The Dashman Box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got a link?

Thanks

picture

Dash0011.jpg

I have a dash box and really like it. The one thing I did was add the two mounting holes in the corners. It was a little difficult to install the two screws but they go in and I like the fact that all the original mounting points were used.
Interior 05.jpg

These are one of the best ideas for junk storage in an FJ40. I bought mine years ago when they first came out, and am very satisfied with it. Most people don't even know it's a storage area, since it looks so much like the original dash pad. :)

BTB Dashbox mounting issues

I've got a (BTB-supplied, BTB-installed) dashbox in my 1974 FJ40. There were three issues with it.

1) BTB supplied me with a scratched box. (I have the photos, with it still sitting in their shop, mounted to the cowl, that show the scratch to prove it.) Some very careful work with a bit of touch-up paint and you wouldn't ever see the scratch unless you knew it was there.

2) The camlock that BTB supplies is flimsy. I fixed this by retrofitting a Tuffy-supplied camlock (keyed identically to the Tuffy console I have mounted) into the hole. Doesn't take too much work, and its very nice to have one less key on the keyring.

3) The BTB-supplied mounting is weak. Its only mounted at the bottom, so the top of the box 'shakes' as you drive down the road. I find this very distracting. I fabricated two mounts that 'stiffen' the mounting by taking the top of the box to the mounting point for the windshield knobs. (The photos explain it best.) The box is very 'solid' now, no excess motion.

Frankly, I can't recommend purchasing anything from BTB that you can get elsewhere. Larry is a snake, and Brian has largely "checked out" from running the business.
DSC01139.jpg
DSC01140.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a (BTB-supplied, BTB-installed) dashbox in my 1974 FJ40. There were three issues with it.

1) BTB supplied me with a scratched box. (I have the photos, with it still sitting in their shop, mounted to the cowl, that show the scratch to prove it.) Some very careful work with a bit of touch-up paint and you wouldn't ever see the scratch unless you knew it was there.

2) The camlock that BTB supplies is flimsy. I fixed this by retrofitting a Tuffy-supplied camlock (keyed identically to the Tuffy console I have mounted) into the hole. Doesn't take too much work, and its very nice to have one less key on the keyring.

3) The BTB-supplied mounting is weak. Its only mounted at the bottom, so the top of the box 'shakes' as you drive down the road. I find this very distracting. I fabricated two mounts that 'stiffen' the mounting by taking the top of the box to the mounting point for the windshield knobs. (The photos explain it best.) The box is very 'solid' now, no excess motion.

Frankly, I can't recommend purchasing anything from BTB that you can get elsewhere. Larry is a snake, and Brian has largely "checked out" from running the business.
My dash box mounts using the factory nuts in the dash. I do not have those end tabs you show in your picture (see post #7). The BTB box orignally came with holes to align with the three factory nuts that held the original dash. I added two end holes to use the other two factory nuts. My dash box does not move or vibrate at all. I also am not very happy with my dealings with BTB. Their shipping cost are criminal.

So can you put your windshield down without taking another two bolts out?

Why not just use a little double sided tape to secure it better?

Edit: Just saw the date. my bad.

Hey felows,
I just started to install the dash box today and found the mounting flange that attaches the dash to the cowl under the dash pad, no body told me about this! Is this thing spot welded to the cowl? Do I need to take off the top AND LOWER THE WINDSHIELD(%^&###$)? Tryed to search and this thread seem to fit mt questions THANKS!!!!!!!:beer::beer::beer:

Hey felows,
I just started to install the dash box today and found the mounting flange that attaches the dash to the cowl under the dash pad, no body told me about this! Is this thing spot welded to the cowl? Do I need to take off the top AND LOWER THE WINDSHIELD(%^&###$)? Tryed to search and this thread seem to fit mt questions THANKS!!!!!!!:beer::beer::beer:

A drill bit for removing spot welds would be the best choice. You do not need to do anything with the windshield. You can buy one from www.mcmaster.com page 2318, item number 4096A11, price $15.42.

Answered the question myself. HELL YES they are spot welds. O.K. carbide drill time . Thanks.......................:beer:

Has anyone bought one of these recently?

Mine is about 2 years old, but not yet installed:eek:

Ed

Yes - I just bought one. I spoke to Mark Vickers
408-947-1530. Mark is very old school, does not do the computer or internet much, so call him. If your going to purchase one, support the fellow cruiser head and buy from Mark. Shipping from CA to Texas and the box was $306 total.

I also asked Mark about the BTB box. He told me that BTB was selling his box, until they decided to produce there own version and sell it. So the BTB box is not a Mark Vickers Dashman box. I won't go into the rest of the story here on a open forum, but please buy from Mark if your going to get a dashbox.

Has anyone bought one of these recently?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom