TLC 80 series in 1/18 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can't vouch for the quality but it looks fairly decent.

I just ordered one of these while bored recovering from a minor surgery this week. Will let you know how it is! I'm no high level hobbyist, but I loved my rc car collection as a kid

I have the FMS one. Apparently there are even cheaper versions of varying quality. I can say the FMS one is pretty well built and capable. The weight and balance are a little off (it likes to roll on its side) but I think some wheel weights will fix that. Also could use new springs and shocks as the ones on it are very bouncy. Is it a an axial or traxxas? No, but for $180 it's a heck of a lot of fun.

One note, the battery is very easy to kill in these. I accidently forgot to disconnect it one day and went back about a week later and it was toast, would not take a charge at all. Luckily they are like $6 on ebay to replace. Just try to remember to unplug it every time you stop using for the day. One positive on the battery is that the manual says 30 minute run time but I've gone nearly an hour on one battery.

WPL makes an 80 Series as well, the C54 I think it's called, or C55. I think those are under $100. I have the C24 (Hilux) and it's been a fun truck. I have a lot of upgrades on it and I'm under $200.

I forgot to respond! The quality is really nice on this rig. The body and suspension etc are all really well made, tight clearances, nice solid materials etc. I haven't had RC cars since my childhood, but id highly recommended the truck to any 80 series owners that like a fun hobby toy. It even has neat headlight, fogs, reverse lights etc controlled by different settings. I have a kiddo on the way and hope to play with it with them at some point. Have to keep them in the LC family haha. Its perfect size to even drive through the house when bored! (I live in a modest 3br and it works well indoors).

I just picked one of these up during a black Friday sale. It's pretty neat. This is my first RC. Does anyone know if there are accessories available for this? I would like different tires, maybe 1 size larger, with a Swamper pattern. It is also a bit top heavy. What do folks do to add weight to the chassis?
20221121_173201.jpg

I just picked one of these up during a black Friday sale. It's pretty neat. This is my first RC. Does anyone know if there are accessories available for this? I would like different tires, maybe 1 size larger, with a Swamper pattern. It is also a bit top heavy. What do folks do to add weight to the chassis?View attachment 3175061
Is that the WPL? If so, there's a lot you can do. If not ignore everything I wrote below.

For weight, you can replace the plastic linkages with metal. You can also get metal wheels.

You can find other tires on the official WPL site and Banggood. And yes, shipping from Banggood (China) can take a while, but that's really the biggest source of aftermarket parts.

You can also use a set of axles from the MN D90 RC truck (Land Rover Defender clone). They are heavier and wider than the WPL. The aftermarket has larger wheels and different tire selection. There are some slight modifications required to go that route but I forget what they are.

Do a google search for "WPL C-54 Build" and start looking at forums where folks document their builds. I have the C-24 (mini truck) and it's also my first RC crawler - and lots of fun.

I just picked one of these up during a black Friday sale. It's pretty neat. This is my first RC. Does anyone know if there are accessories available for this? I would like different tires, maybe 1 size larger, with a Swamper pattern. It is also a bit top heavy. What do folks do to add weight to the chassis?View attachment 3175061
Got a link to the sale?

Got a link to the sale?
I bought it from
They were running a sale, but apparently no longer. They were doing a 20% off last week.

Is that the WPL? If so, there's a lot you can do. If not ignore everything I wrote below.
WPL does not list the truck under the RTR section, so I'm pretty sure it's not.

Stopped by a local RC hobby shop and found out they're an FMS dealer. Less expensive than what I paid on sale. Found tires that fit the beadlock rims in a Interco Bogger pattern. Very soft and sticky. I was looking for a Swamper TSL/SX but they didn't have it in stock. Picked up 4 tires for just under $20. Just lightly less expensive than the real thing.
RC4WD part# Z-T0199
I removed a stabilizer bar that now allows full compression on the passenger front. I epoxied flat fishing weights above the rear axle (2.5 oz) and another 1.25 oz under the hood. This seems to be a good match for the springs and give less of a "toy" feel to the truck.

Poser shots. Sorry, my camera was crooked.

Beadlocks.jpg

Climbing the wall.jpg

^ooh nice!

Bought myself one of these 80-series for my Xmas present - it's so awesome! Wasn't expecting it to actually be licensed by Toyota, which is awesome, I thought it was going to say "Katana" all over everything. Now I can micro-crawl with my kids and their SCX24s!

Anyways, I was originally going to buy the knock-off Patriot because it was cheaper -- but then found them on FairRC for the same price, so I bought the FMS version with the extra battery. I double checked and saw the price is still $140. Also saw there's an 1/12 scale FJ45....

^ooh nice!

Bought myself one of these 80-series for my Xmas present - it's so awesome! Wasn't expecting it to actually be licensed by Toyota, which is awesome, I thought it was going to say "Katana" all over everything. Now I can micro-crawl with my kids and their SCX24s!

Anyways, I was originally going to buy the knock-off Patriot because it was cheaper -- but then found them on FairRC for the same price, so I bought the FMS version with the extra battery. I double checked and saw the price is still $140. Also saw there's an 1/12 scale FJ45....
Now you've gone and done it! I have a 45 on the way!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom