Builds SLOW 71 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, that's what Jim suggested also. One reason I stopped at Raton to set up for a good day tomorrow. Is there a dirt road that I'm missing or just hwy. 64 towards Taos?

I took my Chevy 4x4 on a trail up to Wheeler Peak in HS many many years ago leaving out of Red River. Maybe there’s still a road. We were stopped due to deep snow, but won’t be a problem now.

The road from Eagles Nest to Red River is beautiful and there are a lot of camping spots in town or you can camp on the trail to Wheeler.

Some the locals...

IMG_4331 (1).JPG

I took my Chevy 4x4 on a trail up to Wheeler Peak in HS many many years ago leaving out of Red River. Maybe there’s still a road. We were stopped due to deep snow, but won’t be a problem now.

The road from Eagles Nest to Red River is beautiful and there are a lot of camping spots in town or you can camp on the trail to Wheeler.
Thanks, I'll try to find the road from Eagles Nest to Red River. Life's not too bad tonight!

IMG_4333.JPG

Thanks, I'll try to find the road from Eagles Nest to Red River. Life's not too bad tonight!

View attachment 3049363
How do you find the Jetboil Genisis Ron? I see you have your own custom wind shield and not the one that comes with it.. Do you do much camping in the snow/extreme cold and if so how does it perform? I did consider one of these but they are very expensive here ($500-600AUD) so it's got me looking at alternatives that I'd mount on a rear swing out to reduce the benchspace lost..

How do you find the Jetboil Genisis Ron? I see you have your own custom wind shield and not the one that comes with it.. Do you do much camping in the snow/extreme cold and if so how does it perform? I did consider one of these but they are very expensive here ($500-600AUD) so it's got me looking at alternatives that I'd mount on a rear swing out to reduce the benchspace lost..
I like it a lot! J Mack turned me on to them and I'm totally happy with it. The wind screen is a must, but I have not done any Winter/cold camping with it. I had some money left over when I finished the wagon, so what the hell.

Ron, just thought of this but there is a Vietnam Memorial about 2 miles outside of Eagles Nest toward Angel Fire. I'm sure there will be something going on there today since it's the 4th of July. Just FYI.

If you are ever in Edgewood NM, check out Chilli Hills. The best food I have had in the area!

It is awesome to see you journeying in the pig!!! I need to get to doing it as well after tinkering on our rigs.

On the Pig Party trip we discovered a crack on each A pillar going up to that hole in the pillar. I'm not sure if this is a common crack with the pigs, but it looks like someone had welded both before. Either way it needed to be addressed and I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. As you know I'm not using a headliner, so it's all hanging out, the good, bad and ugly. I made a scab plate with some rosette weld holes and welded them up. There was plenty of anti rust products inside the pillar that started burning when the welding started, not to mention blowing holes in the metal making it lively. Hopefully it will hold another five years or so until I'm done with it. I had paint mixed to match which didn't 🤷‍♂️, but it's sorta close. It might be a good place to check when you have the headliner out.

IMG_4390.JPG

IMG_4395.JPG

IMG_4396.JPG

I just about got everything ready again for a trip back out West. I'm leaving in three weeks and driving to Stockton Ca. for an appointment with Georg at Valley Hybrids. He's swapping out my split case with the 4 to 1 low gear for a brand new case with stock gears. I'm taking six days to get there and three days for the swap then meeting up with Jeri who's flying out to Sacramento. From Sacramento we're heading for the coast and driving up to the redwood parks, taking the backroads as much as possible. Should be one heck of a trip.

On the Pig Party trip we discovered a crack on each A pillar going up to that hole in the pillar. I'm not sure if this is a common crack with the pigs, but it looks like someone had welded both before. Either way it needed to be addressed and I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. As you know I'm not using a headliner, so it's all hanging out, the good, bad and ugly. I made a scab plate with some rosette weld holes and welded them up. There was plenty of anti rust products inside the pillar that started burning when the welding started, not to mention blowing holes in the metal making it lively. Hopefully it will hold another five years or so until I'm done with it. I had paint mixed to match which didn't 🤷‍♂️, but it's sorta close. It might be a good place to check when you have the headliner out.

View attachment 3094350

View attachment 3094351

View attachment 3094352
Interesting.....good 411

I just about got everything ready again for a trip back out West. I'm leaving in three weeks and driving to Stockton Ca. for an appointment with Georg at Valley Hybrids. He's swapping out my split case with the 4 to 1 low gear for a brand new case with stock gears. I'm taking six days to get there and three days for the swap then meeting up with Jeri who's flying out to Sacramento. From Sacramento we're heading for the coast and driving up to the redwood parks, taking the backroads as much as possible. Should be one heck of a trip.
Splendid

If you are anywhere near highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway), you should stop at Nepenthe for lunch. Great views of the coastline from the outdoor seating. A great memory of one of our favorite trips out west.

Love to see you, will meet somewhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom