Builds Removing SBC conversion, going back to Toyota. 1972 Frame Off (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bring on the epoxy primer.

I will also be using PPG Alk 200 w/o hardener for the undercarriage parts.
uploadfromtaptalk1431655568920.jpg

This is the starting spray gun kit I have. Works pretty well for an entry level gun. Just watch the needle size for any kind of filler primers, etc. I've only used it for my firewall, but I was happy with the ease of use.

For your axle shaft bearing races be sure not to overheat them. They just need a bit of heat to slide into place. Once they cool, they'll tighten down nice and snug...If you want to see how not to do it, take a look at my build thread.

This is the starting spray gun kit I have. Works pretty well for an entry level gun. Just watch the needle size for any kind of filler primers, etc. I've only used it for my firewall, but I was happy with the ease of use.

For your axle shaft bearing races be sure not to overheat them. They just need a bit of heat to slide into place. Once they cool, they'll tighten down nice and snug...If you want to see how not to do it, take a look at my build thread.
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered new studs from @beno and will be completely disassembling the shafts to clean and paint.

I have about $30 in self etching primer and spray paint in the axle housing alone and am not happy with the durability of the spray bombs. I have never used a paint gun before so this should be interesting. Supposedly the Alk 200 is pretty forgiving to spray and is durable and fast to dry. At $53 a gallon it is really economical.

Careful , looks like Sully has already learned to guard "his" truck , lol . My shep does that as well , even when it's just sitting parked outside and we're working on some other project . He takes his job seriously and has left teeth marks on the side windows more than once when we go for errands , best vehicle security system available ....
Sarge

Careful , looks like Sully has already learned to guard "his" truck , lol . My shep does that as well , even when it's just sitting parked outside and we're working on some other project . He takes his job seriously and has left teeth marks on the side windows more than once when we go for errands , best vehicle security system available ....
Sarge

He hasn't bonded with the 40 yet. He was annoyed that I interrupted his hoof chewing. Shepherds are great dogs. I wouldn't touch "his" boy though.
uploadfromtaptalk1432133253956.jpg

Once he goes for a few rides , the truck will be guarded almost as much as your boy . They figure out what you value quickly , this is how mine reacts when anyone gets within 20 yards of "his" truck -
2014-08-16-833 (2).jpg

The Village idiot walked over to ask if he could dump some sticks into my yard trailer and save a trip - his mistake was walking between my two Toyota trucks and was promptly met with some big teeth and all that fur bristled up . I'm glad this black and red will warn someone first , once he gets the "off" command he leaves them alone . My last black and silver half American bred was more "bite first , ask later" mentality . This all-German Old World has been the easiest to train dog I've ever had , he just gets things .

Your solid black looks pretty serious about the boy , which is good but can also be a bad thing around other kids and I'm sure you know that already . Looks pretty young yet , how old ?

Just how bad is the plumbing on those oil coolers , have considered adding one on my '77 as it's oil temp seems pretty high at full-on Interstate speeds ...

Sarge

Once he goes for a few rides , the truck will be guarded almost as much as your boy . They figure out what you value quickly , this is how mine reacts when anyone gets within 20 yards of "his" truck -
View attachment 1080030

The Village idiot walked over to ask if he could dump some sticks into my yard trailer and save a trip - his mistake was walking between my two Toyota trucks and was promptly met with some big teeth and all that fur bristled up . I'm glad this black and red will warn someone first , once he gets the "off" command he leaves them alone . My last black and silver half American bred was more "bite first , ask later" mentality . This all-German Old World has been the easiest to train dog I've ever had , he just gets things .

Your solid black looks pretty serious about the boy , which is good but can also be a bad thing around other kids and I'm sure you know that already . Looks pretty young yet , how old ?

Just how bad is the plumbing on those oil coolers , have considered adding one on my '77 as it's oil temp seems pretty high at full-on Interstate speeds ...

Sarge
Sully (gsd) is right at 2.5yo. he is the same age within a few months as his boy. We bought from a breeder that specializes in family dog mentality and less of the working dog. I made sure that he is properly socialized and let the kids climb carry and squeeze on him since day one. He listens to me very well and is easily trained. He is obsessed with tennis balls and trying to kill our barn cats. They have now reached an understanding.

Oil cooler doesn't look too bad to install. I will be pulling my dad's fj60 alongside mine when I do it to make sure that everything is plumbed correctly.

Sor has a good diagram of the oil coolers.

I have been reading through your build and am impressed. I have been looking for a blast cabinet for the "shop" (basement, garage, etc.) What setup did you go with? The one in the picture looks to be about the size I am interested in. Thanks for help and the information.
Thanks for the kind words.

The blast cabinet is from tp tools. We are fortunate enough to have them 30 minutes from my house. They build the sand blasting cabinets in Ohio.

Sitting on drum brake axle. I need to be able to roll it so it can go get the pinion angle set up on the disc axle.

I am going to repaint the rear axle w/ shopline epoxy and ppg alk 200 as I am unhappy with how it turned out. once that is done the rear will be on tires as well.

uploadfromtaptalk1432562559154.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom