Wanted Round smooth mirrors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd be tempted @seth, but I don't know that I'd be willing to pay what they are likely to cost. Especially when there is still a bit of uncertainty that these are truly original.

I don't recall anyone asking - does your round mirror have metric or SAE threads on the stud?

I'd be real picky about a reproduction. The mount and dimesions would need to be spot on. If so, $40 each?
Dibs on your rusty oem ones.

A repro would need to be a very accurate copy of OEM, assuming that true OEM can be determined. If it is only just close to original, it'd be hard to compete with off the shelf options.

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 8.56.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 8.57.13 AM.png

I'd be tempted @seth, but I don't know that I'd be willing to pay what they are likely to cost. Especially when there is still a bit of uncertainty that these are truly original.

I don't recall anyone asking - does your round mirror have metric or SAE threads on the stud?
I'll take a look and do a few more measurements when I'm back out at the shop this week. Given the complexity of the ball joint and the amount of pieces in these mirrors, I'm inclined to think they are OEM. But, maybe I'm giving Toyota too much credit. ;)

I'd be real picky about a reproduction. The mount and dimesions would need to be spot on. If so, $40 each?
Dibs on your rusty oem ones.
I only have the one rusty OEM round mirror myself, and still working on getting 100% confirmation that it is, in fact, OEM. That being said, I would venture to guess that if I got them re-made, they would end up being more than $40. Too many individual components to stamp, weld, glass cut, crimp...

A repro would need to be a very accurate copy of OEM, assuming that true OEM can be determined. If it is only just close to original, it'd be hard to compete with off the shelf options.

View attachment 1791510

View attachment 1791511
I agree. Those Grotes are a really nice comparable replacement – even if not exactly correct. If I price out and find the cost to remanufacture the round mirrors too prohibitive, maybe I'll just go that route.

I'm surprised that I still don't have confirmation what the OEM mirrors looked like when they changed from round to rectangular. I'm told that the photo I posted is of a rectangular Grote. If so, what does a Toyota OEM rectangular from late-1964 look like?

Still wondering if the mounting stud on yours is metric. To me, metric threads on the stud would almost cinch down that it is in fact factory.

Still wondering if the mounting stud on yours is metric. To me, metric threads on the stud would almost cinch down that it is in fact factory.
I'll check it in the next few days when I'm back out there.

Just took a measurement. It’s definitely M6x1.25!
78339C5E-4DA5-4517-95A9-F0EE00A4BC73.jpeg

View attachment 1788003 View attachment 1788004 View attachment 1788005 View attachment 1788006 View attachment 1788007 Here are some more photos that I took the other day, along with a couple measurements of what the original mirror is supposed to be.

This looks familiar - On eBay for $29. (NOS). Yet yours could be still original @seth , those days most manufacturers copied each other’s design without any restrictions. Especially accessories items. Great example is my early round heater thread. Also military trailer sockets and ww2 military rotary switches were made in many countries and they were exactly same to each other.

04B0DE81-A529-48DE-B94C-2B9CBD188EE7.jpeg
82C1029B-D528-4EDE-9B36-753E749C645E.jpeg

5" Vintage NOS Spot Mirror 48 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 Chevrolet Ford Dodge Truck | eBay

Last edited:
This looks familiar - On eBay for $29. (NOS). Yet yours could be still original @seth , those days most manufacturers copied each other’s design without any restrictions. Especially accessories items. Great example is my early round heater thread. Also military trailer sockets and ww2 military rotary switches were made in many countries and they were exactly same to each other.

View attachment 1800363 View attachment 1800364

5" Vintage NOS Spot Mirror 48 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 Chevrolet Ford Dodge Truck | eBay
This is a really similar mirror! I went ahead and purchased it. I’ll post some side by side photos when it arrives. Worst-case scenario, I could paint and run it on the truck until I get the original re-made. Thanks!

Last edited:
@seth , one more for you. It's becoming more evident that this particular mirror head was quite common on US vehicles - Cast Steel Mirror Arm with 5" Mirror (I believe 1937 Plymouth P.U.) | eBay
View attachment 1801058
Another good find. I think it's very likely that Toyota grabbed an early Jeep/Willys mirror (or something similar) and imitated it, which would explain these 1940s American mirrors looking like the Toyota. (If it's not broke...)

In all the early FJ25 or FJ40 ads I've seen, it's a simple round mirror. The challenge now is for someone with a very original truck (and first-owner photos to prove it) to take some detailed photos of this mirror, paying special attention to the curve of the metal on the back. It appears that the Toyota mirrors have a much smoother curve on the back, while the American or Grote mirrors have a more distinct "ring" indicating the change in angle of the pressed steel.

My round mirror came off of an early-64 FJ40 that was used a farm/hunting truck, and had no modifications done. I have reason to believe it is original, but would love to confirm with certainty. When I get the NOS Spot Mirror I just bought yesterday, I'll take some side by side photos. From the ebay pic, I would say that the curve on the backside of the mirror is slightly different from mine.

Last edited:
When it gets there, check the threads to see if they're metric..

I ordered the '37 Plymouth mirror. I'll add it to my round mirror collection, and hopefully to Miss Kitty.

But just in case someone has a smooth backed mirror with a big ol' TEQ symbol or such.. BUMP

I see pictures of rigs with rectangular mirrors. This is the one that was on my rig when I bought it.
20181001_184128.jpg

You sure it’s not 1/4-20? 1/4-20 threads would be the equivalent of 1.27mm pitch.
That’s a good question. I’ll see next time I’m out at the shop!

That’s a good question. I’ll see next time I’m out at the shop!

It’s also unlikely it’s a Japanese part since the JIS thread pitch for an m6 thread is 1.0mm.

Ive seen a lot of old advertisements with a smooth round mirror, but for some reason I’m not convinced Toyota ever made a smooth round mirror on a Landcruiser. The FJ25-1963 FJ40 Parts books show a smooth round mirror, but it could just be a lack of detail in the drawing. The 1964 manual shows the rectangle mirror, and then the 1967 manual shows the stamped round one.

It’s also possible they used a generic aftermarket mirror similarly to how they used aftermarket reflectors on the early cruisers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom