, just wanted to share my results and thoughts based on the data.

About a year ago I started a little experiment by doing serial drain
and fills of the transmission fluid of a then new-to-me 97 FZJ80 with 200,000 miles on the clock. It still had it's original 20 year old transmission fluid which had not been touched until I did the first drain and fill.

The first sample of original 20 year old fluid had about 50-100 times the wear metals normally found in a new transmission along wtih some large particles (20-70 microns), the sizes that can cause damage.

The results I got showed it took 7-8 drain and fills (A343F) to get the wear metals back to normal. However the second sample, after the first drain and fill, showed an increase in the particle counts, which demonstrated that just adding some fresh ATF stirred up/released particles into the fluid. Those particle levels slowly decreased along with wear metals with each successive drain and fill.

The particle counts then dropped significantly after adding a cooler line
auxiliary filter; the first post-filter test was done after ~1200 miles.

Based on those results it appears like a good idea when changing your transmission fluid is to first drop the pan before touching anything else to clean the sediment out of the pan, whether it's just a drain and fill or a complete fluid exchange. Even dropping the pan however will not get all the particles as some of them may come from inside the transmission as the new fluid releases them back into suspension, but it's a good start to drop and clean the pan first.

Summary of what I learned by doing this serial drain and fill experiment:

1) Best to drop the pan and clean it before doing anything with the fluid

2) Install an inline filter before doing anything with the fluid, (into the OUT cooler line to catch it before it gets into the coolers where it can be trapped and then released later back into the transmission) and definitely if not cleaning the pan first

3) Doing a complete fluid exchange would be the most efficient method of replacing all your transmission fluid, but the pan should still be dropped and cleaned first, otherwise those particles will be sucked up into the transmission during the fluid exchange process.

4) An inline filter should also be installed before starting the process of a complete fluid exchange and left in place to catch particles that will be released by the new fluid

Having said all that, guessing 95% of Mud 80 owners never drop their transmission pans including me, our transmission aren't failing very often.

But knowing that the particle counts do go up after any change of fluid, it would seem prudent to add an inline filter before stirring up things. IMHO.

One last bit of info: we all have probably noticed when we check our ATF levels there are two parallel dark lines on the rag/paper towel (check yours if you haven't noticed). To try to determine if those marks were metallic particles I magnetized the last few inches of my transmission dipstick, then checked it again after a few days; those two parallel dark lines became much more prominent.

And then, not long after I installed an inline transmission filter, those dark lines of magnetic (ferrous) particles began to get lighter when checking the ATF level on the dipstick. This coincided with the results of my ATF oil sample particle counts, they dropped significantly after adding the inline filter.

Before installing a new OEM radiator in the 97 model I also flushed the Auxiliary transmission cooler with Kooler Kleen to remove any particles
that had accumulated over the past 20 years.

Magnefine filter:

Amazon product ASIN B0787KWZPS
The NTF filter may filter out a bit more (smaller micron) than the Magnefine above, but both have a magnet to catch the most damaging ferrous particles

FWIW

Last edited:
Reserved for images

Reserved for images

Interesting. I have been considering dropping the pan on mine as it has never been done. I have done a couple fluid exchanges, but would still like peace of mind that my pan is clean. I like the idea of an additional filter too, although I would probably just run it during the "after fluid exchange" period for a week or two.

Also, while I am waiting for you to finish the next two posts, I assume you did a Blackstone report? I plan to do a Blackstone on on my ATF around May, just before a 3000mi trip.

Thanks for digging into this.

Yes, I've done half a dozen Blackstone reports during this little experiment.
Just one drain and fill stirs up particles for sure, adding a transmission cleaning product (LubeGard, yes I did) which released more (smaller) particles again. Serial drains and fills drops particle counts and wear metal levels as would be expected.

And finally by adding the inline filter the particle counts drop significantly more, which is why it appears prudent to add the filter at the very beginning, before those particles are released and/or stirred up.

I had the same thought (as LC4 LIFE) initially, run the filter for a short period then remove it. Having said that the NTF filter is supposed to provide plenty of flow and has a bypass valve in the event it got plugged. I haven't noticed any change in the way the transmission shifts since installing the filter, so may just keep it in place. Haven't made a firm decision yet, but the filter is designed to be left in place until changed. IIRC the manufacturer recommend changing it ~ 25,000 miles.

But in case I decided to remove the filter permanently in the future, instead of cutting the original flexible line I found a couple of 3/8" Power Steering return hoses that had a formed angle in them (to prevent kinking bulk hose) then cut them to fit.

It has taken more than a few months and a few thousand miles for
the marks on a white paper towel from the dipstick to disappear (poor man's particle count by eyeball method). I was surprised it took that long, assuming that the filter would clean everything up faster than that, so maybe particles are being continually released back into the fluid by the cleaning action of the new fluid?? I doubt there is anything wrong with the transmission (increased wear) but I'll have more data soon.

Once the weather gets a bit better I plan on sending another sample off to
Blackstone to check the wear metal levels and particle counts which would would be around 5000 miles since the last drain and fill and since installing the inline filter.

Last edited:
Interesting experiment. Pan drop is my first recommendation to anyone I talk to regardless of manufacture. Most manufactures know they are in it for the warranty periods and trans last 100k+. Had done it to many 80 series, gmc, Chevy products, getting ready to do it to my new to me 100 series 250k. As well as my wife’s 120k highlander. Before we sell it for a sienna minivan.

flush is bad, indifferent on the in-line filter I feel like a condition with it clogged/low flow could be bad it needs a bypass like the engine oil system

Tagging in with what scottryana said, I had also put a strong neodynium magnet on the drain plug hex (outside), figured next time I drain the pan any ferrous particles not grabbed by the filter (which has a magnet inside) will come out with the plug. I also wondered about the strength of the magnet
inside the filter; it is very likely not a neodynium magnet as it didn't seem
super strong (putting a metal object close to the filter), but likely good enough for it's purpose. Maybe the next generation of inline filters should
include a stronger magnet?? (I'll write to the company that makes them and ask)

The NTF filter does have a bypass function but I can't see it getting plugged unless the transmission was coming apart. That concern (a plugged filter) could be another reason to drop the pan first to remove the bulk of the particles, or change the filter soon after the initial clean-up period (?5000 miles).

Last edited:
For high mileage transmissions (A343F) if you drop the pan, you might consider increasing the line pressure while you're right there at the Valve Body. No special tools needed....just set the adjustment.

LC trans adj1.jpg

LC trans adj2.jpg

Thank you for this. Very helpful!

I put some extra large super heavy duty neodymium magnets on my pan when I dropped my pan for my shift kit. There were easily 15x stronger than what was in there.

Curious if you have a link on the magnets. I will be doing this soonish. I see the adhesive backed disks out there, but curious about what you or @Kernal used exactly.

Thanks,

This is what I used. I actually just put them on the outside of the trans pan....

Curious if you have a link on the magnets. I will be doing this soonish. I see the adhesive backed disks out there, but curious about what you or @Kernal used exactly.

Thanks,

I just grabbed a few disc neodynium magnets from Home Depot (see link) and placed two on the head of the drain plug. I figured the magnet inside the inline filter would clean up most of the magnetic (ferrous) particles, and the filter media would get the rest. I use these same magnets on my oil filter and diff drain plugs to boost that magnet a bit.

If you wanted to get deep into it, neodynium magnets lose some of their
strength when hot, not sure if it makes that much difference in this application. I couldn't find a temp spec on the Home Depot magnets, but
then sitting outside any of the pans or gear boxes they won't get very warm.

Last edited:
For the laymen... This adjustment improves shifting firmnesss, correct?

Correct. It increases line pressure across the entire spectrum. It isn't dramatic...but higher mileage transmissions might benefit from it. Shifts are simply a little firmer and quicker (less wear on already worn friction discs and steels). No tools necessary to accomplish (A343f trans). Just push the cap of the valve inward, move the flat retainer up, rotate the dial, move the retainer back down and let go of the cap. All done by hand in 5 seconds.

What a nice write up on transmission. Have the A343F tranny in 97 FZJ80.
Have been getting solenoid code PO 750 A in Engine Check light. Last summer fixed the wires at back of Driver/Tranny that had frayed from doing Head gasket and my struggle with clips.
Question: Common thing to other ih8mud members for this code PO 750 A?
Currently 286k miles.
Solenoid is electronic and imagine fluid with particles may not effect solenoid.
I could certainly be wrong though. Will drive until code comes on consistenly or stops shifting.
Thanks ih8mud members. Still a newbie.

I put a Magnefine filter on the cooler outlet using a small extra piece of hose. I had to bend out the nipple on the cooler a little and it is a tight fit but it works.
20200609_221652.jpg

My transmission shed a ton of metal and eventually failed. The filter caught a bunch:
20200610_213755.jpg

I have a different transmission now and just put on a new filter. Hopefully it will clean up anything remaining.

Last edited:
I put a Magnefine filter on the cooler outlet using a small extra piece of hose. I had to bend out the nipple on the cooler a little and it is a tight fit but it works.
View attachment 2336212
My transmission shed a ton of metal and eventually failed. The filter caught a bunch:
View attachment 2336216
I have a different transmission now and just put on a new filter. Hopefully it will clean up anything remaining.

If you still have it or remember from when you looked at it, did the magnefine filter have a bypass like the NTF?
Their price is nice, and NTF does not seem very friendly towards consumer business. (they do not list anything about any of their products, it's all just "contact us")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom