Trail Gear 3:11 low range TC gears, $600 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a gears group buy for Nitro 4.88/5.29s a long while ago.....i think it would be best if someone who knew or was in close proximity to Marlin to head this up.

Im sure someone on here knows Marlin and might be able to smooth this over if there were a good 20-25+ buyers. And maybe even host an "install" session for all the California guys to go watch/learn and walk thru the swap alltogether. that would be cool.
I live about 40 minutes South of Fresno. Usually go up there every other week or so. I might be able to get in touch. I'm hitting up the Central Valley Crawlers to see if there's an in right now. I'll let you know.

sweet- At the end of the day- a simple 15-20% price break on the marlin gears would likely attract alot of business for him that otherwise is sitting on the sidelines waiting for a guinea pig or two to run the trail gear-cheapo option and see if its a viable cheap alternative.

but we really need to start a thread to just see interested numbers in the Marlin gears at $600? (25% off $799)

I will start it up at this hypothetical price point just to see what kind of purchasing power/ interested wallets we can get in another thread.

the more I think the TG set is better quality than originally thought.

If you buy into the hive mind mentality, then Trail Gear is the worst company in the world and your truck will fall apart if you use their parts. Or you could you know, take a common sense approach. Look at real world results. Like I've said many times, I've personally wheeled with guys that have their whole trucks built with TG parts. Suspension, wheels, drivetrain, you name it. They will the piss outta these trucks, certainly more than the Starbucks 4x4 clubs on this site and they do just fine.

If you ask me I think the issue is guys can't handle the fact that parts for their exotic handmade trucks now cost the same as parts for a mini truck or old 4Runner. How dare they insult our trucks like that!

sweet- At the end of the day- a simple 15-20% price break on the marlin gears would likely attract alot of business for him that otherwise is sitting on the sidelines waiting for a guinea pig or two to run the trail gear-cheapo option and see if its a viable cheap alternative.

but we really need to start a thread to just see interested numbers in the Marlin gears at $600? (25% off $799)

I will start it up at this hypothetical price point just to see what kind of purchasing power/ interested wallets we can get in another thread.

I think there's been a few group buy attempts in the past, they've always declined. I honestly think TG is selling these at a loss in an effort to gain more of the 80s market because I don't see the volume of these sales being enough to bring their costs down that much. And being a big corporation, I think they can afford to do so.

And gotta say, Delancy freakin' called it back in August 2013 ha!

Mark my words. Trail Gear, or similar, will produce a gear set for $400 then everyone will bitch about how bad they suck when they start blowing up.

any idea how many people were interested in previous group buy threads?

I don't think it ever got that far. Folks have contacted Marlin to see if they would and how many people would be needed but it was always a no-go.

I would stop hanging around the Cannabis Club on Friday nights

And gotta say, Delancy freakin' called it back in August 2013 ha!

@Delancey is the Nostradamus or Harold Camping of the landcruiser world !!!! (not sure which ) :)

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I think if Marlin sees the TG option........coupled with a verified # of interested parties.......lets say 25 or so.......it might be more of a no-brainer for him to just "bank some profits" vs letting those 25 or so wait around to see TG people possibly having some success and scouping up customers at an increasing rate.

imho- going with 25 verified customers may yield different results if its a slam dunk sized profit and support of his business.

I think if Marlin sees the TG option........coupled with a verified # of interested parties.......lets say 25 or so.......it might be more of a no-brainer for him to just "bank some profits" vs letting those 25 or so wait around to see TG people possibly having some success and scouping up customers at an increasing rate.

imho- going with 25 verified customers may yield different results if its a slam dunk sized profit and support of his business.

Exactly, unfortunately some small business owners don't seem to get it. Some of them seem to be incapable of change even in face of intense competition.

Once jcardona beat the snot out of the TG gear I bet the TG bandwagon will get pretty crowded. Given its not a wear item for most people once the sale is lost its lost for good. Hope Marlin folks will wake up and smell the competition because at some point even us Marlin supporters might waver because jcardona could prove our loyalty isn't completely correct. The biggest reason lot of us haven't pull the trigger is the price!

@Delancy (nostradamus) is already predicting tons of trashed tcases with holes in them from TG gear explosions........and is as we speak hoarding all used tcases across the U.S. and Australia.

I have nothing of significance to offer this thread but then again after glancing over the last three pages it seems this has just become a vendor bash...

Good bad or indifferent has yet to be seen, but these types of attitudes are exactly the reason some vendors just steer away from our platform.

So thank you, cause I hate forward thinking and progression!

Think about it... Even if these turn out to be trash, it still moves us as a community down the road and opens the market.

-A

Last edited:

I think you're missing a few important points. 1) marlin was sold out of these gears until 3 weeks or so ago, so apparently the market is there. 2) I think you're assuming marlins margin is high. Typically, rule of thumb is to shoot for 20%. Could be more, could be less. But you should know asking for 25% may actually cost him money.

Personally, I don't think marlin sells them at $800 because he can, I think he sells them at his cost plus some desired margin. Which may leave him with a little wiggle room, but not a ton. Just another point of view. Good luck with the group buy.

iirc Marlin has done some sales @ 20% off.......whether that was to clear out some inventory- boost monthly or quarterly sales a tad, or just free up some cash....... who knows.

But if he was able to do it then........id imagine with 25buyers - the incentive would be there- and quite possibly the profit ( however small) if its x25.......it may be attractive enough if its a simple all in one shot order. one shipping etc.

who knows. worth a try........and may be a way to support Marlin and steer some folks away from Chineseium and toward a U.S. vendor with a proven high quality product who may develop more 80 products.

I dont disagree with what youve said- and dont know Marlins take......but simply may be able to encourage some people toward his product vs TG chinesium.....ultimately he can/ will make the decision which is fine by me either way.

Last edited:
who knows. worth a try........and may be a way to support Marlin and steer some folks away from Chineseium and toward a U.S. vendor with a proven high quality product who may develop more 80 products.

......but simply may be able to encourage some people toward his product vs TG chinesium.....

I think it is hilarious you keep knocking TG. TG is an American company. Marlin is an American country. They both source (most likely, we still don't know where the TG gears are cut or the source of their steel) from overseas. Wouldn't buying from either one of them be buying from a US company? and don't both of them develop "80 products?" Many high quality products come from china (or insert the country you are choosing to be inferior). many crappy products come from Japan. At least try to be a little bit objective.

What 80 product has trail gear pioneered/developed??

I think it is hilarious you keep knocking TG. TG is an American company. Marlin is an American country. They both source (most likely, we still don't know where the TG gears are cut or the source of their steel) from overseas. Wouldn't buying from either one of them be buying from a US company? and don't both of them develop "80 products?" Many high quality products come from china (or insert the country you are choosing to be inferior). many crappy products come from Japan. At least try to be a little bit objective.

What has marlin developed for the 80? did he pioneer the low gears? or did mark's? did he pioneer the hi steer kit he sells? I'll give you the ecoseal, but i opted for oe. I'm sure Marlin is an upstanding vendor. And he produces quality stuff. The however doesn't mean others can't also do it and if at a lower price are crappy.

we all get different things from different vendors. spend your money as you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom