Builds The "Red Rocket" Troopy (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like you're planning Interstate 15 from Los Angeles to Las Vegas? I dunno, I haven't been on that road for a while, but from what I recall, folks drive really, really fast there. Might not be optimal for a 3B Troopy. Maybe detour up to Death Valley, which is an interesting destination anyway. Some pretty good trails there.
gilmorneau Is right about interstate 15, people do drive really fast through there all the way up into Utah.

You will learn pretty quickly “how” to drive the mountain passes and when to get off the highway and use secondary roads so you don't end up in a car accident.

Remember, the 3B was designed in the 1970's. It was meant for a top consistent speed (even with turbo) of about 100kph.
Thank god that google maps has the "Avoid Highways" option. I've used that plenty of times when I don't feel like being rear-ended by someone in their massive BRO-DOZER, Quadruple Turbo, 13.6 Liter Cummins flying down the interstate at 90mph. Plus, I believe @gilmorneau said it last year, but you often get way more scenic views and much better experiences when you take the road less traveled. Plus the mpg will be much better at 55mph vs 70.

Small world, just came across this thread but I’m pretty sure I saw your troopy on the south end beach over thanksgiving weekend last year. Even snapped a pic like a creeper...

30526513-44D0-4E0D-B30A-9CC0F2BDD04A.jpeg

We were in my wife’s jeep and Dad’s Tahoe, otherwise would have been a conversation starter. We have a KZJ78 as well, and an 80 series.

B79E1C99-9A4A-4244-BB30-025B6D197844.jpeg

Anyway, love the troopy!! Great seeing it in the wild!

Small world, just came across this thread but I’m pretty sure I saw your troopy on the south end beach over thanksgiving weekend last year. Even snapped a pic like a creeper...

View attachment 2619716

We were in my wife’s jeep and Dad’s Tahoe, otherwise would have been a conversation starter. We have a KZJ78 as well, and an 80 series.

View attachment 2619717

Anyway, love the troopy!! Great seeing it in the wild!
Wow, such a small world! Definitely my troopy haha. Love your cruisers as well, especially the paint on the Prado 👍

you know what that means...

tumblr_ohimdo10321rrkahjo1_500.gif
Well, $50 later and I've got a TD04HL-15T turbo off of a 65k mile junkyard Saab. Should be a great size for the 3B, now to just make my own manifold and all the other little stuff and I should have a VERY cheap turbo setup 😁

IMG_7178_jpg.jpg

And, dude, your front bumper looks sweet! But your saggy-ass rear bumper? C'mon!
Well as you can see, the saggy ass rear bumper has been taken care of and wiped off the face of the earth. Here lies yet another reason not to like jeepers. Honestly impressive to be able to rear-end me at 30mph on a wide-open beach with nothing else around. But hey, I guess jeep owners are a little special... if you know what I mean. On a more serious note, this SUCKS so much, just a real shame. I guess it's just one of the risks of owning a cool old cruiser. I've now been in 3 car crashes in my total of 3 years of driving, none being my fault. Maybe I'm cursed, or Wilmington NC just has horrible drivers, if I had to guess it's option #2 lol. The frame is obviously wrecked in the rear, bumper, lights, and my left side short door is crunched, it's split open on the bottom like a can of beans or something. Now my questions are where can I find a new rear left door, since it doesn't properly close now? How should I even start on the frame repair, like where should I take it to or try to do with it? The good thing is the guy offered to pay for everything, as he should, and is very sorry and feels horrible about it, rightfully so. I won't be able to drive it for who knows how long since the lights are all busted, anyways enjoy the crash gore.

IMG_7238.jpg

IMG_7247.jpg

IMG_7278.jpg

IMG_7258.jpg
IMG_7281.jpg

Damn!!!! Hopefully you showed the Jeep owner what real “angry eyes” looks like.

Last edited:
Glad you were not hurt. 😊
Thank you! I am too, luckily I think a reoccurring theme with Land Cruisers is it feels more like bumper cars when you get in a crash, rather than what any other car crash would feel like. The jeep launched the troopy a solid 6-7ft forward, in the sand, it was pretty impressive how hard the hit was. Felt exactly the same when some kid on their phone ran a red light right into the side of my 62. I guess it's how real men play bumper cars 😁

Thank you! I am too, luckily I think a reoccurring theme with Land Cruisers is it feels more like bumper cars when you get in a crash, rather than what any other car crash would feel like. The jeep launched the troopy a solid 6-7ft forward, in the sand, it was pretty impressive how hard the hit was. Felt exactly the same when some kid on their phone ran a red light right into the side of my 62. I guess it's how real men play bumper cars 😁
So you were sitting still?

So you were sitting still?
Yep, my friend in front of me had stopped to help yank out some girls in another JEEP that were bogged down to the axles, so I stopped... 5-6 seconds go by, and as I was just about to get out of the car, BOOOOOM.

I think the door is available from amayama or megazip. Check this pn, 67006-60152 Needs to be verified, but I think it is the one for the door. Some folks on here have ordered the RH door new from middle east sources.

That’s a lot of damage. Hope you got all the insurance information! My daughter just got scraped in our tundra and it’s been a month and getting any info from their insurance has been a pain.

Good luck! That sucks

Never fun to deal with this. If it were me I would get a few estimates from reputable shops. Then with money in hand from the Jeep owner I would try and do most of the work myself. I would reach out to some of the Mud vendors @Eco 45 & @joekatana come to mind they may have a frame that they could cut that rear crossmember out of and or maybe a door for you.
Any competent welder could cut that out and replace it. If your not a purest it could be replaced with a piece of channel.
Also Cruiser Outfitters has really nice bumper for the 70 series now might be the time to look into that.
Cheers and good luck with the repairs ;)

I have a BJ75 troopy sitting in Europe that will be stripped down but that is going to take a while before I can get that here and I haven't seen it yet so no idea about the general conditon of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom