Target carrier (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been looking into getting off the grid, at least for some of the things like the deep well and it can shoot the pig budget all to hell.

Looking forward to the hauler!

Love to see the progress when your ready to share...
Looking forward to the hauler!
X2 - would love to see some pics, or a build thread.

Nothing too exciting just a lots of pre work before the real work can start.

Mack truck taken apart and everything I want to keep put up on shelves.
66.jpg

Engine, transmissions and frame sitting in the yard hoping someone will buy them and I don’t have to scrap them.
44.jpg

I’ve spent three weeks working with the techs at Holley trying to get their dash to play nice with Kenworth and Cummins, this dash will end up between the sun visors and provide me with accurate information. The original Mack dash will remain and also be hooked up but it doesn’t have everything I want/need and I’m not sure I can rely on the info it provides.
77.jpg

New rear end built and just about ready to start the frame shortening and install.
55.jpg

New low profile Toyo tires waiting for the tire guy to come mount them for me.

88.jpg

Still to do before the real work starts, decide if I’m going to buy a front air ride kit or build my own, track down a front drop axle, get the rest of the parts to turn up the Cummins engine and make my mind up on final wheel base numbers. Everything will be installed on the Kenworth and I’ll spend some time driving it working out all the mechanical bugs before I transplant all the Mack bodywork.

That bad boy needs it’s own thread somewhere 😉
Can’t find an appropriate spot on MUD so I’ll throw a few updates here if you guys don’t mind or until the mods make me stop.

lower.jpg

Finished the rear and now I need to build a fixture for my press to re-arch the front springs before I add the front air bags.

I bought the heavy duty finger brake kit for the express purpose of misusing it and if for some reason it survived I would benefit from having the finger brake at a later date for a lot less time and money than I would have had into building all the tooling myself.
fb.jpg

I’m installing an airbag kit on the front of a Kenworth and needed to remove some of the arch from the springs, these springs are 4” wide X 1” thick and the local shop couldn’t bend them cold so I thought I’d give it a try. I made a quick die that has a 1 ½” round bar to push on the spring and used a couple chunks of steel to spread the load on the press bed, I maxed out a 90 ton press with this setup and was able to pull some of the arch of the spring. Good news is the SWAG 20 TON Finger Brake was completely unaffected by my intentional mistreatment and will live on as a finger brake.
press-spring-2.jpg

That’s a beafy leaf! (and you have a big press for a home shop!)

I lust after MDTs and HDTs. My F550 works so well for what I want that it'd be hard to justify moving up.

I love the lowered stance of the Kenworth now.

Feb 16, 2014 Jim's post # 1
I shoot long range and I needed a way to carry my targets out to the desert so I picked up a FJ-55, after I started to work on it my wife and I thought it might be fun to make it into an expedition vehicle of sorts and travel around the United States checking out ghost towns and monuments in our retirement years.

What a ride Jim has already taken us on with him. Great to have him in our group.

My F550 works so well for what I want that it'd be hard to justify moving up.
Ha…..
Yeah I don’t need this and couldn’t justify it if I tried but I do have an understanding wife and told her I would build living quarters in the back so when we take the Angry Pig out of state we can camp in reasonable comfort. The plan as of today is a toy hauler with heater floors, bed and a toilet, that could all change by tomorrow.

Thank you guys for the kind words, motivates me to not hack my junk up too bad take pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom