Tesla Style Stereo Research - Landcruiser 2008-15 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to document this journey as I have recently rehomed my 80 series of 15 years to Mississippi and last month purchased Moira Rose - a 2008 Landcruiser here in Central Arkanas. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much the Landcruiser had in common with my almost 16 year her senior Betty. Now I am not a hard core off roader, I do occasionally, I just love this particular vehicle for its history and what it says about me.

One thing that had not changed was the electronic technology of the land cruiser. Now this can be seen as a good or bad thing. For me I would have preferred after 16 years to have put a little more effort into the electronic creature comforts of infotainment. I could have bought a Lexus for more of those creature comforts but I couldn't stand the thought of not have the name Landcruiser on my Landcruiser.

So, I have made a few small mods so far: Weather tech floor mats (the only company that had them in coco to match my interior), rain guards on the windows and a front license plate. Next up is a bit bigger challenge as I am a bit of a snob when it comes to the sound in my vehicle. Not because I drive that much but gust because I want to. This leads me to the only option for upgrade is an android tesla style stereo. The Chinese have figured out how to use the open sources of android to separate the climate controls on the 08-15 cruiser in a massive screen that looks a lot like the trade mark Tesla center console.

So begins my research and I would like to document and share what I find and don't find. My research has been hampered by the fact that the companies and or websites that sell these units all seem to be a bit sketchy and don’t exactly instill confidence in their product. I am currently focusing on two things – one keeping the up/down temp oem button functionality on my 2008 Landcruiser as they are very prominent and easy to reach – used often. I would prefer not to go to the radio to adjust this when there is a big meaty button for it right in from of my face. The other is I have long since sold my sole to Apple and would like to use Apple Play and yes I realize this is an android stereo but I feel like I can use something like the ZBOX dongle which claims to allow for the use of apple play on any android based stereo.

I have communicated with Phoenix about the temp. button issue as this functionality has been reported to be lost in a 2008 Tundra install that is the best thread to be found on this forum at the moment for installation of this stereo. Thank You “tlcruiserman” - Tesla style 16" Android Radio install/information. Phoenix answer was a random I think they will be retained - OK.

Below you will find the four sites that I have found that you can purchase one of these units. I largley suspect that all of these units are the same and sold under different brand names. There are different versions which I will explain below.

Ali Express

Stereo Description: 16 inch Tesla style Car no DVD Player GPS Navigation auto Radio for TOYOTA LAND CRUISER LC200 2008-2015 PLUS stereo multimedia

Link:

Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

COMMENTS / THOUGHTS:

I think AliExpress is a one stop purchase agent (oriental Amazonish) and on something like this purchase you would need a little more of a guarantee of some customer support. I will say that in there pictures I have more faith in the images of the harnesses that are supplied with the unit. I will also say that they are the only site that shows the newer 16" stereo.

full

Phoenix

Stereo Description: 12.1" VERTICAL SCREEN ANDROID NAVI RADIO FOR TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 2008 - 2015

Link: 12.1" Vertical Screen Android Navi Radio for Toyota Land Cruiser 2008 - 2015

COMMENTS/THOUGHTS: By far the best developed company of the lot. They have not updated there site to the new 16” screens which have been reported to being shipped when ordering the 12.1 screen on this forum. Thread Link: Tesla style 16" Android Radio install/information Updating websites and specifications on products being sold does not seem to be a priority for the Chinese. I have communicated several times with them and gotten responses. They have a customer support network that actually seems to provide help or at least answers.

full

ESPONY-CARGO

DESCRIPTION: 12.1''Tesla Style Vertical HD Screen Android 6.0 Car GPS Intelligent Navigation for TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015

LINK: 12.1''Tesla Style Vertical HD Screen Android 6.0 Car GPS Intelligent Navigation For TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015|Espony cargo | Android 6.0 Head Unit

COMMENTS / DESCRIPTION : There are so many little things that go into whether you trust a company and weeding thRough it all with aftermarket stereoS is not easy in this case. Their website is to slick – it opens with a huge image of a model driving a carbon fiber BMW in the desert which has nothing to do with anything other than generate an image of luxury I guess. The description of the stereo is well documented (one of the best) but unfortunately I am suspicions that it is outdated like the other websites.

1554492-5e06872bd54e06fa77d72f747e6d7656.jpg

KRANDO

DESCRIPTION: Krando Android 12.1" Vertical screen car radio player for Toyota Land Cruiser 2008-2015 gpa navigation system KD-TL123

Link:

Guangzhou Krando Technology Co., Ltd. - car dvd player, car multimedia system

Krando Android 6.0 Vertical Touch Screen Radio Dvd Player For Toyota Land Cruiser 2016+ Multimedia Navigation 32g Rom Kd-tl126 - Buy Android Vertical Touch Screen For Toyota Land Cruiser,Touch Screen Radio For Toyota Land Cruiser,For Toyota Land Cruiser Multimedia Product on Alibaba.com

Comments / Thoughts: I am going to say that Guangzhou Krando Technology Co. LLC is probably the best website and edges out Phoenix but still is not updated to the newest unit or is not selling the newest unit.

1554490-289b6a1f946a21618156e5aec2b936db.jpg

KiriNavi – WeeCaro.com

Description: KiriNavi Vertical 16.1 inch full touch screen for toyota land cruiser 2008-2015 car radio navigation, Android 6.0, 2g RAM+32g ROM,built in GPS,WIFI,Bluetooth,AUD,TV,Google,etc.

Link: To go with the theme of not updating websites KiriNavi posted a good video of the functionality of their Land Cruiser 2008-20015 unity that is not listed on their website. Shocker.

YouTube Video: KiriNavi Vertical head unit android 6.0 for toyota land cruiser 2008-2015 16.1 inch

Company Link: (with no Land Cruiser 16" stereo listed at all) but the video claims they have it. http://www.wecaro.com/

So as of the moment I am looking into the ZBox and waiting for some responses from these companies to see what I will actually get if I send them my hard earned cash.

Here are a couple of very good installation videos, however they are on a Tundra. I noted in my research that the stereo for the Tundra was several hundred dollars more that the one for the Landcruiser 08-15 which was actually on of the cheepest Tesla style android radios.

Last edited:
This should be interesting. Looking forward to see which one you pick and how it installs

I have 16LC and NAV is weak comparing to other vehicles I had. Feels like tech from 10 years ago and as well considering an upgrade. My one concern is live data to use Nav and other features. Creating a hot spot each time is no go for me as you have to do step each time or you draining your phone batter the rest of the day. The only other option is having a dongle. I don't know if you have thought about that part but would be great if you include in your research. Definitely will be watching the thread.

Wanted to include this video in the thread as it was something that helped me see that this style stereo was a real solution for me. The loader that is seen is much more user user friendly and I believe will make my driving experience much better.

Her is a video on the zbox that I feel that I can use with the tesla style radio. The guy in the video mentions that he is using the car launcher pro that also runs on the tesla style screen as shown in the above post.

You shouldn't need a data connection at all times. Assuming these things have built in GPS and decent storage, all you would have to do is download the maps and run them off-line. Be it Google Maps or HERE or BCN.

Not really if you want to see traffic conditions or a mapping app like waze. Off line is no longer a good option with current state of tech

Last edited:
In another thread it’s mentioned that Phoenix is now selling the same 16” as aliexpress and no longer the 12.1” they just haven’t updated their site.

In another thread it’s mentioned that Phoenix is now selling the same 16” as aliexpress and no longer the 12.1” they just haven’t updated their site.
I have contacted them over the weekend about this but have not heard back yet - will keep you posted. I prefer the 16" model because I do not think the information the dash screen is all that useful. The issue for me is that I have seen in two videos that the older 12.1 version does make us of the OEM temp controls below the front vents on the pass and driver sides. The report from "tlcruiserman" on his Tundra install was that the OEM temp controls are NOT functional with the 16" stereo installation. This is not going to sway my decision to purchase but I would like to know what to expect, however I suspect this is one of those little things that is going to be impossible to find out until you actually install the unit.

We need more LX570 love. It isn’t clear whether there is cross compatibility for our vehicles. Hopefully someone can chime in!

We should draw straws and have people on this site buy each of these things and put them through the paces. Look at it like this: it's twice the listed price. As you have to buy the s***box that is assigned with the straw you drew, then you have to buy the best one, after we collectively perform our research.

We should draw straws and have people on this site buy each of these things and put them through the paces. Look at it like this: it's twice the listed price. As you have to buy the s***box that is assigned with the straw you drew, then you have to buy the best one, after we collectively perform our research.

I have a better idea. You guys can sponsor me. With funds I will buy one and do a detail write up with install pictures, etc....

Not really if you want to see traffic conditions or a mapping app like waze. Off line is no longer a good option with current state of tech

I have Android head units on three of my cars so I tether my phone's data all the time. I would say it's not that much of a hassle, no different than mounting your phone to your dash mount and opening Waze or google maps. Also, the phone battery lasts much longer when tetheting compared to using your phone itself for Waze or any other app. It's the running app using the processor and the lit screen that uses more battery power compared to using it as a hotspot. The phone doesn't get as warm too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom