Builds SLOW 71 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent Sunday afternoon, mounting the OME springs and axles. Nice to have a rolling frame again. Now I have to get some wheels and tires!

Next up, was the power steering box. FJ60, but didn't know a thing about it, so I thought I would try to rebuild it. Oh man, what did I get into now! :eek:

Well, It wasn't too bad, I would like to do another one , now that I've learned a few things. Got it done and mounted, Now on to the Transfer Case.

View attachment 667862

View attachment 667863

View attachment 667864
What kind of shock towers are those?

Ford F250, I'd have to look up the number for them. It's a cheap, easy solution for mounts. I built the rear mounts myself.
That would be great!
Thx again

Don’t know if I should post this on your thread Scrapdaddy, so I just posted on yours and mine.

image.jpg

I just got my two buddies attached and even with the rod adjusted all the way back there is stil pressure on the TO bearing. I am guessing I have to make a plate to move the slave forward like Wngrog.

Don’t know if I should post this on your thread Scrapdaddy, so I just posted on yours and mine.

View attachment 3043109

I just got my two buddies attached and even with the rod adjusted all the way back there is stil pressure on the TO bearing. I am guessing I have to make a plate to move the slave forward like Wngrog.
Ran into this with my AA bell-housing to the 5.3. You should be able to pull the slave rod out and trim the end inside the slave down a bit. Then adjust till barely tight.

I got most of my "to-do" list done for this trip, at least the major things. I'll fix what breaks when we get back. The FJ80 steering box was leaking and getting sloppy, so I sent it off for a rebuild. I'm glad I did, this is what they found.

IMG_4310.JPG

Look at the top of the splines on the sector shaft, twisted. I'm not real certain how critical that is, but FJ80 boxes have been know to snap off there.
Fixed!

IMG_4308.JPG

I reworked the water tank with some vents and pass. side fill/drain ports. I was getting air locks in between the baffles, should be good now.

IMG_4313.JPG

I made some hold downs to strap our gear on top of the camping box, we still had problems with gear sliding forward when strapped side to side, so maybe these will work.

IMG_4314.JPG

And a fresh set of batteries, should be ready now!

IMG_4312.JPG

Filled the 55gal. tank up with premium and the gas station said I could make six easy payments. :eek:

I’m really wondering what steering box to go with after finding a usable 60 proved challenging, maybe I need to re-read Doomer’s Bronco install :hmm:

What's your thoughts on "usable" ? Are you going to rebuild it up front or try to run it for awhile?
I’m planning to rebuild before install, the one I bought was junk..took the wind outta the sails, just need to make time to scrounge some more. :deadhorse:

I got most of my "to-do" list done for this trip, at least the major things. I'll fix what breaks when we get back. The FJ80 steering box was leaking and getting sloppy, so I sent it off for a rebuild. I'm glad I did, this is what they found.

View attachment 3043456

Look at the top of the splines on the sector shaft, twisted. I'm not real certain how critical that is, but FJ80 boxes have been know to snap off there.
Fixed!

View attachment 3043461

I reworked the water tank with some vents and pass. side fill/drain ports. I was getting air locks in between the baffles, should be good now.

View attachment 3043464

I made some hold downs to strap our gear on top of the camping box, we still had problems with gear sliding forward when strapped side to side, so maybe these will work.

View attachment 3043467

And a fresh set of batteries, should be ready now!

View attachment 3043468

Filled the 55gal. tank up with premium and the gas station said I could make six easy payments. :eek:
So you can carry a 55 gallon drum🤔🤔🤔. That put it in perspective for me. Yowza.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom