Builds The Warthog v4.4 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s funny to see that shiny cop motor inside this nasty slob

View attachment 2191269
This might be a dumb question, but what makes it a cop motor? Every time you refer to it as a cop motor, I think of the Caprice cop car in Black sheep. :rofl:
i062073.jpg

This might be a dumb question, but what makes it a cop motor? Every time you refer to it as a cop motor, I think of the Caprice cop car in Black sheep. :rofl:
View attachment 2191340

Well you are a generation off from me because you don’t get the Blues Brothers reference and I’ve never heard of Blacksheep

Well you are a generation off from me because you don’t get the Blues Brothers reference and I’ve never heard of Blacksheep

This must be the case lol. Well, I've almost finished all of the Terentino films, and I'll add Blues Brothers to my list. I don't like missing pop-culture references.

What really happened was that officer pulled Mr. Grogan over, on the afternoon of the 23rd, because when not in uniform, he actually is knee-deep building a couple of Land Cruisers in his garage - both equipped with H55s, split-cases, 4.11 gears, tall skinnies on stock steel, and the finest straight-6 gas engines Toyota ever built, under the hoods of a FJ55 and a FJ45LV appropriately.

wngrog, love your patina & rebuild threads. Fine photography. Regarding exhaust manifolds and the peeling paint problem (post #93 - yeah, I'm catching up), I've been curious about Calyx. On a rebuild or where the manifold(s) are otherwise out, sure, ceramic is probably tops. But for a lo-buck or assembled engine, Calyx might be a decent option.

wngrog, love your patina & rebuild threads. Fine photography. Regarding exhaust manifolds and the peeling paint problem (post #93 - yeah, I'm catching up), I've been curious about Calyx. On a rebuild or where the manifold(s) are otherwise out, sure, ceramic is probably tops. But for a lo-buck or assembled engine, Calyx might be a decent option.

Cool find! I don’t keep many manifolds these days but that looks like an awesome find.

I've been curious about Calyx.

10-15 years ago I did the Calyx treatment after sandblasting and planing my manifolds. Found it quicker and easier to just do both manifolds but afterwards wished I hadn't put it on the intake. Didn't hurt it but the darker color didn't look as good as the bright clean aluminum. But anyway, on the exhaust, it didn't seem to last very long. Maybe I should have retreated the exhaust now and then but it didn't seem to take long and rust started to come through and finally, I had a plain old rusty manifold like it was never treated.
Roughly 6 months ago I had the manifolds sandblasted again and treated them with Eastwood's "High Temp Coating". Comes in spray or quart, I chose to brush it on. They suggest the foam brushes but I quickly tossed them and went to disposable paint brushes and those little soldering acid flux brushes for the hard to reach crevices. I applied 3 coats, with them hanging over cardboard as it's kind of watery. Tried doing the exhaust only but quickly gave up and just did them both and I'm good with the look. So far, I like it better than the Calyx but I only have 3 or 4 weekend trail trips on it and some hours of Sniper test and tune at home. It's looking great and is dry to the touch. We'll have to wait & see how it's looking in a few years.

10-15 years ago I did the Calyx treatment after sandblasting and planing my manifolds. Found it quicker and easier to just do both manifolds but afterwards wished I hadn't put it on the intake. Didn't hurt it but the darker color didn't look as good as the bright clean aluminum. But anyway, on the exhaust, it didn't seem to last very long. Maybe I should have retreated the exhaust now and then but it didn't seem to take long and rust started to come through and finally, I had a plain old rusty manifold like it was never treated.
Roughly 6 months ago I had the manifolds sandblasted again and treated them with Eastwood's "High Temp Coating". Comes in spray or quart, I chose to brush it on. They suggest the foam brushes but I quickly tossed them and went to disposable paint brushes and those little soldering acid flux brushes for the hard to reach crevices. I applied 3 coats, with them hanging over cardboard as it's kind of watery. Tried doing the exhaust only but quickly gave up and just did them both and I'm good with the look. So far, I like it better than the Calyx but I only have 3 or 4 weekend trail trips on it and some hours of Sniper test and tune at home. It's looking great and is dry to the touch. We'll have to wait & see how it's looking in a few years.
I used that on my Chevelle manifolds, didn't last real long but was super easy to just brush more on so there's that. I still have some now that I think of it. The brush on stuff goes a long way.

Steamer, Dogfishlake, thanks for the voices of experience. And now back to our regularly scheduled programming. Wngrog?

Nothing new to report here

EEE7EC26-41B0-4545-A624-73419F271DB3.jpeg

Funny story on this photo.

I really did not get pulled over for 87 in a 70 but this young cop keyed in my plate as he was behind my 55 at a light.

He pulled up behind me at the gas station and said my tag did not come back correctly. Never said what it came back as

I whipped out the proof of insurance and he was happy and I asked him what the tag came back as. He would not tell me for some reason so I assumed he just did not know a 55 was a Land Cruiser and he was embarrassed so he did not want to say.

Fast forward a month or so and I agreed to let a friend of mine who may or may not look like a terrorist drive my truck next month to the Roundup in Texas.

I dropped By the DMV and got my official tag number and came home and sure enough, it was not this tag. I looked on my wall of tags and there it was. Hung with all the rest of my old stuff

66EC4DBD-BE45-4034-81FB-EC39C6050C26.jpeg

Do you have exclusively Larry David reaction images saved to your computer?

Wilson and I are watching CYE right now and whenever LD has a great face I’m taking pics to use on MUD since everyone gets butthurt when I call them out on their BS.

Moving forward I’m only posting in part numbers or LD face shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom