Tesla Style Stereo Research - Landcruiser 2008-15 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you for posting this video - it helps a lot. It is one of the first videos to show the functionality of the birds eye view camera and the product that worked with the Tesla Style unit. The end of the video mentions trim classifications of his 2014 as VXR and other trim options in the Land Cruiser as EXR AND GXR - suggesting that the 12" screen option is for these models.

What is the difference in the VXR, EXR and GXR? What models do these trim packages apply to and does my 2008 have a trim model or is just a 2008 Land Cruiser?

I ran across another listing with a specification of the Landcruiser in Australia - This ebayer with not the greatest of ratings lists the 16" screen as going in the 2008-15 Sahara High Spec modes. What on earth is "High Spec"? I thought Apple was the worst at naming products.

Toyota Landcruiser 200 Sahara High Spec 16" Android 6.0 GPS NAVI Multimedia Unit | eBay

Really slick, but they need to fix that boot time. On a hot day, does it take 10s after starting your car to get the AC going?

I haven't timed my '16 but there is a delay as the screen starts up then you have to accept liability before using the nav. I'm guessing it's in the 5-10 second range.

My AC starts at the same place at which I left it while the screen boots up so I would assume the same for these aftermarket screens.

What is really needed is a screen that is high resolution and a mini-computer/tablet that sits behind the screen that can be updated / upgraded. It would be nice to keep the screen and just update the brains as needed.

I have managed one conclusion today - the 16" version of the Tesla Style Stereo in whatever brand name has a 13.3" screen and works specifically with 2008 - 14 Land Cruisers with the VXR trim package sold primarily in the middle east and China. If you look at the before and after pictures of the installations none of the before pictures looks like a US Land Cruiser dash. They are definitely configured different. The Aliexpress website warns that the 16" unit is specific to the VXR as does sac Cerevisiae video. So, my conclusion is that if you live in the US do not by a 16" Tesla Style Stereo and expect it to plug and play with your vehicle even though it says 2008 - 2014. I am narrowing my search to only the 12" models and trying to focus on getting the best service I can get. Phoenix is in the US at least but I have had a ticket open with questions for over two weeks now with no answer. I will let you know when I make a purchase.

The 16" has been installed in US spec LC200, see this thread... He talked about what works and what didn't and the fact it has connectors for the 4 camera system for 13-15 model years. It really does sound like its plug and play and if you buy from Phoenix it should be easy to return if you don't like it.

Tesla style 16" Android Radio install/information

The 16" has been installed in US spec LC200, see this thread... He talked about what works and what didn't and the fact it has connectors for the 4 camera system for 13-15 model years. It really does sound like its plug and play and if you buy from Phoenix it should be easy to return if you don't like it.

Tesla style 16" Android Radio install/information

You are correct "ckkone" it has been installed and the break down on the installation is fantastic. I hope to do half as good a job when my Android unit comes in. If you click on the link of the unit that he ordered it will take you to the Tundra version of the Android unit which will fit cosmetically but there are, as he details in his post, some things that are and aren't working. He is also clear that he likes and works with electronics which a lot of us don't have the skill for. For myself I am a bit better than plug and play - with enough time and Ativan I can figure most things out. :)

You can only do so much research before you become cross eyed and delirious. Everyone on the forum has been such a big part of trying to gather together information on this really cool solution to upgraded tech in our Land Cruisers.

So this week I heard from Phoenix Android Radios but oddly enough not through the ticket that I generated several weeks ago. I called and actually didn't leave a message, several hours later someone called from California and apologized for missing the call and how could they help. I found out that their units still ship with Android 4.4.4 and that the 16" model was not intended for my particular 2008 Land Cruiser but he was aware of the thread on this forum documenting the installation. He did not recommend it, though. I didn't go any further because I was a little shell shocked at receiving the call back and I had to pay close attention to his answers as there was a bit of a language accent barrier. But I gave them big points for calling back.

A company that I did not consider in my initial post at the start of this thread was Smarty-Trend SMARTY Trend™ - the best brand of high quality Android Car Stereo Navigation In-Dash head units - SMARTY Trend™ Company . I am baffled at how I missed this one. They have a very nice sight, not overdone so that it makes you think they are selling you on glam and not the product. They have a huge, huge selection android units for vehicles that I have not seen before. The unit for the Landcruiser 200 US version is the same as other sites however the software seems to be different and they are the only company that is a year warranty. I poster earlier stated that all of these units are made in the same place and re branded and I really believe that, he went on to say that it comes down to what a company does with the open source android software that they units are running. Smarty-Trend is shipping Android 6 Marshmellow in there units which I would suspect does helps with the fluidity of the users experience. But then again I would also assume that units can be updated. Anyway, they have three options for the 08 -14 Land Cruiser - One that works with units that have separated climate controls having a 9"screen, which I have personally never seen in the US but apparently they exist and the 12" version that all other companies offer. And there is a third version of the 9" double din looking one described first that looks exactly like the first one but is $50 less. Don't know why and since I am not in the market I didn't care and moved on.

They have very good specs for there units, they name in detail the processors and ram that go into the units and the site is written in true English not attempts at English which doesn't instill much confidence in the US market at least. I am almost 100% sure - unless some posts changing my mind otherwise that I will be ordering my unit from Smarty-Trend. There unit comes with 2 usb inputs witch at the moment I am planning to use one for an Apple Car Play Dongle and the second for a Hard Drive. The description of the unit shows that a 32 gb upgrade is optional but I do not see where it shows up for purchase. I will have to find out how good their communication is on that question. I would also like to purchase the OBDII dongle as it is cheap but do not see where they offer it for sale but list it as an option in the units specs.

So there you have it - the conclusion to my research and your input to this point. I am going to order from Smary-Trend, Apple Carplay Dongle from probably Ebay or somewhere along with a OBII dongle.

full

Great info @schiller2300 very interested in how this turns out for you please keep us posted. Good find on the Smarty Trend site I hadn't seen anyone mention them here or elsewhere and their site is very user friendly.

I noticed the top unit has a CD/DVD slot at the top and 8 inch screen vs the bottom unit does not have the CD/DVD slot and has 9 inch touch screen $20 difference. I'm curious to how each unit will interface with the rear entertainment system or if you loose that functionality.

Last edited:

NICE DEMO -- NOT IN ENGLISH

You will notice that in this 12.1 version meant for the 08-14 Land Cruiser the factory temp. up/down buttons are functional which was important to me for ergonomic reasons. Toyota goes to the trouble or not of placing temp. change buttons at a arms reach because they know that you will use them and boy do I. The 16" version that was fitted into a LC originally meant for a Tundra lost this functionality as reported in previous threads.

Last edited:
Do you want the big screen or are you trying to upgrade the system? Have you considered deleting the navigation and installing a double DIN of your choice? Some guys in the 100 section reported problems with similar android setups. I deleted my climate control nav in my 100 and installed a double DIN. I do not have a 200 yet
Just wanted to add a great thread on navigation delete that you are talking about to this thread. 2008-2009 LC Navigation Delete

I am researching for 16+ as we speak. The 13.6" version seen in some videos supposedly will not work on US spec per engineering from one of the sellers. So researching other.

FWIW I suspect most of the functionality is just a question of whether it's supported by Android Auto, and then whether the hardware has the wiring harness connections to all the Toyota features. If someone could find a head unit which had all the wiring harnesses, I suspect I could build (and maintain) an Android release that would support everything. Not that my wife would appreciate me perpetually tinkering with the truck...

are you going to make the leap and install one of these?

Yes - most certainly. Thank you for saying something, I had meant to update everyone because I really want this to be a thorough thread on these head units. I was hit with a 4k bill on a transfer case on my Mercedes GL320 which has understandably set me back a couple of months. I am hoping to be ordering next month. I have taken the time to look over the navigation deletes and included some links to them and come to the conclusion it is just not what I want to do. There is so much with the controls on the Landcruiser for climate and infotainment that I just am not interested in stock look - which is different for me because I have always been a keep it stock look person. Please bear with me and we will get to the purchase in a month or so. I am planning on an unboxing video like they do on You Tube along with detailed installation and the problems that arise. I will say that I am not at all interested in trying to put in the 16" display and work around all of the issues that people have been posting about. I think these are meant for the 14+ model units and I am just not that skilled. I know my limitations. Thanks for the question and I will update everyone soon. - Chris

Hopefully we are able to find something that works for 08-09 systems, it is really dated.
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but JBL Synthesis AMP and rear DVD might create some issues as well.

Hopefully we are able to find something that works for 08-09 systems, it is really dated.
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but JBL Synthesis AMP and rear DVD might create some issues as well.

Ideally someone with more money and time than me would put together a spreadsheet (or table) with the options out there and the requirements (Toyota factory features). Failing that what I know my 2013 has that I'd want to see replicated is:
  • touch-screen climate controls
  • hard climate temp controls still work
  • rear defroster
  • front defogger and heated mirrors
  • front de-icer* (I don't think anything supports this, currently part of the digital controls)
  • cabin filter button (hard or digital)
  • hazard lights (hard button)
  • steering controls for audio
  • steering controls for voice control
  • steering controls for phone
  • navigation (with offline map caching)
  • AM/FM
  • XM
  • iPod/USB in the center console still works
  • BT Audio support maintained
  • rear DVD
  • rear DVD remote still works
  • rear A/V inputs still work
  • front, rear, and both side camera work as-is
    • camera grid lines
  • External temp sensor and clock work
Possible improvements:
  • I would take a USB or SD card option over DVD ROMs
  • Ideally videos would be playable via an app like Plex instead of the DVD player (I <3 Plex)
  • Integration with the MID, like don't display maintenance required every 5k miles but instead based on the maintenance schedule I set (unlikely but would be nice)
  • Timezone sets automatically from cell network and/or GPS
  • Digital inclinometer (useful for wheeling)
  • Pull in OBD2 and CAN data (stuff I can already see on my phone using EngineLink)
    • A/T pan and torque converter temps
    • Realtime MPG, A/F mixture, etc
    • Display Toyota diags (stuff that's only in Techstream currently)
  • Better stitching of exterior cameras together
  • I don't use the maintenance stuff in the nav but it would be great if you could use it and tie it to your toyotaowners account
Stuff I don't care about:
  • Toyota/Entune "apps"
  • XM sports/stock quotes/etc
  • maintenance reminders in the nav if it's standalone
I'm probably forgetting some other stuff but I'll edit this post if I think of them

One thing I care about is Apple CarPlay. As this is driven by an Android system, my assumption is that Apple CarPlay is a no go, which makes me sad.

One thing I care about is Apple CarPlay. As this is driven by an Android system, my assumption is that Apple CarPlay is a no go, which makes me sad.
Actually it’s easily achievable with a CarPlay dongle since those units you are contemplating are Android based

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom