Replacing the Rear Sill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting ready to do some body work on my 73 FJ, I want to replace the rear sill that's rotted away and do some patch panels in the corners. The rest of the tub is not that bad so I don't want to pull it off the frame. My question is can I replace the rear sill without pulling the tub?

Yes. Several threads on this.
I'm getting ready to do some body work on my 73 FJ, I want to replace the rear sill that's rotted away and do some patch panels in the corners. The rest of the tub is not that bad so I don't want to pull it off the frame. My question is can I replace the rear sill without pulling the tub?

Here's one. Its been done many times.
You can use search function, or thru a web search. Ref something like fj40 rear sill replacement

Post pics of your progress!

Post pics of your progress!

After reading the responses here and looking at the suggested threads I said what the heck and got started after removing the top and roll bar, Here's a picture from the back and one Mrs. King took of me doing some cutting to get what was left of the sill out. Tomorrow I will order the sill and corner patch panels and get back at it once those arrive. In the mean time there are lot of details to work on that will keep me busy!

DSCF0933-001.JPG

DSCF0936.JPG

Last edited:
Hey brother take lots of detailed pictures for the rest of us to see. My boy really wants to come up and see it in person too. We've got to do this plus both quarters and the rockers too.

Hey brother take lots of detailed pictures for the rest of us to see. My boy really wants to come up and see it in person too. We've got to do this plus both quarters and the rockers too.

Your welcome to stop by mi casa sometime! I'm in the beginning stage of the project with lot's to do. Some days I'm overwhelmed and others I just calm down and tell myself one day it will all come together. I did get it running under it's own power after 5 years of sitting and I hope to get body fixed up before cold weather sets in. Over the winter it is going to need a new wiring harness and I want to change the exhaust out to a single quieter muffler tucked up out of the way and it needs a new windshield.

It might be a good idea to tie the right and left top rails together to help keep them aligned as you remove all the lower support (rear sill).

I would remove the sill in pieces to understand how it was originally built. Rear cap between the doors first. Next bend the floor vertical. Last the sitch weld between the floor and actually rear sill. Last the spot welds in the corners the sill and quarter panels. Once the rear cap is off and floor bend up you will see how the rear sill was made originally depending on how bad the rust is.

I am familiar with rusted sills
20220410_121741.jpg

But also have multiple cruisers that sill have an intact rear sill. So I understand why sills rust side to side in the middle between the doors. Very strong design but it also allows water to get in between the layers. Not sure if complete weld instead of sitch welds between the sill and floor would help. I know I have a 68, 70 and 73 FJ40s with intact rear sills. What they all have in common is they all have a spare tank which helps keep moisture from getting to the seam between the floor and rear sill.

I also have an intact rear sill on a 10/75 FJ40. I have never studied it because this is my only 75-78 FJ40 I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom