Removing and reinstalling the CDL actuator (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, patience increases when the only new 80series cdl actuator left for sale is 1000usd+

that's way i had made a blanking plate because i though the job would take days. You could drive it without the actuator with a blanking cover.
Yeah that was a good call on the blanking plate. I don’t daily drive mine but did think about a plate and engage the locker manually. I only need to drive about 10 miles to get to some good wheeling. For me the vehicle is useless off-road without that CDL engaged. I have an Aussie locker in the rear and no front locker. I end up spinning one front tire when trying to climb. You did a great write up on that re-wire by the way.

About to replace my actuator. I decided to go with a 100 series one (bought a used transfercase local to me for $150) and bought this harness adapter from kurt. Think it's the best way going forward since finding a good 80 series one is a PITA now.

About to replace my actuator. I decided to go with a 100 series one (bought a used transfercase local to me for $150) and bought this harness adapter from kurt. Think it's the best way going forward since finding a good 80 series one is a PITA now.
So this harness allows you to connect to a CDL motor from a 100 series Tcase?

I can confirm the 100 CDL actuator has the long, slim plug built into the motor, which that adapter appears to fit.
20230803_111555.jpg

Well, patience increases when the only new 80series cdl actuator left for sale is 1000usd+

that's way i had made a blanking plate because i though the job would take days. You could drive it without the actuator with a blanking cover.
To be fair, we have a few NIB 8x/LX450 CDL's avail BUT our CDL conversion harness is a much better deal and works perfectly.

So this harness allows you to connect to a CDL motor from a 100 series Tcase?
Yes, 100%. Source a new (we stock) or used CDL actuator from any 1998-2007 10x/470 and use our harness to fit on any 8x/LX450.

Yes, 100%. Source a new (we stock) or used CDL actuator from any 1998-2007 10x/470 and use our harness to fit on any 8x/LX450.
Just ordered the harness. You guys rock! Hoping you guys develop a manual setup at some point as discussed in earlier threads. I think there will be demand for it.

Just ordered the harness. You guys rock! Hoping you guys develop a manual setup at some point as discussed in earlier threads. I think there will be demand for it.

It's on our radar and we've played with a bit.

100 series guy here and also interested in a "3rd tcase stick" setting!

I’m trying to manually engage my CDL and could use some advice.

With the actuator removed I am manually turning the removable gear counterclockwise as viewed from the top. It moves about a quarter turn, maybe a bit less. With the vehicle in low or high range and the transmission in neutral (on a lift) I can rotate the front driveshaft with the rear driveshaft not turning. I’ve even put the vehicle in gear on the lift and determined it’s not locked. (I blocked the front wheels and rear wheels will spin when in drive).

How much rotation in the removable gear is needed to engage the CDL? I should be able to manually engage this by hand - correct?

Yes, you can actuate it by hand, at least outside the vehicle with the transfer case removed.

I’m trying to manually engage my CDL and could use some advice.

With the actuator removed I am manually turning the removable gear counterclockwise as viewed from the top. It moves about a quarter turn, maybe a bit less. With the vehicle in low or high range and the transmission in neutral (on a lift) I can rotate the front driveshaft with the rear driveshaft not turning. I’ve even put the vehicle in gear on the lift and determined it’s not locked. (I blocked the front wheels and rear wheels will spin when in drive).

How much rotation in the removable gear is needed to engage the CDL? I should be able to manually engage this by hand - correct?

You might need to rotate a wheel while you try to engage it so the transfer case gears rotate to give the mechanism s chance to line up

You might need to rotate a wheel while you try to engage it so the transfer case gears rotate to give the mechanism s chance to line up
Yes this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom