Trading a 99 Land cruiser with 100k miles for a 1971 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m trading an excellent condtion stock 99 Land cruiser with 100k miles for a 95% stock 1971 fj40. I’ve never owned a 40 but have always wanted one to tool around town in and maybe hit some local hills. The owner claims to replaced the old engine with a 1974 i6 F with 64k original miles. There are a few small patches of rust. Seems fine otherwise. Does this seem like a good trade?

19ED34CC-CFB3-40DF-8100-8E9A2B8E5FBA.jpeg

906E6BF3-E685-479E-B61C-7995F2ED9190.jpeg

6541E3C6-5E75-447E-90DC-483CEB6D5860.jpeg

I’m trading an excellent condtion stock 99 Land cruiser with 100k miles for a 95% stock 1971 fj40. I’ve never owned a 40 but have always wanted one to tool around town in and maybe hit some local hills. The owner claims to replaced the old engine with a 1974 i6 F with 64k original miles. There are a few small patches of rust. Seems fine otherwise. Does this seem like a good trade?
Post some pics of both trucks. If both of you are happy sounds like a good deal.

Sounds like you're trading in the right direction ;). Value is, of course, dependent on condition. Overall, I would say an FJ40, in very good to excellent condition is likely hold its value longer than a 80 or 100 series.

Anything I should look out for aside from rust?

Rust is probably the most expensive problem to deal with. Other than that, as long as it is safe to drive (brakes, steering, and tires are good, lights all work), then just drive it, get to know it, and work on the things that come up or that you want to improve over time.

Aside from rust?

Rust.
Crack in the frame at the front of the rear spring perch.
Rust.

If you stay on the shoulder. :rofl:

Or, if you're not in a big hurry. But seriously, as long as you allow for the fact it's not a sports car, you'll be fine. Lots of 40 owners love to drive their Cruisers every day.

Looks just like my stock 71 as well. Check for Bondo/filler by running a magnet along the body. If the magnet sticks, you're good. If the magnet doesn't hold, then you got some bondo filling in some of the panel work. Make sure to check underneath the floor Mats. Other than that, it looks clean. Mine ran pretty crappy its first few months, but with a little bit of time, it began running like a top. I never even got to test drive mine before handing over the cash. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Their is a lot of stuff you should check b4 u drive it too far. The tcase doesn't hold much oil, so make sure it's not leaking. Check all the fluids. Remove the drums and check the brakes. Check for undercarriage and frame rust. Check for play in the rods and wheel bearings. Lube tie rods and drive shafts.

Keep in mind it is 48 years old; everything needs to be checked and re-checked. They are fine trucks and the folks here on the 40 forum can attest to the toughness of their trucks. As another poster said, drive it and become accustomed to its sounds. Fix what needs to be fixed then look into the modifications that will make it yours. Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom