Smog Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey There,

I'm pretty new to this world so forgive me for my ignorance. I'm in the final stages of purchasing an 1976 FJ 40. I live in California so I have to abide by the states emissions standards which makes me very worried. I've posted some pictures of the engine below. From what I understand it was a total frame off restoration. I know it doesn't have a cat converter because it was pre '78. The company I'm buying from says that it still has has air injection pump, and manifold system, with charcoal canister. Is there any hope that this thing would pass or is it 50/50?

Let me know your thoughts. Thank you in advance!

2350070-19-revo.jpg

2350070-19-revo.jpg

2350070-23-revo.jpg

2350070-21-revo.jpg

2350070-17-revo.jpg

Per CA DMV, the seller is responsible for the smog certificate prior to sale.

Don't buy it if it won't pass, period.

It can be a very long and expensive road to get it to pass and parts are mostly no longer available.

thanks pjohnson. The car is coming from Colorado. I doubt they would provide that certificate. A mechanic just looked at photos and said all stuff is there and it should be okay.

It looks like you're missing the carb stud, grommet, and butterfly nut.
It's for the hole directly over the carb on the air cleaner assembly.

I'm in CA and have a Feb. '76 FJ40. I always get a pre-test to see what the numbers look like long before my smog and registration is due. A passing smog certificate is good for 90 days, so I get my rig tested as early as possible just in case I have a problem.

Colorado doesn't have emissions testing? Have the seller at least get the rig to pass there, before you buy it and bring it to CA.

Isn't that a vacuum transfer case module on the firewall?

Interesting brake master cylinder.

edit: minor stuff, but I looked at worldwides website. Don't see fuel gauge or oil pressure needles. May be missing or not functioning. Something to ask about if you proceed.

Last edited:
I doubt they would provide that certificate
Doesn't matter to CA DMV. You're going to spend a crap ton of money on that vehicle. They should provide something to prove it will pass both visual and sniff test. It would be damn shame to buy it and the not be able to drive it because it won't pass.

The photos of this truck are flip-phone-ish.

I could be wrong, but that doesn't look like a Nippon Denso coil and igniter?

It looks like it might be missing the EGR system?

1577279134845.png

There is probably no hot air intake, because it mounts to the heat shield missing from the front of the manifold?

My photos aren't great either. You can see the EGR valve on this engine next to the secondary diaphragm on the carb. The EGR cooler, and line from the back of the manifold is hard to miss.
drivetrain.jpg

GEDC1506.JPG

I have a Jan 76 FJ40 here in California. Even if it passes the emissions test it still has to pass the visual inspection which means all smog equipment has to be installed. The biggest issue is the heat shield on the front of the manifold. Very difficult to find . Cheap to buy though. The EGR system is widely available. Just remember, all of these parts are 40+ years old. Personally, if the price is right, but it

Sounds like a big gamble, especially for the pretty penny I’m sure you are paying for it. Probably better to buy in CA and make the purchase contingent on passing smog. Even if all the parts are there, it doesn’t mean it will pass.

To me that looks like an expensive road to pass. If I recall correctly the 1976 has a one year only eve exhaust part? The vacuum box on the wheel well looks like it was rattle canned black over the decal to see where the vacuum lines go. My guess is it will need a lot of hard to find parts to pass

I agree on most of the points made here:
  • "Passing" smog is as much about the visual as the emissions test.
  • Seller is responsible for smog test. If they're not willing to do this then it's decision time..
  • Finding FJ40 smog parts are getting up there with finding hens teeth.
  • If you know what it will take in terms of the cost for parts, they are willing to negotiate, the rest of the rig is in great shape and you are going in informed, then do it.
  • One last caveat about costs: if you aren't going to be doing the work, this could get pretty expensive. And if you don't use someone very familiar with the FJ40 it can get REALLY expensive.

Honestly, I would pass on this and find a '75 or older. SMOG is a recurring headache every 2 years, and it just makes ownership frustrating at best.
Just my two cents

Dyno

I just bought an out of state 1978 40, brought it into CA and it passed first time (not sure how though). I rolled the dice based on the pics below, but mine is nowhere near as nice as the rig you're looking at (my engine is pretty much original though). Not sure if they help, but here are the pics I based my decision on (as well as a photo I borrowed from another member that outlines each part).

Good luck on the decision. Not sure where you are in Socal, but I'm in Simi Valley if you want to take a look at my 40's emission equipment for comparison purposes (or if you want a referral for a smog mechanic).

Grant

1978 FJ40 - engine.jpg

1978 FJ40 - engine2.jpg

78 Smog Parts.jpg

1978 FJ40 - engine.jpg

The photos of this truck are flip-phone-ish.

I could be wrong, but that doesn't look like a Nippon Denso coil and igniter?

It looks like it might be missing the EGR system?

View attachment 2165445
There is probably no hot air intake, because it mounts to the heat shield missing from the front of the manifold?

My photos aren't great either. You can see the EGR valve on this engine next to the secondary diaphragm on the carb. The EGR cooler, and line from the back of the manifold is hard to miss.
View attachment 2165451

View attachment 2165476
Thank you. So are you saying mine is missing a heat shield? Is it supposed to have a hot air intake? Nippon Denso coil? Wht's that all about. Thanks for your help

Yours looks like it’s missing the most vital and hard to get part the EGR system. A closer pic of the exhaust pipe connection will tell the story..
Circled in red are the major parts of the system
C8E769C3-0134-4E72-8702-FDC18CC0F12C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom