Rust vs Reward (1 Viewer)

Too much rust?

• Total voters
I found my dream 100 series for what seemed to be a reasonable price (6.6K prob negotiable down to $5800) right near me (New Jersey)

Body looks great. Good color. Ran decently. But... BUT when the snow cleared and I got underneath I was horrified by the rust I saw.

please help, I’m no expert, so is this a run-don’t-walk situation or does the rust not matter / can be remediate at the above price.
View attachment 2581705

View attachment 2581706

View attachment 2581707

View attachment 2581708
I live in illinois and i'd run away from that. there are tons of less rusted 100s out there for that price. it's what you can't see.

Last edited:
Justify rusty trucks all you want. It's not just the structural stuff. It's not just the appearance of bubbles and holes in the body. Working on rusty trucks just plain sucks. Bolts strip. Bolts break. A 10 min. job turns into a *%#&ing project - extracting bolts, rethreading... Nope. Not worth it. You Rustbelt guys are not held captive. Get the &$*@ out of there and buy a S.E./S.W. truck. There are PLENTY. As mentioned, these aren't rare classics. The number of trucks that'll die in the N.E. because an enthusiast relocated one is statistically insignificant. Time for a road trip!

Justify rusty trucks all you want. It's not just the structural stuff. It's not just the appearance of bubbles and holes in the body. Working on rusty trucks just plain sucks. Bolts strip. Bolts break. A 10 min. job turns into a *%#&ing project - extracting bolts, rethreading... Nope. Not worth it. You Rustbelt guys are not held captive. Get the &$*@ out of there and buy a S.E./S.W. truck. There are PLENTY. As mentioned, these aren't rare classics. The number of trucks that'll die in the N.E. because an enthusiast relocated one is statistically insignificant. Time for a road trip!
spot on! road trip! :beer::steer:

Rust paranoia is justified with 100s because there's still a healthy market of them. Yes, they're getting longer in the tooth and finding really nice ones is tougher, but they are not so rare that yo want to live with that much rust. If there's that much delamination visible, I have to assume there's significant rust all over that vehicle in places you haven't even considered. I'm with the consensus, keep looking, there's better trucks out there.

Somebodyelse5

Land Crushers
The thing though this can be a problem hiding with cars from even stereotypical rust free locations.
i looked at a used 2nd gen tacoma a while back and it looked rad... until I popped the fuse panel and saw the crossmember under the dash... RUST and the seat track mechanism.... they brought a flood truck to Arizona.... i have raw steel that's been sitting in my backyard for 5 years that looked better than this thing.

i looked at a used 2nd gen tacoma a while back and it looked rad... until I popped the fuse panel and saw the crossmember under the dash... RUST and the seat track mechanism.... they brought a flood truck to Arizona.... i have raw steel that's been sitting in my backyard for 5 years that looked better than this thing.
Funny thing about Tacoma’s are they have already started a frame rust recall/remedy for 16/17s

JunkCrzr89

Competent Ignoramoose
SILVER Star
i looked at a used 2nd gen tacoma a while back
1613098208439.gif

ClassyJalopy

... which went well!
SILVER Star
Frame doesn't look bad honestly. And I know a thing or two about rusty 100 series ;)

Look at the quarter panels behind the rear wheels (and under the rear bumper) and also the fender are right behind the front wheels.
Those are drain points for the sunroof and are typically first areas to rust. If those are solid then frame stuff is easy peasy.

Obviously a rust free, inexpensive, well maintained local truck for under $10k will be ideal, but unfortunately not very realistic :confused:

87warrior

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
SILVER Star
I vote option #3. Buy for around $3k and drive it into the ground. Treat the rust you can to slow it down and in 15-20 years buy a replacement.

Rusty Cruisers make great trail vehicles and daily drivers in the salt. If you are looking for an instagram model cruiser do not buy a rusty one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom