Stupid question: How rare are fj43's in the states? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious as I've only seen a handful at auctions and in the classifieds. I've researched and, though my search skills are limited, cannot find a concrete answer. Any ideas?

they were not originally imported here. with the flood gates open on central american imports, they are steadily becoming more common, or atleast not difficult to come by.

At one time I knew of only 2 troopies in the states … only a few guys ran oem soft tops and a few 70 series (originally from Canada)

The flood gates opened with also jdm, Aussie as well as South/central American imports and some from Middle East

Our parts got depleted and just now we may see a return of several… china has been the common go to for cheap parts and the quality is not there but at least they are parts

They are not completely rare as you can get your hands on one

Rare still would be like getting an FQ15 or Toyota Bj Jeep

If you are thinking about buying one, I would look at the middle east instead of SA. At least they are all Japanese production units. Warning though; they are not common there and used hard.

I've never seen one in-person in the U.S. I have, however, seen a few FJ45's in-person here. I personally prefer the short-bed version of the FJ45. I would love to have one.

This is the only FJ43 I have ever seen….

02280C17-65DC-47C0-B201-5D78AD72E632.jpeg

D2888B70-6BBB-4856-BF75-B403AFDE3F02.jpeg

@brian and @JohnnyC summed them up nicely.US never got them and they do not carry many US(NA) required features.
I personally know of 2 in your home state.

Lots of them on BAT. Please do your research and ask questions before purchasing, as some Columbian units are "painted pigs" so to speak.
Labor is cheap and often times "sketchy".
That being said, they are very interesting trucks. Who wouldn't want more storage space and capacity in their 40 series.

Last edited:
FJ43 is not a troopie. I have been looking for a 43 for 20 years, they are either very expensive or scams. I would look at an alum fj43 tub, and build from there. Not Aqua-Lu - there is a vendor that makes the fj43 aluminum tub in the us and IIRC the cost is about $9k ish.

Actually there a bunch of really nice FJ43’s in the US! Yes, all imported and never sold new in NA. I’ve owned 2 40’s in my time and I find my Colombian 43 to be the most practical 40 series so far for my needs. With the longer, 96 inch wheel base it rides better, the storage and load capacity is greater so for me it’s more functional than a NA 40. I also enjoy the lower 1st gear of the H41 tranny. Parts and pieces for my 43 are easily obtainable from national and international markets.
Just for argument, there are plenty of “painted pig” NA FJ40’s that are dumped on the market to the unaware buyers Who think that they just have to have the “iconic 40”.

If your in the market for an FJ43 be smart and buy from a reputable importer. I’ll give you two here. Maybe they will have one for sale?Because their 43’s are so good they just fly off the shelves!

@TWatson

@aljollano

devo

6A342BFF-4ED4-4219-A03B-FBFA346FBF84.jpeg

i bought a bunch of parts from a guy last year who had imported a 'restored' FJ43 from SA - it was pretty typical hacked up lipstick on a pig of the lowest level. i got a bunch of decent parts, including a useable tailgate and a lot of 'i cant believe' this parts - like the radiator was welded with whatever was lying on the floor including part of a license plate and some kind of equipment id tag with the numbers stamped on (think dogtags) the cluch fork ears were completely worn off nubs, etc, etc...just a mess of stuff he had to take off and redo the ENTIRE vehicle.

Yeah, I've seen lots of that. Costa Rica, Columbia, Venezuela, they're all a super-humid tropical environment with lots of mud. Any vehicle suffering in that type of environment for 40-50 years is going to look horrible.

@devo is that Bob's rig? I've met him before & checked it out, really nice truck out here in Colorado...

frp_40.jpg

Nice guy too! And to the OP, you might also consider a BJ43 from Canada? same body obviously, just need to decide if you're a diesel guy. This one belongs to Jack in California..

bj43_2.jpg

Note the difference in the side windows... like the 40 series that got upgraded to the separated windows on the sides in later years. I think Jack's is an 82, here you can see the bezel:

bj43_3.jpg

Do not think you will find a BJ43 or FJ43 V version (hard top) that left the factory that way. BJ44 and BJ46 came from the with a hard top. If your wanting a LHD mild wheel with a hard top Columbia is going to your best option. Because soft top models in most markets came with hard doors aftermarket hard tops are fitted with factory doors.

I bought my 43 on BaT a few months back. My family had grown too big for my 40, but I didn’t want to leave it in the garage every time we all wanted to go somewhere together. Agree with most of what others have already said - know what you’re looking for, ask a lot of questions, etc. I did all that and have generally been happy. I like the longer wheelbase and took advantage of the extra interior room on a recent camping trip. There are sketchy 43s, but also good ones. There are also sketchy 40s, and to be honest, the 40 I bought here on MUD a few years ago had more unknown issues to deal with than my 43.
10FEFE56-CE9D-4F0E-8C79-9A9EA2B0DFDC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom